• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

16-18S BMS options? Where to buy?

ToMiCcc

1 mW
Guys i need some advice on this one. All parts needed for my new battery pack are ordered , cells (Panasonic NCR18650PF) will be picked up next week.. The only thing left to get is BMS or something that can manage my balancing as i dont need low voltage cut...Going for 18S7P or at least 16S8P setup for a bit less top speed but much more cycle life and range.
It would be nice bonus if bms could be ordered adjusted to balance at lets say 4.15v...
Everyone brag about how good is bestechpower and when i contact them they keep offering me minimum order quantity of 2 and expensive DHL shipping, paying 150+ $$$ for balancing is to much for me...
So im now looking on other places for 18S BMS (Other than ebay and aliexpress cause i dont trust those sheapo fake units)
Is there any other legit seller or web site that can sell 18S li ion bms?
Oh and regarding to BMS current i think im fine with anything around 50A (controler is 35-40A) , i need this for my daily commuter bike
In worst case scenario i can get 16S 45A BMS from batterysupports.com for realistic money...
Thanks for any help!

Done. But that will hardly help... In my country anything related to electric vehicles is very poorly developed... And shipping from some neighbours country near me is more expensive then shipping from china :cry:

Try to join Croatian forum: http://e-vozila.com/forum/index.php
I have seen some members from Serbia there and I'm quite sure that you can get some help there about your need...
Depends on your need about BMS, you can find several members there, who can sell you the BMS, or at least who can help you...

I am already member of that forum and geting help is no problem on that forum.. Problem is getting all that e bike stuff that i need... Shipping from croatia to serbia is something like 20-25 euros... And shipping from china to serbia is close to free...Which is funny cause croatia is like next door to me.. 50km to the boorder...

Bestechpower are pretty good - lots of options:
http://www.bestechpower.com/pcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypacks/

Unfortunately, there are few places to buy >12S BMS (low-priced anyway, there are expensive industrial/OEM units). I had to resort to Aliexpress...

Punx0r said:
Unfortunately, there are few places to buy >12S BMS (low-priced anyway, there are expensive industrial/OEM units). I had to resort to Aliexpress...
Well i dont beleve those cheapo bms units from Aliexpress and ebay... I think i found soulutions.. There is a web site dedicated to bms , similar as besttech.. They also offer BMS units with bluetooth module or USB module for programing..
Found them acidently on alibaba.. Cant wait to get answer from them

ToMiCcc said:
jonescg said:
Bestechpower are pretty good - lots of options:
http://www.bestechpower.com/pcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypacks/
Read the entire first post
Haha. Whoops. Well they do have lots of options and a spare BMS for troubleshooting is a good thing. I think their prices are fairly reasonable actually. How much do you want to spend? Otherwise you might have very limited options.

Price really is the limiting factor here. 13s and under is common, as 24/36/48v systems are everywhere. The moment you step over 48v the legal framework changes so not a lot exists in this sector. Certainly not priced as the mass market stuff, while being made differently.

A European chap is selling some fancy units for about 200 euro's in the adds section. All that bluetooth stuff. Alternately stack a couple of 13s smart units for your handy like that. Be $100 when your done. Much time later. Or just buy the bestec and sell one on.

ES member circuit has made and sell a BMS. Max 16s. From memory I think you can run that BMS up to 700 amp.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=78552&hilit=+bms

Im in process of contacting few of chinese companies similar to besttechpower .
They ofer MOQ (minimum order quantity) of 1 and they are also willing to do customized BMS units for me... So i think im gonna look up what are my options.. There is an store on alibaba web site that can make custom BMS with USB or bluetooth module , they also have something that they call "intelligent equilibrium balancing" , it balances the cells if -> Condition 1: voltage≥4V -> Condition 2: dropout voltage≥20mV -> Condition 3: no high temperature
.. Thats very interesting to me since im planing to do daily charging to 4.1v per cell and it would be nice if balancing could be done at that voltage.. I hate to see peoples on this forum having to balance their batteries at 4.2v and durring that process some of the cells go as high as 4.23 or 4.24v.. I dont care if at the end of the charging your all cells are spot on 4.2v i just cant even imagine to go over 4.2v at any time...
With USB module you can program some basic settings and with bluetooth module you can only monitor cell voltages , state of charge , number of cycles , capacity left and so on...
Cant wait to see what will chinese guy answer , this seems very promising for now...

