• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

1 Year Down The Road: Hardtail 29er Hub Drive Evolution

daytonampco

100 mW
This bike build started out with me thinking about SUV's. I wanted something that'll get from A to B comfortably with moderate efficiency regardless of weather and still be capable of hitting some light trails on the weekend.

Donor bike was a Cannondale SL-5 29er medium frame MTB. I had done quite a bit of trail riding on this bike beforehand so I knew its quirks well.

IMAG1181_zpseswkc7df.jpg

IMAG1200_zpsaulokehz.jpg

V1.0: The first incarnation began with a Conhismotor 1500w (48V/30A) hub motor kit and a Luna 52V/20AH Samsung 26f triangle pack. I mounted the controller in the supplied bag and stuck on some Topeak fenders. Neither the controller nor the fenders lasted long. The Topeak rear fender slapped around and offered next to no splash protection. They were the first thing to go.

IMAG1225_zpsxnxs3igf.jpg

IMAG1228_zpswunxu9cf.jpg

IMAG1229_zpsuykk14fx.jpg

V1.5: I changed out the fenders and bought the biggest storage bag I could find. The controller bit the dust when my room mate took the bike for a spin and came back on foot five minutes later. Putting the controller in the bag was a huge mistake. I replaced it with a Conhismotor regen capable 48V/30A controller. According to the LCD display it peaks at 1800W and holds steady at 1650W.

IMAG1234_zpsukpcdfkq.jpg

V2.0: I added an Axiom DLX Streamliner rack and Zicome kickstand. It turns out that the rack's seatpost mounts were the perfect spot for the controller. All of the wiring tucked neatly between the fender and rack. With the bags on you can hardly tell that it's an e-bike.

I also opted to try out a rather padded springer seat at this time. The change in comfort was marginal at best but the bike became significantly harder to control at speeds over 15 mph. It just felt very "loose" because I couldn't sling it into corners with my hips anymore.

IMAG1288_zpsyedfubah.jpg

IMAG1287_zps6hkbnpu0.jpg

V2.25: I added a combination tail light/brake light. The center light is on/off switchable and the outer lights are hooked up to the front brake lever. The right brake lever is connected to the controller. I also painted the controller black to make it slightly more stealthy.

IMG_0132_zps0rizzedd.jpg

IMG_0128_zpswf1dhplf.jpg

IMG_0129_zpso0dyejqu.jpg

V2.5: I changed the seat out for one off of an old Magna MTB. I have since found the original bike seat and will mount it in the future.

IMG_0123_zpstxwhxv9c.jpg

Aside: WET conditions, standing water, and snow. I've never ridden this bike in the pouring rain. I'd rather not take the risk. However, I often ride it after heavy rain as it makes the trails through the woods here a lot more fun and challenging. This bike has been through more mud and muck than I can mention. It's also crossed a flooded field with standing water 8"-10" in depth. The fenders do a tremendous job of keeping the mud and water off of the sensitive bits of the bike and the motor is sealed well enough to deal with some serious splashes. (I'd never risk submerging it.) The thing even handles snow pretty gracefully as long as you respect the limits of those goofy Kenda Small Block 8's.

IMG_0138_zps9nvruods.jpg

IMG_0140_zpsprltfirv.jpg

Summary: I accomplished my goals. I can do 40+ miles at 15 mph, haul a crapload of cargo, and scoot off onto dirt/mud trails without getting stuck. I can ride with traffic at 35 mph and not get flattened. It's reliable, a ton of fun, and almost unrecognizable as an e-bike to most people. I've only been made twice by other e-bike owners in nearby Yellow Springs.

Yes, I'd love to have a stealth bomber, but I had to make a reasonable compromise of cost and performance and did so quite well to fit my own needs. Thanks for reading my rambles. Hope you have a great holiday season. Keep on pedaling (or not)!

Yeah, the controller thing was a pretty foolish move...

I've had two flats. Neither was while riding. My back tire was suddenly flat after two non-consecutive bitterly cold nights early this year. The tubes were cheapos. I put a slime tube in there after the second flat and haven't had an issue since. I tend to run 40-50 PSI in the rear and 30-35 PSI up front.

I have a 29er also and love it 1000 w will do 35 plus if needed but I like 15mph and ride for 30-40 miles also if needed in my beach town, great in the sand also but does drain the batt a 20amp.
Good luck

Great post daytonampco, fun and interesting to read about the evolution of a very cool bike. Great job.

