1st ebike build - critique my Crystalyte hub motor build plans (ebikes.ca/em3ev/luna?)

Intro

Hey all. This will be my first ebike build. I already have a 26” hardtail mountain bike w/ disc brakes to convert. I am an experienced cyclist, and this will be to extend my range and speed to replace car trips (go farther in less time, carry more weight for errands, and can stay cooler when it’s hot out). It will also be fun, but I’m not looking to go crazy on the build in regards to speed and cost. This is for a hot region of the USA that is flat.

Goals

• Top speed of mid-20s to 30 mph. Will usually cruise at 20-25mph while pedaling a moderate amount (I still like getting exercise)
  • 20+ mile range @ 25mph - Will be pedaling most of the time along with the motor.
  • Relatively quiet operation
  • Operate via throttle. Bonus if I have the potential to add pedal assist if wanted later.
  • Keep costs reasonable without sacrificing quality/safety/reliability
Plan
  • Ebikes.ca kit parts
  • M3540R26 Crystalyte rear hub motor laced in a 26” wheel
  • 25A controller
  • V3 Cycle Analyst
  • Torque arms
  • Statorade
  • Ebrake levers for cutout and regen
  • Em3ev battery parts - Preditor 47V frame battery 11.4Ah (13S4P) with Panasonic PF - this was the cheaper option and supports 23A continuous/30A burst. I’m open to suggestions.
  • Mount inside the triangle
Questions
  • This the best kit for the purpose? I see people post about many others. Not looking for a mid-drive. The ebikes.ca wheel is out of stock until the end of April. I’ve also seen people getting MXUS/Leaf kits - should I consider these?
  • Other battery options? Luna? Their Wolf pack is expensive, their Shark packs are limited stock and more expensive than em3ev
  • Did I miss anything?
Thanks! :D :D :D

I think you are considering more motor than you need. Any large geared motor, from the popular MAC to the low cost Bafang BPM, will meet the performance criteria you have listed.
You are already thinking about Em3ev, why not get everything from them?
And plan on PAS from the start, as you will want it later.
And how about filling out your profile, so we know where the "hot region of the USA that is flat" is.
Death Valley or Salt Flats?

motomech said:
I think you are considering more motor than you need. Any large geared motor, from the popular MAC to the low cost Bafang BPM, will meet the performance criteria you have listed.
You are already thinking about Em3ev, why not get everything from them?
And plan on PAS from the start, as you will want it later.
And how about filling out your profile, so we know where the "hot region of the USA that is flat" is.
Death Valley or Salt Flats?

Great points, thanks! I started with Grin, and that's why I've been looking at their kit. They just didn't seem to have the best battery selection, and that's how I landed upon Em3ev for the battery.

Location is in Texas.

I was thinking that a learge geared motor might not be the best for ~1,000W. I'll reconsider.

Another option is a DD motor like the YESCOM (or acceries on ebay) 48V, 1000w system. Mine easily goes 30+ mph (flat terrain, 180 pound rider, no wind). DD motors shed heat well since there's a lot of "open space" in the motor, but fins or Statorade are also an option. Look up wesnewell's posts and one in the review section where individuals are achieving 15,000+ miles with them.

Back