I have finished negotiating with chinese company and finaly got BMS in my hands today after 2 months of chit-chat crap negotiations and slow air mail delivery .. Well im not an expert but at first look this thing definitely looks well built and professionally made... PCB is thin coated and looks nice and shiny , whole thing is damn heavy conparing to my current 13S 35A BMS which wheys next to nothing... This thing wheys 240 grams !!
Got it with bluetooth module , USB module is also a option but i didnt want it cause i dont actualy need to program anything. Bluetooth module was perfect for me cause i dont have any batt charge indicator on my bike and with module and their android APP i should be able to see all possible cell voltages , pcb temp , cell temp , charge current , discharge current and even charge cycles and who knows what else cause i still didnt test anything...
Cant wait to instal it and try it out , the thing im most curious about is equilibrium balancing ...
It should work if below conditions are present
Condition 1: voltage≥4V
Condition 2: dropout voltage≥20mV
Condition 3: no high temperature
I needed something like this since i wanted to charge my batt up to 4.05-4.10 per cell and also wanted to hook up my lights on 3 rows of cells so i get 10-12v out without having to pay extra for DC-DC converter
Here are some pics for you guys (dont know how to put them visible on the forum using light shoot so im just gonna post links)
http://prntscr.com/c6nsn6
http://prntscr.com/c6nt7z
http://prntscr.com/c6ntrv

Take care about balancing current first.
Check these 16 resistors close to balance connector, which value is written on them?

Usually such BMSes have low balance current (~60mA) and thus it is not advisable to use couple cells for light...
In addition, it is advisable to check standby current consumption, is it less than ~20uA and equal on all cells?
If standby current is more than ~100uA, you'll have to disconnect the BMS from battery in winter, when not using bike...

BTW, if you want to order something from Croatia, ask supplier to send the packet to PR (poste restante) to closest Croatian post to your place. I was buying such way from Slovenia over ten years ago, using post office in Ilirska Bistrica. As I was taking packet in Slovenia, I was not paying even customs fees at the border. 8)

Final advice: when you set up the BMS, it is highly recommended to measure the results (balance threshold, HVC and LVC levels)...

Datasheet says
Normal current consumption: ≤1000 uA
Sleep model: ≤100 uA
Hibernate model: ≤1 uA
I think this wont be a problem cause im using my bike whole year , pretty much every day.
Battery is planed to be 16S11P or 16S12P depends on my space in frame. Will use NCR18650PF (so called older tesla cells) and it will be total of around 25-27AH or about 1.5kwh of usable energy. My led strips draw about 500ma (white) and about 1.5a (red) and i will not use them all the time since i already have regular lights on my bike... I had an idea to use one group of 3S12P for one light and another group for the other light to split the load as much as possible
So calculations are this , if i use those led strips for one hour at a same time i will need about 15 hours to balance whole pack which to me doesnt look so bad considering that balancing is happening pretty much all the time when cells go above 4v .
I might try it just like that and monitor the cells via bluetooth app.. If things start to drift to much i can just turn the lights off , order a proper DC-DC and set it up as it should be done.

I think it is 80ma but i will check with the manufacturer. Should be perfectly fine since the battery pack is brand new and balancing starts already at 4v.

I finaly got it asembled and working at the moment in my new battery pack.. Doing some basic test and then i will wrap it up and put in my bike.. For now everything looks good.
Im waiting for pack to get fully charged so i can see if it will balance that first group of cells that i purposely charged a bit more.. Just to throw it out of balance
Latter im gonna try to read markings on the IC's...
Here are some pics from my android app
image hosting adult
images hosting
upload jpg
image hosting over 10mb

Nothing for now ... Battery pack is still on my bench.. All cells are balanced.. Not perfectly but in 30mv range as chinese manufacturer promised. As i plan to charge to 4.1v per cell that means at worst case scenario lowest cell would be 4.08v and highest would be 4.11v , thats good enough for me
Bluetooth app works good unless you dont do anything with the pack for some time.. Then whole BMS goes to sleep mode or hibernate mode.. And then you cant connect via bluetooth.. You have to start charging/discharging or unplug and plug bluetooth module and then you can connect again.
Oh and btw i cant read the markings on the IC's ... The letters are to small to read , and whole PCB is spray coated with some kind of protection paint and it makes it even harder to ready.. I could do it if i had microscope or something like that :S

Back