winter = lazy

the title says it all... i have not done much work on my 2 bikes this winter. but my second bike is almost road worthy although im already having second thought, and want to change frames. the frame i have is a former tres terra callisto that i parted off and am reworking to my own thing.

cons
1. no disc brakes
2. no rear suspension
3. no threadless stem
4. 1 gear

pros
1. lightweight
2. rigid dropouts with torque arm mount
3. generator hub w/ headlight
4. long wheel base and low to ground

the bike has a ebikekits.com 6x10 winding motor and a amped bikes 22a 36v controller and a 36v full twist throttle powered by a not installed 36v 10ah lithium pack(with no BMS)why didnt i get a shot of the battery..idk

Pics of it below

also this has nothing to do with my build but found an old video of my cousin riding a liberty electric bike i had in florida..so i uploaded for kicks.

Attachments

• DSC00641-Optimized.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC00643-Optimized.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
I like frames like this with the slightly low and "feet forward" posture such as the Rans Citi, and the Electra Townie. I also like the extra space in-between the seat tube and the rear wheel. This creates a longer wheelbase and also extra space for a variety of E-bike options.

If you wanted, you can get an internally geared hub (with no spokes or rim) and then order the trike mid-drive kit so that it becomes a transmission mounted just ahead of the rear wheel. http://www.bikepartsusa.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=01-144314&source=froogle

Attachments

• TresTerra.jpg
    TresTerra.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,045
  • TrikeHub.jpg
    TrikeHub.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,045
ya know that idea is now bouncing around in my head. :) i just rear that 80 page RC motor forum for some ideas on some non hub motor drives. also i was motivated enough to make a short video of me replacing a broken throttle,testing the motor and talking about my battery briefly.

[youtube]Bpo18MaqcQg[/youtube]

I purchased 7 Makita 18v 3.0ah lithium packs from doc and yesterday i had just caught the mail man as he was leaving one of those horrid pink slips at my door and thanked him. then saw the customs x-ray sticker...

anyway tore open the box and got rid of the scraps grabbed a few tools and saw that tamper torq screw and said $h!t

but i busted out the trusty dremel pro set and went to town. first pack took me a minute than after that it was smooth sailing on my way to konions.

now i wanna note this is my first time building a 10ah pack before so if some thing are a little off thatll explain it.

after i ripped off the charging boards and cut the cells out and had nothing but green around me before i started testing cell to be good/bad, i got some 16awg copper stranded wire and quickly wired them in an easy to assemble 36v pack and charged them with my 36v 2a lithium charger that outputs a voltage of 41.4v

after the charge had completed i hooked the pack up to my turning watt meter (which im loving by the way) it read that the pack had floated and sat comfortably at 38.4v, letting me know that something was up...has to be some bad cells(as expected)

so i tore the cheap charge setup apart i grabbed the trust fluke meter and tested each parallel pair of cells voltage, and any pair that wasnt at atleast 4v it would have a bad cell (likely 2)

found out i had a few cells reading Zero(8) and a few cells reading 1v (2)
so there was a total of 10 cells bad out of 70 not 2 shabby at all :)

now im at a hault tonite, even though i ran to the store and bought more 60/40 rosin core solder (that i ran out of on charge setup) but im waiting on some wire to wire the cells on the pack.

but i managed to take a snap shot of the konions and also a set of moli milwauke 18650 cells that are on the makita plastic cell cluster

and a pic of the bad cells

Attachments

• DSC00698-Optimized.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC00699-Optimized.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 365
so i started wiring my pack and my darn soldering iron just randomly shut off half way thru the build...started checking the cord for power...thats not it. so i get a screw driver and take the iron apart..cant see anything visibly wrong with it. so i checked the cord for continuity to see if that was the problem....thats not it. so i go any get the only other soldering iron i have and its a 30w radio shack iron. let it heat up for like 10 min, it wouldnt even come close to getting hot enough to burn the 12awg to the cells. so im going to have to run to the store and get a new iron. guess its about time since the one i had was from the early 80's :)

Back