Wich controller for 250w pedelec / 1000w throttle?

manitu

100 W
Hi guys!

I'm in the planning stage of a throttle controlled e-bike for offroad commuting. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27043
Only problem is that in europe, the regulation for e-bikes is 250watt /25kph (16mph) , and it has to be pedal contolled.

on-road mode:
250W
25kph max
pedal controlled

off-road mode:
unlimited watts
unlimited speed
throttle controlled

In on-road mode , it would be nice to switch the motor assist on/off with the pedals and adjusting the power with the throttle , but a fixed output of 250W while pedaling would do. (it has to be limited to 25kph/16mph anyway).

In off-road mode , I would like the pedal-sensor to be disconnected.

Wich controller can do this?

.manitu

My view as a fellow European is "why bother"? 8)
And with that I mean a legal e-bike is no fun as you have already figured out. PAS only and a max of 250W and 25Km/h
If you mount a throttle on it and use a controller capable of 1000W it wont be legal. Adding some switches or limiters etc to get the bike to function in the 250W, PAS, 25Km/h framework it's still not legal.
It's not the same regulations for lets say a car where it can be capable of 400Km/h and as long as you stick to the speed limits it's perfectly legal. If the e-bike can pull more than 250W it's illegal.

So my suggestion is, build it like you want it, use a CA to limit yourself to 250W/25Km/h if you want or just be carefull on the throttle when you are "on road". You can even add a PAS sensor and have it on a switch so you can turn it "off". But don't kid yourself that the bike is legal.

Why bother?? well.. Cause I do , I guess.

In my town , wich is hit hard with the neo-facism , I WILL be stopped and have the cops looking over /testing the bike.
I'm not shure of wich method to use for the power-limiting , but it has to be easy and fast to switch modes. My best option would be a controller with dual settings , controlled by a witch.. Don't know if any controllers have such a feature ..(?)

Anyway , thanks for the input.

.manitu

Most of the infineon based controllers have or can be fitted with a 3-mode switch, you can then set a percentage to these 3 "modes" like 20% 50% 100% power. This is usually a "low-mid-high" switch visible on the handlebar but I guess you can build it like a stealth switch.
Other controllers sometime come with a "speed limit" wire, if you short that wire the controller is power limited to European levels, but not sure how that works, and if you want a powerfull controller (and I guess you do :mrgreen: ) then that is not a standard feature.

The point of my previous post was just to say that even limited by a dual mode controller, 3 mode switch, or CA limited, the bike won't be legal. If you just want it to increase your chances of getting out of a situation with the lawman :wink: then I guess a hidden 3-mode switch solution is easy enough.

manitu said:
Why bother?? well.. Cause I do , I guess.

In my town , wich is hit hard with the neo-facism , I WILL be stopped and have the cops looking over /testing the bike.
I'm not shure of wich method to use for the power-limiting , but it has to be easy and fast to switch modes. My best option would be a controller with dual settings , controlled by a witch.. Don't know if any controllers have such a feature ..(?)

Anyway , thanks for the input.

.manitu

Welcome to the club!!!
Here were I live is the same :twisted: The cops are my main concern too. Have a look here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26756
Let me know if you find a way of doing a dual mode e-bike cause I want one too :D
I have 8 packs of LiPo that I've been using on my street legal e-scooter that could be configured 20S2P to have 74V 10Ah nominal. The LiPos are Zippy 5S 5000mAh 40C and I guess in the 2P config they can provide 100Amps continuous easily while climbing 8)

Hi.

Seems like there is a solution, bu can't be shure , until I get the controller.

The infineon controller has a adjustable power-limiter wich you can buy a three-way switch for.
Some people her says it allso has a three-way SPEED limiter , But have'nt confirmed this yet.
Apbout the pedelec sensor.. If there's no other solution , I'll build a small circuit wich requires the pedals to move for the throttle to work. (in "legal" mode)

Now , to control this in a stealth fasion... I'm thinkin of a keykard to get full power , like a miniature of those hotel key-cards.
This way , I can make a small box with a card slot , where I have to insert a card to get full power (microswitches inside).
I could make a hole in the keycard to match one microswitch , to be shure that the correct card has to be used.

I'll know more , when I get the controller.

.manitu

manitu said:
Hi.

Now , to control this in a stealth fasion... I'm thinkin of a keykard to get full power , like a miniature of those hotel key-cards.
This way , I can make a small box with a card slot , where I have to insert a card to get full power (microswitches inside).
I could make a hole in the keycard to match one microswitch , to be shure that the correct card has to be used.

I'll know more , when I get the controller.

.manitu

What about a jumper? Once removed and hidden in your trouser pocket the cops have to shortcut those two anderson power connector red and black that you have labelled as charge socket :p
So, in legal mode the jumper must be removed and when you want all the power you need to plug it

I choose infenion for the switchability. Really like the pedelec over throttle on a full suspension mtb. This summer wil show if the reliability is there.

The question i have if the 250w EU limit is in to the controller, in to the motor or out of the wheel ? My 250w motor takes in to the controller max 850w with the current setup, which is about as much as i dare with the 10ah36v pack.

PetriK said:
I choose infenion for the switchability. Really like the pedelec over throttle on a full suspension mtb. This summer wil show if the reliability is there.

The question i have if the 250w EU limit is in to the controller, in to the motor or out of the wheel ? My 250w motor takes in to the controller max 850w with the current setup, which is about as much as i dare with the 10ah36v pack.

As I understand, the limit applies to the motor rating :), look at EN 15194.

@ bigbore: The keycard ide was for controlling 2 or more switches without relays , in case I need to switch several things. (watts , speed , PAS..)

@petrik: Yeah , Max 250w nominal motor rating , at max 36volts.

Anyhow , I've decided to go with Lyen's modded 12FET 4110 controller.

.manitu

manitu said:
@ bigbore: The keycard ide was for controlling 2 or more switches without relays , in case I need to switch several things. (watts , speed , PAS..)

@petrik: Yeah , Max 250w nominal motor rating , at max 36volts.

Anyhow , I've decided to go with Lyen's modded 12FET 4110 controller.

.manitu

Ok, I've understood the keycard!
I would choose the same controller as I have a 74V 10Ah LiPo pack.
How are you going to turn off the motor as you pass the speed of 25Km/h?
The for the volts could be 48V??
http://www.bike-eu.com/news/2548/cen-standard-for-e-bikes-almost-finalized.html

Back