184v 45s lipo short circuit!!! POST YOUR KFF HERE!!!

hydro-one

10 kW
Hi its hydro here! longtime lurker. been though all the trials and tribulations of building a high powered ebike , including a couple bouts of kentuky fried finger. been a while though. but this evening i topped it all when i plugged a 100v full charged pack INTO another 84v lipo pack. the 4mm bullet dissapeared and left a cool mark on my hands(edit this is after washing vigorously with cold water). see pics

Is there another connector that is a true polarity protected female for the battery side???? i dont want this to happen again. or to any of the other five bikes i have in service for people right now.

feel free to comment or post one of your experiances with flash burns!!

heres a pic of my hand and the bikes. ruined my ride!!!!!

IMG00254-20110905-1814.jpg

View attachment 7

IMG00256-20110905-1815.jpg

IMG00258-20110905-1816.jpg

IMG00259-20110905-1844.jpg

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

bike.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00255-20110905-1814.jpg
    IMG00255-20110905-1814.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 3,713
Sad story! :shock:

This is EXACTLY why i dont like the bullet connectors!..

If you would have had Anderson connectors, the only danger would have been the difference of voltage both pack and not the sum...

Doc

Good job, I like the thumbnail colour. Hope your hands heal quick.
Nice bikes, the santa cruz is probably lots of fun.
It looks like you must be using a backpack for batteries. I use bullet connectors also, but don't have good success with them staying connected in the battery pack harness, so I taped them up and I use a pair of colour coded anderson connectors to detach the battery backpack. I still have to strain relief that connection, and I would like to find something better.

yup those are my connectors!! sounds like an order to powerwerks and some ypedal videos are in my near future!! those bullets just plug into each other wayyyyyyy to good !!

otherwise i do like the htx 4mm and cheap

so with andersons i would have only fifteen volts wow that would have made a difference!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

this all started when buddy plugged his meanwell into his bike. blew one side so i came down to charge him up.......another connector blunder !!!damn

in backpack buddy santa cruz is 100v 25s 10ah lipo mine hardtail iz 20s backpack wild!!!!

That is some really nice KFF! Woot! Its going to be sooo sore in a few days.

I use those too. They work great except, twice I've brushed my forearm against the open ended battery side, and got a 103V shock. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Youch! It must really hurt. I was badly burned once, mostly on hands and feet. The docs told me I had fried two of the three places on your body with the most nerve endings. Perfect.

Hope you heal fast. Whatever connector you use in the future, I bet you don't do that twice. I fried a few things too, but never got burnt. But I really look twice at what I'm doing now.

I like to use bullets only on phase wires. On my power wires, charge plugs, etc, I use Deans T's, because that's what I got started with. Since I use high power, I use 1 each for positive and one for negative with my own standard convention of female on the battery pos and male on battery neg. When I use the T for pos and neg I'm consistent, so everything always works together.

I do have to make sure I don't pull a bonehead move and plug my battery mains to each other, but I've managed to not even come close. Only a couple of fingernails and multimeter probes have experienced plasma up close, so hopefully that lesson is hardwired.

One thing I like about using the Deans the way I do is when I have to open a controller I just discharge the caps and easily plug the controller pos and neg leads together.

The best suggestion I can make is to decide on a connector type, buy a bunch of them (3 or 4X as many as you think you might need in the next 5 years), and lay everything out consistently and stick with it.

Oh BTW, plasma flashes don't count as explosions in my book. A "184 lipo explosion" should be something that takes a hand or a foot off, or at least a finger, or rips through its container like a tin can destroying the bike. Glad you're ok, it could have been worse. We see the hands, but more importantly, how are your batteries. :lol:

I hate the stock 4mm HXT bullets, or bullets in general. They're just junk, and polarity protection is KEY for very high power setups.

Anderson makes a nice connector. The 45 or 75A PP's are great, and hard to screw up when assembled properly. You can reverse a harness or meter with PP's on it without changing polarity.

Once your hands are better - drop by and get a bunch of Andersons from me - I have a bag full of them = hope your hands are better soon.

Imho andersons suck balls for use on a bicycle, far to big and bulky, the times I have used them I had connection issues also, 5.5mm bullets are the best for e-bicycles, small form factor of the bullets, makes it easy to assemble a neat small size battery pack without big chunky blocky anderson connectors sticking out everywhere (see any of ypedals packs for examples) never had issue with bullets, I have NEVER even used the plastic housings opting for double walled heat shrink over the bullets after soldering them to the wires, then I also dont need to reconfigure my pack to charge it either :p

KiM

thanks for the well wishes, im healing superfast from all your energy!!! i will post update pics on whats happening with my medical treatment etc tomorrow. some really great ideas, i kind stayed away from andersons because i consider myself "high power" ,i really like the EC5 looks really good....... i have a bunch of the 6mm bullits from HK with the good contact tang type . but i was kinda stuck on "one plug" and go for our backpack lipo systems. i like the offset cables idea and if im gonna do two plugs, may as well do three and have a precharge mini-bullit or whatnot.

thanks for the offer dave! i know you must have seen me doing some ridge ripping in your backyard. turns out the southwood golf course is my new playground!!!!! you can get in behind the hospitol or off uni crecent .

so many options!! i defeinitly like the bullits for phase wires and interconnecting hk packs together.

CHECK TWICE WHAT U ARE DOING AT EVERY STEP. mabye depending on how much power you have sitting beside you!!!

haha john thats funny u should ask about the battery the battery seemed to survive without much sweat. how many amps would i be looking at here? wires were 12g about 2m long. 184v . 45s!!! holy frig 45s, you would def want a precharge circuit. put that on the list john!!! did you ever mount your mid drive hub motor.......

dogman said:
Youch! It must really hurt. I was badly burned once, mostly on hands and feet. The docs told me I had fried two of the three places on your body with the most nerve endings. Perfect. ....

dude, just be glad that you didnt burn the 3rd place!! then you'd REALLY be sore!!!

Back