• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Which end terminal battery solder is better?

frk1206

100 mW
I’m building my battery using the copper / nickel sandwich method. I did the negative side wire solder like this which is kinda yucky:

3FEBD558-B74F-4B2E-9DEF-12BF1F753A9B.jpeg

Then I had a idea and did the positive side directly on copper. Way neater since I was able to do the solder prior to welding:
F8987EC0-44C6-4A66-9174-EA61E551FDCB.jpeg

should I redo the negative one like this? Or are they both okay? Not going to draw more than 40-50amp continuous from the battery.

Whatever thermal damage that may have occurred has already happened. Watch for abnormal self-discharge behavior from that cell group for a few days with no BMS attached.

liveforphysics said:
Whatever thermal damage that may have occurred has already happened. Watch for abnormal self-discharge behavior from that cell group for a few days with no BMS attached.

Oh no you think it’s that bad? I thought some quick soldering not directly on the top of the battery was okay. I can take these cells out and replace with new ones so all is not lost.

2022-09-20 09_57_55-Which end terminal battery solder is better_ - Endless Sphere.png

Sidenote: In the future, don't do this. You run the risk of missing and welding through the side of the cell creating a weld from negative to positive on that cell.

chuyskywalker said:
2022-09-20 09_57_55-Which end terminal battery solder is better_ - Endless Sphere.png

Sidenote: In the future, don't do this. You run the risk of missing and welding through the side of the cell creating a weld from negative to positive on that cell.

Yup thanks that was a dumb idea. I was trying to make it look pretty 🤣

frk1206 said:
chuyskywalker said:

Yup thanks that was a dumb idea. I was trying to make it look pretty 🤣

The fishpaper washers on the positive terminal will add a little insurance against an errant weld hitting the edge of the can.

chuyskywalker said:
Would that make a new turn of the old "hits the fan" phrase, as "when welds hit the can"? :flame:

Back