1 day, 2 kWh, 288 km Sydney loop ride on 1 charge

120km in, stopping for lunch because we may not have another good chance.

There'a a big climb ahead of us that we can see in the distance. :shock:

Looking forward to 150km, the half way mark.

Perfect weather, 20 deg C, bit of cloud.

Cheers, Abraham

100km! Just 200 to go. Ebike ride going great, lovely bike track through shellharbour.
scaled.php

Brunch stop in Jamberoo. Still on our first parallel battery pack! Huge climb to Bowral looms ahead. 10:45am
scaled.php

http://twitter.com/#!/GlowWormBicycle

Part way up Jamboree mountain, battery has run out. Swapping over to parallel pack 2.
h2u4ytsj:iphone

Controllor overheated. Avanti eZee conversion is ok thanks to 27 spd. 50kg Torq not too happy with the extreme hill. Cooling off now.

We're at the top!! Behind time schedule but ahead of battery schedule. And elated. Just 170km to go..
nxhexjoj:iphone

We've completed 170km now, over 100mi.

After the first 120 km, the next 40km had some unbelievably steep hills, bikes legs and lungs working at the limit.

We are behind schedule and it looks like rain, but we are pushing on or now.

Still fine for battery :)

Cheers, Abraham

Hey why didn't you just take the car. Its a 3hr drive? :lol:

I really hope you make it guys. You will learn a lot about how to improve you ebikes for long distance rides. Nothing like real world tests.

The only way people can appreciate the distance on a bike is if they try it them self.

Kurt

An hour and a half or maybe two hours before sunset, sounds like it's going to be close but I have faith. Power to you both !!!

Delayed tweets from twitter

@ ~3pm
Note to other cyclists. Robertson to kangaloon is beautiful but insanely steep
188gysfj:iphone

@ ~4pm
Still at it. Passed Bowral where we stuffed our faces. Skies threaten rain

@~5pm
Finally hit 200km we're 2/3rds done. Pushing through and looking forward to seeing Sydney again
AdOZf5wCEAAbgal.jpg

From twitter

@ ~7:18pm
Going through the Hume Hwy cycle detour as they made no space for bicycles on M5 leading to a death and then its closure. 40km to go!

Nearly there guys. Awesome work.

From twitter

@ ~7:52pm
255 km down after cycle analyst reset. Dark but we have bright lights. Time to keep riding!
AdO7MsSCIAAaTfK.jpg

@ ~8:35pm
Bexley rd turnoff! Leaving M5. Almost home...

Excellent work guys, 1.8kw for 300km is really good going... i bet you will both sleep for a week after that though :)

Congratulations on an huge epic ride.

How did you pull up today? :D

Thanks guys & special thanks to Adrian_SM for keeping the thread updated for us!

Maurice felt fine today, I'm fine too though my knees are not happy. I did 20 km of ebiking today and consider it my 'cool down' lap for yesterday :D

After mapmytracks stopped working, we lost what we were hoping would be a good source of stats on distance, average speed, and elevation. Not the end of the world though, we re-mapped the route on google maps today and you can see it varied slightly from our orignal plan:

google-map-of-ride.jpg

The bad news is that it only ended up to be 288 km! 12 km short of our goal to beat Kingfish's 300 km 1 day ride. :? However, we did exceed his longest ride on a single charge (266 km). :D

This shows the section of our ride that was especially hilly and challenging between Kiama and Bowral:

hilly-section.jpg

Here's the short stats:

Distance: 288 km (179 mi)
Total ascent: 3,538 meters (11,609 feet)
Total time: 16 hours, 12-13hrs in the saddle.
Battery usage: 1865 Wh (Abraham), 2088 Wh (Maurice)
Rate of energy use: 6.47 Wh/km (Abraham), 7.25 Wh/km (Maurice)

I suspect that Maurice's higher energy use was because he led most of the way, giving me some benefit of riding in his draft. If we had worked harder to sustain higher average speeds and I had drafted even more tightly on his back wheel, I think the differences in battery consumption would have been far greater.

I've pulled out a few photos taken from the GoPro before it conked out. I had hoped it would get a time lapse of the whole trip but it died after just a few hours. Next trip I will bring a bike GPS and DC-DC converter to keep phones, cameras and gadgets all charged while riding!

View attachment 8
GOPR0148-s.jpg
GOPR0188-s.jpg
GOPR0192-s.jpg
GOPR0237-s.jpg
GOPR0357.jpg
GOPR0361-s.jpg
View attachment 1

We really enjoyed the scenery with beaches, cliffs, rain forests, gumtree bushland, rolling farmland like an english country side. There were some fantastic roads too with nice descents where we could hold 50 km/h and more for quite a while.

