Can I keep my bottom bracket cable guide with a mid-drive?

skestans

100 W
I can't fit the TSDZ2 on my bike because the plastic cable guide that goes under the bottom bracket is too thick. There seems to be about 5mm clearance between the frame and the motor's case and the cable guide is maybe 2-3mm more than that.

I'm talking about the part of the cable guide that goes over the groove where the cable sits in, to keep the cable from popping out of its guide I guess.

I'd really like to alter the original bicycle as little as possible, and ideally keep the cables routed under the bottom bracket as they are now rather than re-routing them.

What are my options? Are there "slim" or "low profile" cable guides I could use instead? Or should I shave off the bridge that goes over the cable on the guide? Would it still work properly without the bridge to keep the cable in place?

FWIW, I have also tried sliding the motor in with the case removed as this gives more space for the guide to clear the case, but it still doesn't fit.

A picture of what you have might help. You could remove it all together and run full length cable housing, which is usually around 5mm diameter. If you don't want full length, you might be able to cut a couple of short lengths that would act like a guide under the bottom bracket. You might need to hot glue it in position until while you get the motor mounted.

Anyway, without a pic it's hard to tell you have going on since there are a lot of styles out there.

this problem has come up before; solutions like this
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&p=1517314&hilit=cable+guide#p1517257
have been used; other solutions are in posts around that on that page, and more are in some of these posts (not all are relevant):
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=cable+guide&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

E-HP said:
A picture of what you have might help. You could remove it all together and run full length cable housing, which is usually around 5mm diameter. If you don't want full length, you might be able to cut a couple of short lengths that would act like a guide under the bottom bracket. You might need to hot glue it in position until while you get the motor mounted.

Anyway, without a pic it's hard to tell you have going on since there are a lot of styles out there.

This is what I have (two different bikes):

O4EehbR.jpg

EqtJY0U.jpg

So, I wonder how long should I run the housing, if it matters that the cables will be moving a little as a result (there is no guide to hold them in place anymore if I put housing), and then there is also the problem of the holding plate at the back of the TSDZ2 (between the bottom bracket and the rear wheel) which, I think, will pinch the hydraulic brake line and the rear derailleur cable.

Back