Why did my spokes break twice at the same climb?

Broke 14 spokes (Most broken yet with a single hit) hitting a hole on the side of a paved path and also slightly bent the lip of my rim. All spokes broke at the elbows. I was using a new rim and 12 gauge spokes. I thought I had this one tensioned properly.

This was an unexpected hole that come out out of no where as I rode from the grass into the hole.

My question is, did my spokes break because I hit ran into this huge hole, or did they break because of bad spoke tension? I was probably traveling pretty medium speed when I hit it.

Why does the front never seem to break any spokes when I am running 14/15 gauge? It's always the rear. I must have also hit the hole with the front tire.

14 spokes broken, I removed them from the nipple so they do not scratch my motor. All spokes broke at the elbow as they always break there.

I came from the right grassy part to cross over the road. I never saw the huge hole.

Here is the part my tire hit. Its about 10 inches deep, flat and sharp.

Part of the rim lip got bent on one side. I don't know if the rim is bent.

Offroader said:
Why does the front never seem to break any spokes when I am running 14/15 gauge? It's always the rear. I must have also hit the hole with the front tire.

14 spokes broken, I removed them from the nipple so they do not scratch my motor. All spokes broke at the elbow as they always break there.

There are a few reasons that the front is more durable and the 14/15 gauge might have something to do with it. Another thing, the front wheel is normally stronger based on how they are generally built (less dish that many hub motors; tangential spoking puts less direct strain on spokes).

I'm in the process of ordering 9/10 gauge spokes. Lets see if I can break those!.

Back