2.3kwh of lipo -- how to make SURE it doesn't explode!

mechanix

100 W
I bought 40 of the 20c zippy 3000ah 5s batteries and to be honest, I'm kind of scared of them...

P8091230.jpg

I have a charger from bmsbattery.com set to a charging voltage of 82V to do my bulk charging:

http://www.bmsbattery.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_17&products_id=28

A 24s charger from hobbycity to do the balancing:

turnigy24scharger.jpg

8 lvc alarms from hobbycity (2 for each 5s cell group in case one is defective):

batt-monitor-5S.jpg

My question is, what more can I do to be sure that my bike doesn't go up in a ball of flames? My goal is to have 2-3x redundancy so there is almost no chance of an overcharge/ overdischarge.

Monitoring the amount of capacity used on each ride would help you avoid the overdischarge that leads to trouble later. Then you can target your use to never use more than 80% of your capacity. So a CA would be good if you don't already have one. Or some other similar device. Even a simple voltmeter on the bike will help you know when you are getting close to having the beepers go off.

Hopefully the charger works well enough to avoid the other side of the equation, overcharging.

Back