Goped scooter battery options?

ESRGT3

100 µW
Hello , ive been looking for some time on the forum because I want to upgrade the batteries
on my goped to some sort of lithium but I am completely lost I hope you guys can give me a
hand please :)

First of all I had in mind doing a 7s setup made out of turnigy 5000's as the scooter is 24v 750w (the controller i think shuts off @30 and a bit volts) but as I cant afford to burn my house down as I charge it inside my house I ditched this option... hahaha :lol: (im into rc car racing and ive seen a couple go off aswell)

My second option and I think the best is to get a 24v 24ah headway setup as I think they can manage high amp draws good right? But I have no clue where the best place to buy them from is, and what type of pcb ? Or bms? I should get. I also like this option as I will be using it quite alot and want my batterys to last over a few years.

Can you guys help me know what I have to buy :?

There's someone in the forsale section selling EIG NMC 20Ah cells that would do the job, and could put out up to 100A continous if needed,

If the scooter shuts off at 30V, that's more like a 36V pack (if it was SLA, 3 "12V" batteries, 10V per battery, which is very dead).

LVC on the EIG cells is 3V, so 10 cells in series would make the LVC work, and give you an average 36V on the discharge curve, with a fully charged voltage of 41 to 41.5V.

If it's only a "24V" system, then with SLA it wouldn't even turn on at all with a 30V cutoff, as 2x 12V SLA is only around 28-29V hot off the charger. So I think either the 24V is wrong or the cutoff is wrong. (or the 30V cutoff is HVC and not LVC).

The EIG cells are flat, and pretty easy to make into a pack, especially since the seller right now has all the hardware already.

The only potential issue with the cells is they are used, but if the ones I have on CrazyBIke2 are any indication, that doesnt' make mcuh of a difference. I've been using mine daily for at least two years now, I think. Might be more; I forget when I got them on there and running it (and I've also used them on Delta Tripper). I"m pulling way more than 750W peaks, too, and usually 400-600W typical, so your usage will probably be lighter and life longer.

If you still wanna go with headway, I'd say look at the most successful headway pack builds here for how to do it, and for where they got their cells from.

It's about 30.5v HVC and around 21v LVC IIRC.

OP - I recommend a power meter to qualify actual requirement. Mine peaked about 60-80A "turbo" mode. There's several re power efforts around here, search GoPed, esr750, esr750ex

Thanks guys ! Yeah sorry I ment that its a high voltage cutoff at 30 something
ill go for the headway cells I only need to clarify one thing, whats the difference between a bms and a pcb? And how many amps should I order it as its a 80amp max draw? Would I need a balance charger to charge or would the pcb bms do the job? I allready have a hyperion 7s charger and a imaxb8 charger but would like a direct pug in setup

thanks alot!! :mrgreen:

I think you may be confusing PCB for PCM (protection circuit module?) I’m not 100% certain if that’s what PCM stands for but I know BMS manufacturers use that nomenclature.

You’d probably be okay with a 30-40A continuous rated BMS/PCM as long as it can handle instantaneous peaks between 60-80A. Once the sled is up to speed the current rolls back to 20-30A or so.

My numbers based on 2005 ESR750ex that I ran for couple years. Newer models with different motors and programming may be quite different.

Also search "patmonts" might turn up some nuggets of info about battery upgrades for ESRs? I think a guy by the moniker "scoot" used Headways for re-power project?

Good luck....

EDIT to add: Why not grab a power meter - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-130A-LCD-GT-Power-RC-Battery-Balance-Watt-Meter-Meter-Power-Analyzer-/181445701784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3f01b098

It's kinda foolish to be "guessing" about current draw when something so cheap and useful is available.

Hello :) I will consider geting one of those watt meters.

What do you think about this bms?

http://www.bmsbattery.com/bmspcm/396-17s26s-24a-max-discharge-current-bms.html

to work together with this charger?

http://www.bmsbattery.com/690-s18-180w-charger-built-in-active-pfc.html

what does active pfc mean??

on another threat ive read something about some chargers turning of and you having to plug and unplug for it to complete a full charge because of something about the bms... I really dont know about this stuff even tho im studying engineering. I just want to order the correct stuff and dont mess anything up.

many thanks for your replies :)

Active power factor correction means that charger presents a friendly, low-distortion load on the mains supply. It's a good thing, but of no relevance to the battery it's charging.

Sorry, dunno anything about that BMS. I use Bestechpower BMS/PCM either purchased though group buy or sold to individuals MOQ = 2 (min order quantity).

PunxOr answered PFC question.

I've bought some of those 400W alloy chargers and they're still working and I wouldn't bother with anything smaller.

The onboard charger should be able to be used for a BMS equipped LifePo4 pack? Pretty good 3A output IIRC?

I would love to be able to use the onboard charger but im not sure
if it would damage the batteries because its for lead acid?? Maybe its
a stupid question anyhow I would have to learn where to connect and how to connect the bms, I have no clue maybe if I post a pic you guys might be able to help, I know theres an official goped video showing how to connect a chargery db8 style balancer if it helps. Yeah I gues Its about 3A charger

I was recently trying to upgrade my GoPed ESR 750 hoverboard and was completely frustrated with how expensive it is going through GoPed and there are very little options available. I decided to do something myself and came up with an excellent clean way top grade to lithium ion. I use a couple of different battery choices and I get anywhere from 25 amp hours 232 amp hours. All the battery setups I have BMS integrated and use a generic charger which cuts the cost of having a buy an expensive charger and having to buy balancer as well. I literally take out everything from the belly pan of the GoPed and replace with a 36v motor controller and lithium batteries. Wiring is not too difficult. Everything is pretty well labeled and self-explanatory. I did the same set up with my dad's GoPed and we are able to get almost 30 miles on a single charge. A huge Improvement from when we had SLA batteries and could only get 3 maybe 4 miles max. If anyone is interested in upgrading I am more than willing to either help or do the job for you. I am able to upgrade to 25.6ah of lithium ion at 36 volts. Includes: 2 batteries 12.8ah each, 36v motor controller, throttle with volt meter intergrated, on/off switch, all wiring xt30 connectors, charger and installation for 500$. I am located in Los Angeles area. 6617330606. For some reason I'm not able to upload pictures on this post so you can text me and I can send you pictures of GoPeds I have upgraded. Thanks

Back