1000 Miles In - JoyKie 350W 36V Mountain Bike Review (Risky Cheap Chinese Bike Purchase)

jetpackjbd

100 W
I’ve had this bike for about 10 months now which I bought on Amazon for $450, $550 with shipping. I’m not even sure what it is and can’t find it anywhere else, it was listed as a HILAND ROCKSHARK but has no Hiland logos on it. The sticker underneath it says it’s manufactured by JOY KIE TECHNOLOGIES, but even then it’s hard to find my model online. Apparently it’s a “Model: ROCKM007 gy-75A455-350WA”.
Amazon Link
3C47E1D8-86B6-4817-AA0F-1320AC2DE079.jpeg
B958B9C3-E1C9-4BBC-A4D1-5B449C1CD1C1.jpeg
So, even though you probably won’t be buying this model anywhere, this review should apply to a lot of cheap Chinese eBikes:

Quality: It’s fine. The welds are kind of ugly but seem strong, most of the parts are off the shelf from brands I recognize, and nothing major has gone wrong. The shifter arrived with a crack in it but was still functional, and I used it for about 400 miles like this. Their support is terrible though, I tried to message them at one point about the broken shifter and got no response, they likely only deal with Chinese customers. Maybe my email got flagged by The Great Firewall. It’s a $20 part, whatever. Battery is holding up fine and hasn’t even gotten warm. No squeaks yet! (outside of the things I installed on the handlebars myself).

Repairs Done: Most of the repairs are from general usage or my mistakes. I’ve had to adjust the shifting a few times, the brakes need adjustment every hundred miles for some reason, and the tubes have been replaced numerous times. More “major” repairs were my fault; I got my chain all tangled and ending up cutting the shifter cable to fix it while trying to replace the rear tube. The front wheel bearings failed recently which might’ve been my fault, as I had loosened them at one point to reapply grease (they never seemed to move as smooth as a new bearing should) and I don’t think I tightened them enough, causing a bearing to chip and the balls spilling out of the races. My biggest issue has been the brakes. They fail in some way roughly every 100 miles. Currently, they’re both a bit loose and the rear brake spring “skips” and releases if I brake harder than it wants to. One day it’ll be looser and skip, the next day it’s mostly fine. I have to take apart the brake calipers to fix the skipping by reseating the spring and adjusting the screws. There’s a bit of a wear mark inside the caliper from where the spring skips but I don’t know what was causing it to do so in the first place. Replacing the caliper would fix it I’m sure, but it’s still annoying to have to replace something that failed after ~400 miles. The seat ripped too, but it was uncomfortable anyways and I had had the bike upside down on the dirt so it’s mostly my fault.
BE238387-590B-4533-995D-86A2CC3502C4.jpeg

Advertised vs Reality: The listing claimed a range of 30-50 miles with pedal assist, or a range of 26-40 miles with throttle only. That’s misleading, although I will say the range hasn’t gotten much worse in 1000 miles. It’s more like 20-30 miles with pedal assist if you drive reasonably, and 10-20 miles by throttle only. It’s still more than enough range for me but it’s something to be aware of. I go about 3 days between charges, riding ~6 miles each day. I could squeeze a bit more range out of it but I’m trying to preserve the battery life by not fully cycling it. The speed claims are actually accurate though, if not understated. They claim 21MPH throttle only, and I’ve gotten up to 22MPH throttle only (wow!!). They also claim 25MPH with pedal assist, but that depends on many conditions like the driver’s strength and terrain. I’ve gotten up to 35MPH once going down a steep hill pedaling as hard as possible with full assist (weak numbers to some of the people here, I know), but typically the most I can do on normal land is 23MPH or so. The trails are twisty here so I only choose to go about 17MPH if that.

