Tyre Choice - Cast 20" Wheel

ADVBiker

10 µW
Hi all,

I am getting a Magic Pie 5 in the 20" Cast wheel (no spokes).

Looking for advice on my tyre options.

Currently the Donor bike has a 20 x 1.75 tyre, the dealer says its a "1.95 wheel, so presumably i then need a tyre 2-3 inches in width? all i can really find online are scarce options for 2.125 (57-406) or 20" 2.00 BMX tyres.

Does anyone have experience with the magic pie cast 20" wheel and tyre options?

Also if i am right and i need a 2-3 inch tyre would it be best to get the very bottom of the width range at 2.00 or is that going to be unsafe in corners?

Thanks.

You can use whatever width tire you want, from say 20% wider than the rim, on up to as wide as you can fit in the frame.

The only caveat is that cast wheels lack a bead hook on the edge of the rim, so you should not inflate the tire to its rated limit. Usually about 30% lower than the max rating is OK.

ADVBiker said:
Thank you for responding,

Would something like this fit a 20 x 2.15 - or is it going to be a bit too narrow?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-big-ben-plus-greenguard-mtb-tyre/rp-prod154936

The lack of bead hook, what does this mean for installation, is it easier but the tyre is more likely to slip off?

A 2.15" tire should be a very good fit. Depending on how wide the rim is, the tire's inflated width may be greater than its nominal size.

Lack of a bead hook doesn't itself have any implication for ease of mounting, but every rim that doesn't have a bead hook is of single walled construction and thus very easy to get the tire on and off.

Back