The bikes performed well neither of us got a single puncture rolling on Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, despite riding across tons of glass and debris on highway road shoulders and breakdown lanes.

In terms of our original energy budget of 2 kWh, I was a bit under and Maurice was a bit over. Had we gone the full 300 km or any faster then we did, 2 kWh would not have been enough. I actually convinced Maurice that we should take a 5th battery each as backup, bringing the total up to 2.5 kWh and we almost didn't end up using them but in the last 10 km with our voltage dropping and speed coming down correspondingly, we made the swap and sped through the last few km.

I'll try to post a bit more photos and footage if I can tomorrow.

Cheers, Abraham

Fantastic pics, amazing ride and a real achievement especially at 200W !!!

That area between Berry & Bowral is beautiful and VERY steep in places. I can understand why you overheated!

remf said:
Fantastic pics, amazing ride and a real achievement especially at 200W !!!

Are they really only 200w ? 6A controllers :shock: . I would have thought they would be 15A or so? For a good 500w to be able to use 6-7whr km .

Congrats on finishing the ride in one day. :D

Its a bit of inspiration to take on my own adventure. Little bob trailer full of battery's behind my trike.

36 volts sounds like it is nice voltage for long distance. So was your average speed around 23kph?

A peddle assist system it most likely a great way to make sure your doing your part to keep the whr's down.

Is it actually legal to ride a bike on a motorway?

Kurt

well done
could you put up more info on batteries such as
volts/ahr, number of packs, current draw etc
whr I find confusing to understand, but volts/ahr makes sense

FYI
Watts = Volts * Amps
Watt hours = Volts * AmpHours

So 48volts 10 AmpHours = 480 watt hours
24volts 20AmpHours also = 480 watt hours

Thanks for the kind words guys!

There is already talk of where to do our next big ride :) Wednesday is the only day our shop is closed so we might stick with this concept of pushing the limit of a 1 day ride.

The day after, we spoke with someone who just finished the 256 km Fitz's Challenge on a normal bicycle, with 4700 meters of total climbing and a 13.5 hour limit.

It's humbling to see what fit riders can do under their own power!

Next time we will try different data logging of speed/elevation/position so we have average moving speed information. I may try to use my old Garmin Edge 350 plugged into some extra lipo cells on the USB charge port. From past experience it doesn't last more then 5 hours otherwise.

To answer the question about riding on a motorway, yes you can as long as you don't see signs that say you can't. We encountered a section where the signs put us on a detour around a section of motorway where a cyclist was killed in the past. (apparently that's a sensible solution to the problem… :roll: )

@Hillhater, yes this time no tiny salads with quiche were consumed :)

Our first lunch we had burgers & chips. Maurice asked me specifically document photographic evidence of eating meat to put you at ease. My veggiebuger on the other hand is not pictured! Next time we will look for pies or bring our own and an oven strapped to the back rack. :lol:

photo 1.JPG
That gave Maurice the energy to clown around like this on rest stops:

photo 2.JPG
And later we had a second lunch where we bought all of the remaining prepared food at a small Japanese takeaway shop. Only about a quarter of what we ate is pictured:

photo 3.JPG
@whatever

I quoted watt-hours used because it's not system specific so people can relate to it no matter what voltage or battery chemistry their bike uses. Adrian's example above highlights that.

The batteries are eZee 36v14Ah packs and we carried 5 each in the end. They are the standard 'large' battery fitted to eZee bikes and conversion kits. There is also a 36v10Ah battery option but they use the same sized cases and we wanted to minimise the number of packs we carried! We started the day with 2 packs in parallel on each bike so they worked as one large 36v28Ah pack. When they ran out, we swapped to the next 2 packs in parallel. In the last 10km, we swapped to our 'emergency' 5th pack to speed up our return home on very tired legs.

Cheers,
Abraham

thanks for the info glow worms,
I now understand a bit more on whr but knowing what packs you used I can easily visualise what you had to carry.
I realise theres a 130watt ( continous : 200w peak) limit in oz ( now 200w continous ( not peak) in vic not sure about other states if they have followed vic)
Can you say your peak current draw on a public forum ( considering your a retailer)
Also have you considered a solar panel assist? using rc charger, not sure if you can use solar panel directly into rc charger ( or via mppt) its something I would like to find out if solar panel can connect directly to rc charger, is so I think pretty simple to set up some solar assist.

Back