• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Why is my real world ebike so slow compared to ebikes simula

My setup:

MAC 8T motor, upgrade version with double thick phase wires
Gold bullet connectors for motor to controller phase wires
26" wheel with hookworms
Lyen 12FET controller
16S 15Ah LiFe pack
All 10AWG cable for power wires
CA v3 in pass through mode, amp and power limits @ max
Magura throttle
throttle voltages calibrated 100%

My max speed on level ground is 20.5 MPH while consuming 980 watts of power.

Max amperage with throttle WOT during accel is 24 amps. It seems to maintain around 1000 watts during acceleration. The most I've see it hit is 25 amps! I have nearly no voltage sag, the battery pack is very healthy.

According to ebikes.ca calculator I should be pulling more amps on accel (like 40!) and be able to hit ~30mph. What could be limiting the power?

bypass the CA (limiting functions) and see what happens.

Willow said:
bypass the CA (limiting functions) and see what happens.
The CA isn't limiting anything.

I bypassed and connected my throttle direct to the controller and didn't notice any difference in power or speed.

m52 power! said:

I'd expect that number to be around 350 watts, give or take 25%. Whats your no load wheel speed? whats the no load amp draw?

I'd suspect a false positive on the phase/hall combo. but it could also be something dragging in the bike's drive line.

The figures are unrealistic. Are they coming from a broken CA? Loose it like Willow said.

how did you program your controller? double check that. i expect it to have some super low settings for battery/phase amp. another reason could be a not installed 3-way switch. you can program the controller to be at a pre-defined switch position if not switch is installed at all.
so let's say you program it 30/60/100% and set default switch position to pos#2, then you'll never see full power.
so program the controller to eg 50 amp battery and 100a phase and set all speed setting to 100%. then try with ca disconnected and direct connected throttle.
good luck

Drunkskunk said:
m52 power! said:
I'd suspect a false positive on the phase/hall combo. but it could also be something dragging in the bike's drive line.
+1
These figures are not right.

You should be drawing around 370W at 20.5mph - even with a 25A controller - it just doesn't take much power to roll a bike at that speed. So the extra power is going straight to heat which smacks of a hall/phase wiring error.

It's unlikely that this is a controller programming error or a 3-speed switch problem because of the high Watts - otherwise those would look like possibilities. For the same reason, there is nothing the CA could possibly do that could cause the symptoms you describe.

So - go back and address the no-load power draw and phase/hall business and things should settle out (IMHO).

• BTW - your simulator estimate looked good - so you seem to have that matter in hand.

If you back down the throttle setting and 'press simulate' (multiple tries needed...) you can adjust the throttle to hit your 20.5mph speed. Look at the 'Batt Power' field in the table under the plot and you will see the power reading that the CA should be showing. If you have a controller issue, CA issue, or 3-speed switch issue, or if you simply have the throttle backed down, this will be the power being delivered that is holding you back. Since your power draw is much greater, the motor must be using it poorly (phase/hall probably).

Guys I'm sorry I feel like a idiot. I had the phase wires wrong... :roll: I found the correct pattern on lyens site through google search.

Now the thing absolutely hauls butt up to 32MPH and is MUCH more efficient. :mrgreen:

No problem - so many details to get right....
Even though the hints were there, if you haven't messed with this before, they just don't register as real clues.
Very glad it was easily resolved.

Back