Need advice on very low power project

Recursive

10 mW
I've found lots of useful info here(too much!), but nothing that directly answers what I'm looking for. Possibly I should be on a RC or battle-bot forum? But I would like to avoid advice from the inexperienced and I've seen some pretty in-depth knowledge of what's possible here

I've been thinking about building various battery-powered tools. Some that need to be in a much higher power class than what this post is about. I have a few conditions to work with. 1st that I have the Hart 40-volt batteries which are not being used often enough & a pair of 3D-printed holders for those with 12 gauge pigtails(maybe a bit light?). 2nd, I want something in a power range of 1/2~3/4 horsepower. Additionally, I would like something that is capable of controlling the battery amp draw - I'm new at this so I'm assuming there should be many different ways to do that. I also want a controller that can control how quickly it ramps-up/ramps-down on motor speeds & be reversing

I don't want to spend too much, but I also don't want to choose a budget limit just yet. Lets just say I want a best 'bang for the buck' entry-level choice for what will work, and something that wont burn out or break if a mistake is made

I don't want to describe the more interesting project ideas, as they might be worth developing later into a business. But, one example of the sort of thing I would like to do is a Dremel type tool, with a tethered battery on a short cable. Something that's intended to be carried on a shoulder sling, in a large pocket or set on a workbench. Keep the tool head as compact & lightweight as possible by having the motor controller located at the battery. The tool would have a trigger control, so possibly the cable will have three main power leads, and three light gauge wires to connect power,ground & signal. The trigger could be a potentiometer. So this sounds like a bike controller? But scaled-down. Maybe something for a powered skateboard?

Recursive said:
I've been thinking about building various battery-powered tools. Some that need to be in a much higher power class than what this post is about. I have a few conditions to work with. 1st that I have the Hart 40-volt batteries which are not being used often enough & a pair of 3D-printed holders for those with 12 gauge pigtails(maybe a bit light?). 2nd, I want something in a power range of 1/2~3/4 horsepower.

How much power you really need will be determined by the specific work you need it to do. Some power tools need speed, and torque is less relevant. Some need torque, and don't want speed. Some need both. Power is speed x torque. So if you can determine how much of each you need, you can then get a motor suitable for that for each tool, or one that is a good compromise of each if you are only making one tool (or that can handle the worst-case torque load at the highest speed).

I don't want to describe the more interesting project ideas, as they might be worth developing later into a business. But, one example of the sort of thing I would like to do is a Dremel type tool, with a tethered battery on a short cable. Something that's intended to be carried on a shoulder sling, in a large pocket or set on a workbench. Keep the tool head as compact & lightweight as possible by having the motor controller located at the battery. The tool would have a trigger control, so possibly the cable will have three main power leads, and three light gauge wires to connect power,ground & signal. The trigger could be a potentiometer.

If you want the tool head to be lightweight, putting the entire electric system in the "base" and then using a spinning cable (like quite a few tools use, such as my Ryobi 125r weedeater, etc) to drive the head, will make a less efficient but much lighter tool head unit. The few powered dental tools I've run across as "scrap" over the years are also designed this way (some of them are air-driven, some are electric-motor-driven). The catch with this method is there is a limit to the bend curve of the drive cable, and the more it's bent the worse it's efficiency is (more friction against it's casing, etc). So it takes a higher power drive system, and more battery capacity/capability, to do the same work as if the motor is in the tool head.

But you can put a much bigger motor, with much better cooling for it, in the base than you can in the head.

Additionally, I would like something that is capable of controlling the battery amp draw - I'm new at this so I'm assuming there should be many different ways to do that. I also want a controller that can control how quickly it ramps-up/ramps-down on motor speeds & be reversing

The motor controller does both of those.

The normal steps for creating a system to do a job using an electric motor, controller, and battery would be:

Pick a motor that can handle the worst-case load your usage will ever put on it, continuously, forever, without overheating. (ideally)

Pick a controller that can supply the power necessary for that load, continuously, forever, without overheating.

Pick a battery that can supply more than that power (because systems are nowhere near 100% efficient, probably more like 70-80% under heavy loads, or worse).

It's a bit more complicated since you are starting with specific batteries (the opposite of how one would ideally want to do this). You must determine what current output they are capable of, worst case, continuously, and then limit yourself to using controllers that will limit to less than that. Then pick a motor that will still do as much of what you want as possible given the power limitation of the battery you've chosen.

The motor must spin at the required RPM at the voltage you've already chosen, so you'll have to find one with the right kV (RPM/volt) to do this, that also fits in the space you have, and can handle the power you'll need for the job, and is also capable of the torque you need to do the job.

The controller will then follow the command you give it (via throttle, buttons, or computer control, depending on the control system you choose / design) to cause the motor to spin as much or little as you need it to. The typical ebike controller uses the control input to vary the PWM'd voltage to the motor, so it just controls it's speed. Without knowing exactly how you want your system to work, I'd say it's very likely that you would be better off with torque control, which uses the control input to vary the *current* to the motor instead; true FOC controllers do this. Some FOC controllers can operate sensorless, which would make your system simpler, as you only need the three phase wires from controller to motor, and there are no sensors in the motor to fail.

