Yuba Mundo Cargo Bike Cyclone Conversion

Richard Penley

100 µW
First of all, I would like to Thank all of the great guys, who have been posting here. Lurking in the background reading. Great ideas and data. I have a V3 21speed mundo bike coming today. Already purchsed 4 SLAs (12V/20AH) coming on 26th. I know, (54 lbs). Hey. its a CARGO bike! I will be putting a 1200 W or 1500 W motor on it. Three chain kit, and plastic chain roller. Going through TW. I need ordering information quickly. The TW web site does not have hardly any information. Can anyone think of anything else I need to order? Any ideas about 1200W kit versus 1500W kit. Which would be better. Some hills, mostly flat, average daily trip less than 5 miles.

Richard,

I hope you'll post details as you convert the Mundo -- I'm planning a Mundo conversion myself but haven't yet decided how to power it. Here's a recent comment posted on the blog "A Long Walk To Green" that may be useful.

"Watch out because the new Yuba Frame is ovalized and is too wide for the Cyclone and Elation mounting kits in the standard location in front of the crank. I'm thinking about trying to mount the Elation kit behind the seatpost ad the mundo looks to have plenty of room there."

http://longwalktogreen.blogspot.com/2009/01/yuba-mundo-wow.html

Hi All

hillbilly said:
Watch out because the new Yuba Frame is ovalized and is too wide for the Cyclone and Elation mounting kits in the standard location in front of the crank

The eLation system can handle tubes up to 60mm, of almost any shape, including the now common wide ellptical tubes.

Cheers
Allan

Erm ovalised top to bottom or wide? Is that link the bike?

I have a cyclone on an ovalised frame that is just over an inch wide and 60 mm deep the 720 mounting hardware is wide enough to go to approx 60mm wide. I just measured the centre to centre of my holding bolts.

That's before I tidied it up and relocated the controller

Attachments

• file-2.jpg
    file-2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,987
  • file-3.jpg
    file-3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,990
That was my comment on the aforementioned Long walk to green blog. But when I posted I was going by measurements of my frame and the Elation 60mm width limit. Yes the new Yuba Mundos are horizontally ovalised. A quick and dirty measure shows the frame to be about 63 to 64mm (i've not got access to calipers). However I have now got the Elation Kit and the Mundo Frame in the same room and a test fit looks like it should fit fine despite the slight oversize. Likely Allan has built in some margin of error.

I have pics on My Mundo Build blog www.keller74.wordpress.com

I might need to add a chain link or 2 to the Elation straps or order longer straps from Allan ( about $40Aus). Mundo electrifiers could ask Allan to include these in their kit to begin with. They may yet tension into the nylock nuts Ok, i've only gone finger tight so far.

Also I'm not 100% sure that the battery mount will still work out of the box as yet, again due to the width...stay tuned.

Re the cyclone...not sure but the mount looks less flexible thats for sure. A mid mount cyclone/elation on the mundo looks doable. I did test fit the Elation motor and it fitted great in the space above the centre stand mount. You would just need to sort out a neat and safe chain line.

Mark
My Yuba Mundo Build
keller74.wordpress.com

Hi All

all74 said:
Likely Allan has built in some margin of error.
- Margin? Maybe. Error? Never LOL

all74 said:
Mundo electrifiers could ask Allan to include these in their kit to begin with.
If requested at time of purchase we do in normal price. unfortunately after kit is sent we need to cover added costs. Please note though, that is is not wise to order longer ones just to be 'safe' as then they could be too long. If your tube is at the max of 60mm then consider ordering oversized flexi-clamps.

Mark, if you can let me know how the final fit goes. It may be possible to squeeze another mil or two if needed in future prodcution.

Cheers
Allan

Just a quick update to say that the Elation kit tensions up on the Yuba Mundo no problem. Looks great and nice and secure, the wide horizontally ovalised frame seems like it might provide a better grip than a round frame..maybee. The chain also lines up perfectly also with very little adjustment required.

The battery mount looks like it should work fine also.

I should be able to make some comment on performance of the 200Watt kit with the big Mundo in a week or 2.

Pics on my blog My Yuba Mundo Build http://www.keller74.wordpress.com
Mark

Back