General Complaints: Besides the brakes that love to fail, I have some other annoyances with the bike. First off, the pedal assist lags by half a second. Maybe it’s normal for it I have a delay for “safety”, but in my experience it’s annoying and a little unsafe. Not only does it take half a second to turn on once you start pedaling, it takes half a second to turn off when you stop pedaling. Luckily the brake sensor cuts it off with very minimal delay, but it’s still a little concerning. I should also mention one of my brake sensors came unsoldered, but since I turned off pedal assist it favor of throttle-only I haven’t bothered fixing it. Controlling the assist manually with the throttle is a more pleasant experience. Another annoyance is that only one color option of the bike came with a headlight, for the same price. I didn’t notice until after I bought it, so I don’t have a headlight (but I still have the ability to turn on the absent headlight by holding the up button). I might be able to add one, but I haven’t needed to open it up and have an excuse to find the connector. I think the controller or display was originally designed for SLA batteries, as the battery display is very misleading. The battery chart decreases with voltage drops and rises when unloaded again. It doesn’t really show until the charge is below 70% or so. Thankfully there’s a voltage readout as one of the menus, otherwise I wouldn’t trust it. 3/5 battery only shows at 36V and below according to the meter, and only goes into 2/5 at around 33V.
0DEA7E48-A6FA-4146-B821-AD279F0C075E.jpeg

Positives: It’s a great first eBike if you’re on a budget and don’t mind doing some work every so often. The other cheap eBike brand at the time was “TotGuard” at a slightly lower price, but the main reason I chose this instead was that I didn’t want a name that means “Toddler Protector” on my bike.

-As an eBike, it’s somewhat discreet as the battery isn’t sticking out, it’s inside the frame. The thick frame, wheel motor, and controls give it away, but it’s not obvious at a glance to someone looking for e-bikes to steal (I hope)

-In my case, I think 350W is the sweet spot, as I don’t need to go fast on our twisty roads and I don’t need more power for gravel or dirt roads. It can keep its speed up hills too, peaking at around 17MPH. It doesn’t like going up hills; I can hear the motor strain and see the battery voltage drop, but it’ll do it.

-It’s surprisingly quiet, motor noise is audible but the tire noise is louder. Even so, my dad’s new-ish road bike is louder to the driver than this bike is with a motor and fatter tires.

-Even if it was just a normal bike, this would still be the fanciest bike I’ve ever owned. It’s got an easily adjustable suspension, disc brakes, and a thumb shifter, which is a step up from my previous 4 bikes.

-It’s reasonably comfortable. It only has basic front shocks but it still manages to absorb the feeling of cracks in the sidewalks. You still feel big bumps like a 2 inch gap in the sidewalk or going over a curb, but I think that’s standard with almost any suspension. The big tires alone do a lot of shock absorption, especially at lower pressure.

-It’s built pretty well. Nothing stands out to me as a design flaw, just some cheap parts. They cheaped out on the right things to save money without affecting much of the user experience (except brakes, grrr…).

UPDATE: At ~1200 the throttle started cutting out and giving me an E08 code each time. I tried replacing it twice and neither worked, giving the E08 code the entire time as if they weren’t hooked up, or they were giving lower values than the original one. I broke the original one trying to look for loose wires inside, so now I don’t have a working eBike. The manual says it’s a hall sensor error, but I’m pretty sure that’s because the throttle uses a hall sensor. At least I hope that’s the reason. So I’ve been stuck with my eScooter and normal bike for a few weeks. I’ll fix it at some point, hopefully.

Last edited:
Well-done detailed review! :bigthumb:

You have identified common BSO substandard quality issues with the hub bearings and brake caliper inability to achieve or remain properly adjusted. High probablilty that the next components to experience similar issues (failure or inabililty remain properly adjusted) would be the BB and suspension fork bushings.

The low price point is universally appealing but actually false economy if you plan to keep the bike for an extended period or ride it often. It will require several component upgrades to reduce user frustration and increase safety.

Curious as to how the battery holds up...

PS: The front hub bearing issue may not be user error. ;) Oftentimes, lower quality hub bearings can be impossible to adjust correctly for the required free-running/minimal play. Or, once adjusted correctly, will not stay in adjustment.

I'd replace it. A bad failure there risks high injury to the rider.

most of the parts are off the shelf from brands I recognize
That's assuming they're "real". I'm pretty sure there's plenty of counterfeit parts out there of every brand of every type of item you can imagine, even though there's seemingly no point to counterfeiting cheap stuff, it happens anyway. :/

The other cheap eBike brand at the time was “TotGuard” at a slightly lower price, but the main reason I chose this instead was that I didn’t want a name that means “Toddler Protector” on my bike.
That's actually the Mr Potatohead company, guarding you against unsafe tatertots. ;)

I think the controller or display was originally designed for SLA batteries, as the battery display is very misleading. The battery chart decreases with voltage drops and rises when unloaded again. It doesn’t really show until the charge is below 70% or so. Thankfully there’s a voltage readout as one of the menus, otherwise I wouldn’t trust it. 3/5 battery only shows at 36V and below according to the meter, and only goes into 2/5 at around 33V.
I've seen this kind of thing in different ways when a battery is one series cell more or less than what the meter was setup for. (14s battery on a 13s setup, etc). Sometimes there are menu settings for this, often there aren't.

