Would a high speed/power Pusher Trailer be "gray-legal"?

winkinatcha

10 kW
I'm in the process of putting together my first pusher trailer, based on a trail-a-bike...

All potential handling wierdness that may occur, I have oft pondered on where a bicycle plus trailer sits in terms of classification by "the Law" (Here in Aus)

Assuming that the trailer is disconnectible from the bike, and hence is not a bicycle, and in this first trial instance will be single wheel, and the letter of the law applies to the bicycle/e-bike as a vehicle and there is no law (that I can find) that refers to the concept of a motorised/powered trailer, do you reckon I could argue that e-bike laws on power don't apply?

Joe

In general, it seems to be the case that undefined vehicles aren't legal. Or at least, they are open to harassment and ticketing, even if a court overturns the ticket.

That's one of the problems in the USA with quad-cycles--they have more wheels than bicycles' typical definition, so they aren't bicycles, but they also obviously aren't cars or other motor vehicles (especially true for pedal-only quadcycles). So that leaves them as possibly "play" vehicles, if there are allowances for undecribed vehicles in that section of the law (some do, some don't), and in general "play" vehicles are not allowed on roads at all, though sometimes are allowed on bike paths.

I have no idea what the Aussie laws are or how they might be interpreted by enforcement on the roads.

There are even places where recumbent bikes aren't a bike as defined in the law, simply because the law specifies a saddle that one must ride astride, which a 'bent doesn't have. Or bikes that have wheels (or a wheel) smaller or larger than some defined size in the law, which while silly is still true. Technically you could argue that the law doesn't apply to something that's undefined, but I don't think it really works that way. ;)

I'm not trying do be difficult, but...I believe it would depend on the officer. Here in the US, most of the officers get really annoyed when they notice that someone has found a loophole in the law. Occasionally a citizen gets before a judge who then throws out the ticket because he agrees with you, but...I wouldn't count on it.

"Revisiting a push trailer"
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9855

I don't think so, but I'm in the USofA. Only speed matters and to be considered "pedestrian" the whole contraption needs to be 20mph or less (Massachusetts law). As pedestrian, I'm not required to carry insurance and all liability in an accident will accrue to the other vehicle, the principal reason my ebike is powered the way it is. I await the day I'm pulled over and ticketed, however. Will be interesting how the court will react.

I believe that techically, you'd be illegal as long as the pusher was attached to the bike.

As others said, what really matters is the attitude of the individual cop.

I'd guess illegal. Technically.

Wasn't there a clause about "pedaling being the primary power source".
Stick a honking big motor anywhere that provides more than 200W will make it a primarily motor powered bicycle.

But if you're not an idiot and the trailer is stealthy you'd probably get away with it. Doesn't help if you're trying to sell a legal kit though.

dnmun said:
if it is pushing from behind, it has to be gay legal.

Bahahaha DNMUN!

Hey thanks for all the replies, N yeah I reckon it comes down to the usual... depends on the LEO and how much of an ass I am with the riding...

There was an interesting situation here in Victoria for a while where motorised (ICE) "scooters" (in this case a contraption with small wheels, upright handle bars at the front, a skateboard like base, and a seat attached via a seatpost to the "board", with an ice motor driving the back wheel), were "unclassified" and for a year or so a young lad made a killing building n selling them to DUI people... but then the law made em illegal, but in doing so kinda admitted that until the vehicles in question were classified by the law, then there were no legal constructs to charge or fine...

An interesting thought anyway and once more big thanks for the replies.

Joe

Gregory said:
I'd guess illegal.

Wasn't there a clause about "pedaling being the primary power source".
Stick a honking big motor anywhere that provides more than 200W will make it a primarily motor powered bicycle.

Hey greg, yeah there is that clause, I was thinking in terms of the"vehicle" being the bicycle" and with primary pedal power, and the trailer being "unclassified" thereby making it a seperate thing from the bicycle and "outside" the law... I guess it all depends on whether a "vehicle" with a trailer is classified as a single entity or not

joe

I'd imagine that with the trailer attached, the bicycle would be a tricycle, still falling into the definition of a pedal cycle, and still limited to 250W...

That's sort of what I was thinking, and guessing cops would think too. Once you connect it, it's part of the "bicycle" which is a classified vehicle.

Maybe a bit of law difference here too. In the USA, I think it's more like " untill it's classified, it's off road stuff." Basicly, the list is not what's prohibitied, but what is permitted here.

Different for aircraft though, FAA rules are more like till we say don't, you can. I guess the sky is offroad?

Back