$14.99 72v Sunwin Controller

Just switched my 60v500w Sunwin controller (with shunt mod) for a new Sunwin 60v 1500w controller (also with shunt mod) and got a little disappointed: the throttle lag is terrible.
It takes a few seconds before the full power is available after I completely turn open throttle, like a smooth fade in.
My old 500w sunwin controller didn't have this much lag at all.

After a little measuring and comparing on both controllers I think I found the component responsible for the lag.

It's a capacitor on the spot marked :E10
This capacitor is not seen on my old 500w board and also not seen in most of the early pictures in this Topic.
Throttle signal 0-4.2V goes through resistor R54 through the capacitor E10 +side to the microchip.
- side of the capacitor connects to ground.

So what I think the capacitor does is charge if you open the throttle.
Because the capacitor is charging the throttle signal towards the chip can't change from 0v to 4.2v in no time, it takes about 2 seconds before it is charged to 4,2 volts

EDIT:
The capacitor on E10 is indeed for smoothing out throttle, but it only slows down the throttle voltage climbing a tiny bit, I did notice the difference but it was not the result I hoped for.

However after I replaced the 2 big 80v 470uF capacitors near the fets for 2 new 100V 470uF caps throttle response is much better! The 2 biggest caps in the controller are already rated 100v so I leave them standaard.

I use a 20s lipo charged to 80 Volts, so I thought 80v caps would work fine, but it turns out my 80v caps don't charge to 80v, the 100v rated capacitors I used does charge to 80v.
Now my throttle response is a lot better.

Some boards I've seen have two capacitor locations labelled E10. Maybe they used the wrong one when wiring your controller? No idea what it's for though. I'll have a look at mine tomorrow.

Thats Interesting. Sorry I haven't opened up my collection of six yet - too many projects concurrent. Hoep to soon!

Still waiting on my 84V 1000W controller from ebay seller hksunwin
I bought it on March 26, so its been 6 weeks now. Whats the time frame for delivery, 2 months?

markz said:
Still waiting on my 84V 1000W controller from ebay seller hksunwin
I bought it on March 26, so its been 6 weeks now. Whats the time frame for delivery, 2 months?

Mine took around 2 months. It has been sitting on my desk for a couple weeks now. I will open it up soon and try it out.

Took 5 weeks to get my second Sunwin controller.
Its a 84V 1000W for $26 + $10 S/H in American Dog Hairs :shock:

Label - Judging by the label and when I bought my unit on eBay. I think Sunwin makes/prints sticker/buys/upgrades the controllers as they are sold on his ebay site. I bought mine on March 26 notice the label.
View attachment 8

Here is what the packaging looks like.
View attachment 10
With a couple wraps of bubble wrap. Top right mounting flange is bent slightly.
View attachment 9
View attachment 3

Here is what the wiring looks like. Only one unkown wire, green wire with female bullet connector.
Wiring.jpg
THIS IS THE OTHER 60V 800W controller wiring

Here is what the insides look like. 100v Caps and 15 FETS.
FETS.jpg
Backside 84V 1000W.jpg
Frontside 84V 1000W.jpg

I notice on the spread sheet the MCU markings are missing from my first Sunwin purchase of a 60V 800W controller. I will get it out and try to 100% confirm the markings. I needed to add a small bar flashlight with 8 LED's placed at just the right angle to pick up the lettering. It is the same as all the rest, atleast on this 84V 1000W unit.

84V chip 1.jpg
84V chip 2.jpg

I thought yours was going to have 18 Mosfets with it being 84v so that's a surprise. My new one has arrived so I'll get the specs of that sorted. Looks like you need to purchase 1500w minimum to get 18fets unless you go for the switchable version like my first one.

Suggs said:
I thought yours was going to have 18 Mosfets with it being 84v so that's a surprise. My new one has arrived so I'll get the specs of that sorted. Looks like you need to purchase 1500w minimum to get 18fets unless you go for the switchable version like my first one.
So, it's been a while since the first post.
I have read all about what you all got but haven't read abut how they work or are still working.
Has anyone managed to reprogram them? How about what is the extra speed you've talk about. Is it just a 3 speed switch like others or is it a +++ speed.
They are really cheap and very tempting. Are they better than The Infinions that are programmable?

Dan

Would the blue Loctite thread locker work better on the bolts holding the MOSFET bar to the case. Then the hot glue it comes with?

Is the CPU thermal grease/ thermal compound good to have between the MOSFET bar to the case?

For the SHUNT modification, wouldnt soldering more conductive mass on the back of the board be an easier job, then wrapping wire around the shunts themselves. I was thinking soldering a copper rod, or perhaps better is some household copper wiring (solid core).
shunt.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From my 60V 800W

60V800W MCU.jpg

Where do I connect the two small guage Phase wires (red & black) to?

2 white "Self Study" wires - Connected together does what?

3 Anti Theft wires - left open (unhooked) is it locked?

What are the Brake Hi and Brake Low wires for?

I have the same question about the small red and black phase wires.

Also, for the speed plug, do I just ground the yellow or the blue wire to the black wire to select the speed? (If so, ill set me up a toggle switch.)

Thanks all
MantisX

MantisX said:
Also, for the speed plug, do I just ground the yellow or the blue wire to the black wire to select the speed? (If so, ill set me up a toggle switch.)

Just throwing this in here, yes , but on mine I get the slow speed but not the fast speed. (Doesn't matter to me because top speed is good)

Only a guess for the red and black wires in question, they seem to be pack voltage. I have other controllers with the same setup

Oh finally, I thought I was the only one with this awful throttle delay.
I'm using 72V 1500W version and it has that terrible delay and "smooth fade in" as user: denbesenjoel describes it.
As I can see user: Icewrench is in same trubble.

I'we tried to contact hksunwin from ebay but no luck. They are not good at understanding english.
I tried really hard, but in the end they just told me to contact local bike shop :roll:

I have programmer for some other controller and hoped re-programing it will solve the problem, but first I'll try replacing capacitors ad denbesenjoel described it.
I understand why R54 and E10 slow thigs down, low pass filter blah blah... but what do these big 470uF capacitors have to do with anything. They look like energy storages, not signal filters :?:

Also as I installed ammeter and noticed that regen works in weird kind of fasshion.
Current jumps to minus 15ish amps but only for a realy short period of time.
As i continue to brake, the cureent stays at zero.
It's like that no matter what speed i go :?

P.S. denbesenjoel, have you removed lag completely or is it still there a bit and did you remove a regen delay also??

EDIT:

So I opened my controller and allredy changed one big capacitor when I noticed they were alredy 100V. But as I bought new caps I changed them both.
Power on my bike aaaand... no change :/
Next I was ready to remove E10, but none of them was there :?

So last resort would be reprogramming it, has anybody done it?

Yeah I know, I already soldered wires to te programing pads on the board and guieded them out of controller.
But I'm kind a scared because it is my only controller, and will have to wait 4 weeks if I burn this up.

i just got a 48v 1500w 18 fet version of this.
fets are p75nf75
63v caps
mcu gpm8f3116a

Back