First off, the pedal assist lags by half a second. Maybe it’s normal for it I have a delay for “safety”, but in my experience it’s annoying and a little unsafe. Not only does it take half a second to turn on once you start pedaling, it takes half a second to turn off when you stop pedaling.
That's unfortunately common with cadence-type PAS controllers, partly because of software design, partly from hardware constraints. Some of the delays are much longer than that one.

Even the cycle analyst (best of the cadence-PAS response times I've seen) has some short delay responding to the cadence sensor simply because it takes time to count pulses from it as it spins. (the more magnets on the sensor disc, the less delay there will be)--but if you pedal backwards even a teensy bit it instantly stops sending the signal to the controller (or activates regen braking if you turn that option on). (also, the CA does actual cadence control, not just on/off assist levels, so you can use the pedals as a throttle)

Well-done detailed review! :bigthumb:

You have identified common BSO substandard quality issues with the hub bearings and brake caliper inability to achieve or remain properly adjusted. High probablilty that the next components to experience similar issues (failure or inabililty remain properly adjusted) would be the BB and suspension fork bushings.

The low price point is universally appealing but actually false economy if you plan to keep the bike for an extended period or ride it often. It will require several component upgrades to reduce user frustration and increase safety.

Curious as to how the battery holds up...
Thanks!
The BB hasn’t given me any signs of issues, I think that’s going to outlast the frame. At least I hope so, as I don’t have the tool to replace it…

Something in the suspension may be going out, not sure what though. It doesn’t fully bounce back when unloaded unless I push on it, giving me less travel than it should have. I’ll try oiling it for now to see if that loosens it up a bit.

I’m hoping the battery holds up quite a while, it should only have around 80 cycles so far. I’d expect it to theoretically last another 10 years if I do 1000 miles/80 cycles a year. Good LI-ION cells should survive well over 800 cycles, right?

I’m hoping the battery holds up quite a while, it should only have around 80 cycles so far. I’d expect it to theoretically last another 10 years if I do 1000 miles/80 cycles a year. Good LI-ION cells should survive well over 800 cycles, right?
Ten years is pushing it. Realize that they age and deteriorate just sitting on a shelf. Some cells are better at chronological aging effects than others.

Something in the suspension may be going out, not sure what though. It doesn’t fully bounce back when unloaded unless I push on it, giving me less travel than it should have. I’ll try oiling it for now to see if that loosens it up a bit.
Some thoughts:
Does it have bearings in the suspension and spring pivots, or just bushings?
Are the bushings metal, or plastic?
Are the pivots correctly aligned with each other? (so that both sides of all the pivots have the identical axis of alignment thru them; if they don't the bushings/bolts/pins could bind; at least till they wear-in).

Good LI-ION cells should survive well over 800 cycles, right?
Possibly, but I wouldn't expect there to be good cells in a pack that comes with a bike like this. Probably not bottom-of-the-barrel like the recycled-garbage-cell packs some places sell, but probably not great ones either.

Also, has been pointed out, calendar aging (even if the cells are never used) still occurs, so combining both time and usage will age the cells "more thoroughly".

I purchased a set of Shimano 200 disc brakes from Amazon for $60 and (even if they're knock-offs) they work great (This was a year or so ago). Also,I saw a set on Aliexpress recently for $30, but I'm anti-Ali (check Berm Peak on YouTube if you're interested).

I purchased a set of Shimano 200 disc brakes from Amazon for $60 and (even if they're knock-offs) they work great (This was a year or so ago). Also,I saw a set on Aliexpress recently for $30, but I'm anti-Ali (check Berm Peak on YouTube if you're interested).
Good to know, they haven’t had any issues like frequently falling out of adjustment? It’s possible that the reason my brakes keep coming loose is that that I haven’t tightened the cable screw enough, but I’m afraid of cracking the cheap aluminum casting.

I haven't needed to do anything in the year or so they've been on the bike. FME, hydraulic brakes need to be bled occasionally, but not until they feel "spongy" or the lever depresses too far before they're activated.

Back