12fet IRFB3077 Infineon Controller and microcontroller

Ok thank you, I actually measured a voltage of 4.4V but the Arduino still worked fine on it. I'm just a bit worried about the maximum current I can draw on the throttle signal as I will need about 3A.

Hi Guys,
I am working on an e-bike project which uses a 70V battery, a 12fet Infineon controller as well as a MAC motor. I sent throttle commands directly to the ESC through the Cycle Analyst throttle override pinUse using the arduino analog PWM output but the motor was responding with rapid impulses and not a continuous rotation. I am assuming this is due to the fact that the throttle input is continuous whereas the arduino analog output is a PWM. What could I do to solve this problem?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Hey Guys,
I just bought this speedometer: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152025948123?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.
As you can see it comes with three wires, a blue, a black and a brown one. I've been trying to conenct it to my bike and arduino but haven't found any documentation. If anyone could help me figure out what input voltage it needs, which pins are what and what output signal level (mV or V) I should expect, it would be super helpful!
Thank you for your help!

A related question...has anybody programmed their Infineon 12 FET IRFB3077 FETs to more than the 40A/112A that EM3ev sends them out with...and had their controller survive without any issues :lol: ?

I would like to go to 50A battery and 140A phase, a 25% increase, but I don't have enough experience to know whether this is a good idea or a bad idea.

Running the controller with a 12T MAC, 750 mm OD wheel, and a 14s6p battery with 25r cells.

Thanks for any info :D .

Yup. I run a 9 FET Infineon at up to 50 amps - with IRFB4110's which heat up much more quickly than IRFB3077's (RDSon is significantly lower in the ladder)

Keep an eye on the controller temperature for the first few runs (touch test should be sufficient), but you should have no issue bumping the amperage up to 50-60.

Thanks...if the 9 FET can handle 50A, I should be OK.

What phase current setting are you running?

Keep in mind that in these cheap common controller designs (whcih go all the way up to Sabvoton, Kelly, MQCON, and beyond), the powerstage doesn't do current sharing very well between FETs. So the higher you go, the more likely there is to be a difference between one fet and the next in the same phase, great enough to bring that FET past it's abilty to handle it, and POW, then all the current flows thru the other FET(s) in that leg of the phase, and POW (POW POW) etc.

:(

So pushing things harder than the max a trusted vendor recommends is probably bad for reliability.

(pushing things even that hard may affect reliability--any form of "hotrodding" almost always decreases reliability, though you can get lucky for a long time...right up until you don't. ;) ).

amberwolf said:
Keep in mind that in these cheap common controller designs (whcih go all the way up to Sabvoton, Kelly, MQCON, and beyond), the powerstage doesn't do current sharing very well between FETs. So the higher you go, the more likely there is to be a difference between one fet and the next in the same phase, great enough to bring that FET past it's abilty to handle it, and POW, then all the current flows thru the other FET(s) in that leg of the phase, and POW (POW POW) etc.

:(

So pushing things harder than the max a trusted vendor recommends is probably bad for reliability.

(pushing things even that hard may affect reliability--any form of "hotrodding" almost always decreases reliability, though you can get lucky for a long time...right up until you don't. ;) ).

Excellent advice Amberwolf...and I agree. I did order a new 12 FET Infineon IRFB3077 controller so if I have any problems I can revert back to the recommended settings, install the new controller, and keep riding. My lack of experience with electronics makes me want to push the limits until I exceed them so I know exactly where they are and what component is the weak link...from what I know at this point it is probably the FETs. Like Clint Eastwood said..."A man has got to know his limitations" and what better way to define the limits in this case than to sneak up on them until they are exceeded :D . I have a LOT of experience with mechanical components and how/why they fail but electronics are a different animal.

I'll probably start out with a 10% increase in battery/phase amperage, then 17.5%, then 25%...or something like that. There are sooo many variables that contribute...i.e. the type of motor, the battery capacity and power capability, the bike/rider weight, how you use the throttle, the incline, the gearing/wheel diameter, etc. I have run my 12T MAC as hard as possible with a 29x2.5" Maxxis Hookworm and I weigh about 210 lbs ready to ride and no problems after three years with the EM3ev settings of 40A/112A. IMO EM3ev gives relatively conservative recommendations..not a bad thing by any means because it ensures reliability :wink: .

Back