Whatever controller you use, if you choose one with a programmable current limit, you can then increase or decrease it's capabilities by changing this, to match the battery being used to power it. If you start with less-capable batteries, you can limit it to protect them, then get better batteries and increase the limit to match, and thus increase the capability of your system with a simple setting change. (assuming you've chosen a motor that can take the extra, too).

amberwolf said:
Recursive said:
I've been thinking about building various battery-powered tools. Some that need to be in a much higher power class than what this post is about. I have a few conditions to work with. 1st that I have the Hart 40-volt batteries which are not being used often enough & a pair of 3D-printed holders for those with 12 gauge pigtails(maybe a bit light?). 2nd, I want something in a power range of 1/2~3/4 horsepower.

How much power you really need will be determined by the specific work you need it to do. Some power tools need speed, and torque is less relevant. Some need torque, and don't want speed. Some need both. Power is speed x torque. So if you can determine how much of each you need, you can then get a motor suitable for that for each tool, or one that is a good compromise of each if you are only making one tool (or that can handle the worst-case torque load at the highest speed).

I don't want to describe the more interesting project ideas, as they might be worth developing later into a business. But, one example of the sort of thing I would like to do is a Dremel type tool, with a tethered battery on a short cable. Something that's intended to be carried on a shoulder sling, in a large pocket or set on a workbench. Keep the tool head as compact & lightweight as possible by having the motor controller located at the battery. The tool would have a trigger control, so possibly the cable will have three main power leads, and three light gauge wires to connect power,ground & signal. The trigger could be a potentiometer.

If you want the tool head to be lightweight, putting the entire electric system in the "base" and then using a spinning cable (like quite a few tools use, such as my Ryobi 125r weedeater, etc) to drive the head, will make a less efficient but much lighter tool head unit. The few powered dental tools I've run across as "scrap" over the years are also designed this way (some of them are air-driven, some are electric-motor-driven). The catch with this method is there is a limit to the bend curve of the drive cable, and the more it's bent the worse it's efficiency is (more friction against it's casing, etc). So it takes a higher power drive system, and more battery capacity/capability, to do the same work as if the motor is in the tool head.

But you can put a much bigger motor, with much better cooling for it, in the base than you can in the head.

Additionally, I would like something that is capable of controlling the battery amp draw - I'm new at this so I'm assuming there should be many different ways to do that. I also want a controller that can control how quickly it ramps-up/ramps-down on motor speeds & be reversing

The motor controller does both of those.

The normal steps for creating a system to do a job using an electric motor, controller, and battery would be:

Pick a motor that can handle the worst-case load your usage will ever put on it, continuously, forever, without overheating. (ideally)

Pick a controller that can supply the power necessary for that load, continuously, forever, without overheating.

Pick a battery that can supply more than that power (because systems are nowhere near 100% efficient, probably more like 70-80% under heavy loads, or worse).

It's a bit more complicated since you are starting with specific batteries (the opposite of how one would ideally want to do this). You must determine what current output they are capable of, worst case, continuously, and then limit yourself to using controllers that will limit to less than that. Then pick a motor that will still do as much of what you want as possible given the power limitation of the battery you've chosen.

The motor must spin at the required RPM at the voltage you've already chosen, so you'll have to find one with the right kV (RPM/volt) to do this, that also fits in the space you have, and can handle the power you'll need for the job, and is also capable of the torque you need to do the job.

The controller will then follow the command you give it (via throttle, buttons, or computer control, depending on the control system you choose / design) to cause the motor to spin as much or little as you need it to. The typical ebike controller uses the control input to vary the PWM'd voltage to the motor, so it just controls it's speed. Without knowing exactly how you want your system to work, I'd say it's very likely that you would be better off with torque control, which uses the control input to vary the *current* to the motor instead; true FOC controllers do this. Some FOC controllers can operate sensorless, which would make your system simpler, as you only need the three phase wires from controller to motor, and there are no sensors in the motor to fail.

Whatever controller you use, if you choose one with a programmable current limit, you can then increase or decrease it's capabilities by changing this, to match the battery being used to power it. If you start with less-capable batteries, you can limit it to protect them, then get better batteries and increase the limit to match, and thus increase the capability of your system with a simple setting change. (assuming you've chosen a motor that can take the extra, too).

Ok, so I'm beginning with the batteries. Check the power output of those before deciding what sort of work I could expect. OK! However, I've been using the batteries on a standard brushed DC PM motor that runs a leaf vacuum. The amount of work I've seen from that is moderate. And I have a BLDC-powered weedeater that takes the same battery. For that, I'm seeing a work capacity that exceeds the tool example. I know that's a really rough estimate of what I could expect out the batteries, but that's where I'm starting from so far

I think I should install a shunt in both of those tools and monitor the amp draw as I run the battery down. That might be useful to know

I have a feeling I shouldn't be too specific until I know more about how various motors & controllers work. I was looking around for more info to help in this reply, but there's just way too much to dig into

I think a skateboard controller is what I want, but I'm just guessing with very limited knowledge. I've seen at least one that has a max battery voltage of 50.4 volts. My batteries get up to 42 with no load and fresh off the charger. I think that should take care of one small detail in coming up with something. I doubt I would want the motors that outfit was selling. All 190KV

But that little side excursion brings up yet another question, as they were mentioning that their controller works with an open source VESC software. From the little I've seen on that just now, I think a VESC controller might be useful for the sort of things I'm interested in

I think VESC is exactly what I'm looking for. I just need to find a VESC controller that's right for my project

So I think I should be looking at 12s rated controllers. My batteries are NiMh and never go past 42 volts

For now, I'm thinking about a 50 amp shunt. But something that's more compact would be nice. Guess I'll put motors & controllers on hold for the next few hours and just think current monitoring

Back