Keith Pegg said:
I have a 29er also and love it 1000 w will do 35 plus if needed but I like 15mph and ride for 30-40 miles also if needed in my beach town, great in the sand also but does drain the batt a 20amp.
Good luck

Mine tops out at about 38 mph flat out. Restraint is the hardest part of riding. I can drain the battery far too quickly if I get aggressive. :mrgreen:

Wolfeman said:
Great post daytonampco, fun and interesting to read about the evolution of a very cool bike. Great job.

Thanks! It's a work in progress. I still want a bit more torque. I'm not sure how much upping to 50 amps would help since it is still a 29er.

daytonampco said:
V1.0: The first incarnation began with a Conhismotor 1500w (48V/30A) hub motor kit and a Luna 52V/20AH
V1.5: I replaced it with a Conhismotor regen capable 48V/30A controller. According to the LCD display it peaks at 1800W and holds steady at 1650W.

How do you like the motor and controller, and did you go for the Sinewave Controller?

I am thinking about buying their 1500W motor and their Sinewave Controller.

Also if you got the info handy, what is the diameter of the motor?

markz said:
How do you like the motor and controller, and did you go for the Sinewave Controller?

I am thinking about buying their 1500W motor and their Sinewave Controller.

Also if you got the info handy, what is the diameter of the motor?

Yes, I went for the sine wave controller. Overall I am pretty satisfied. It is extremely quiet compared to a square wave controller, especially at lower RPM. There is a slight HF whine during operation but that's about it. Road noise at 20 mph drowns it out.

The motor diameter is somewhere around 9.5 inches. I held a tape measure and eyeballed it since the bike is set back for winter storage.

9.5"(24cm) is not bad, the Crystalyte 400 series is 20cm (flanges) and 17cm (hub).

I want to buy now so I can rip up the skating rinks and home made leisure rinks on public property on my DIY studded tires. Research reasons ;)

I saw on the Calender that the Chinese New Year is soon.

$700 for the bike (new) at a local shop.
$630 shipped for the battery.
$440 shipped for the motor kit
$35 Axiom rack
$55 Planet Bike fenders
$52 Roswheel bags
$30 tail light

I ordered a Luna bluetooth 60A programmable controller this evening for an additional $97 bringing the grand total to $2039 with the e-bits being $1167 of it. That's a lot of money when I actually add it up. If I'd do it again I'd have build a full suspension mid-drive (Cyclone or BBSHD) and use a backpack mounted battery.

Can't wait to see what 50 amps continuous feels like. I'm capped at 30A continous and maybe 35A burst right now. Regardless of how quick it is with the new controller, I'll still be dreaming of catching mad air and doing wheelies on a mid-drive.

daytonampco said:
I ordered a Luna bluetooth 60A programmable controller this evening for an additional $97 bringing the grand total to $2039 with the e-bits being $1167 of it. That's a lot of money when I actually add it up. If I'd do it again I'd have build a full suspension mid-drive (Cyclone or BBSHD) and use a backpack mounted battery.

Can't wait to see what 50 amps continuous feels like. I'm capped at 30A continous and maybe 35A burst right now. Regardless of how quick it is with the new controller, I'll still be dreaming of catching mad air and doing wheelies on a mid-drive.

Which controller did you order? I'm feeling the same way about my build, but it's definitely a case of, "That grass is way greener over that fence..."

Wolfeman said:
daytonampco said:

Which controller did you order? I'm feeling the same way about my build, but it's definitely a case of, "That grass is way greener over that fence..."

Well, I definitely spread some misinformation here. I was confusing an old "1000w" eBay kit controller (33A +/- 1A max) with my current Conhismotor "1500w" controller (45A +/- 1A). At a full 58.8V charge that's over 2600w assuming no sag. Even with a couple of volts sag that is still A LOT of power. I guess I already just about know what 50A feels like. :mrgreen:

The new Luna (Yuyang King) 60A Bluetooth controller I ordered capped out at a touch over 35A max on the same battery. Bottom line is that it is noticeably slower than the $60 conhismotor "1500w" controller. My test bike for the Luna was lighter and had a marginally smaller tire. Kind of disappointing. I can think of a few reasons it did-different phase connectors employed, smaller phase wires on the test motor, general QC of Chinese controllers, FET quality, possibly fewer FET's (smaller size) etc. I won't be buying another one of those controllers.

Seems like I got it right the first time. The drivetrain remains unchanged. All I did was add more storage and accessories.

IMG_0514_zps0xx4o7lb.jpg

Back