2 Police EVT bikes F/S Craigslist NJ

ijava

10 mW
Hi,
Found these ebikes for sale on Craigslist. (I am not interested in buying) Just passing the info along to other ES members.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/bik/3174322558.html

I Googled the bikes:
http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=682

500 for two complete bikes! WoW that is a deal. OK it does not have a charger, would give me a chance to work him down to 300 or something and I would run lipos un them anyway.

I see why the cops didn't like em. They are used to pedaling a lot higher quality bikes.

Nice!

Looks like it comes with wig-wags.. could be lots of fun :twisted:

Heh, riding stolen police bikes is asking for trouble. I wonder what the legalities of selling them on to the public is. I assume they'd strip the lights and siren off them.
But a pretty good deal for $250 ea, I'd snap em up if they were local. Ditch the existing battery and fill it full of lipo. The motor looks sizable enough and surely the po po couldn't get you for riding one of their own ex-bikes :wink:

You found my stolen ebike. Yea it's mine. Where's the lights. Son where did you get that bike. Have a seat we will work this out.
Maybe ship it to OZ to cool out.

Oh good,somebody posted this CL listing here. It looked tempting to me too ( I am in central NJ ). After doing a google search I found a link to ES discussion,some members bought them. The bike requires a security code to operate. Chargers always are missing so that your not supposed to be able to find out how bad the problems are ( most buyers ). I think these are old high mileage HEAVY klunkers but if they had a VIN # and I could get one cheap enough, it could be another hole to sink a lot of money into !

They are interesting. I think they are ugly, however.

I like the way a bike looks. Functionality is important too.

I look forward to seeing the most bike-looking ebikes AND the most decked-out obvious stuff too (like the Stealth Bomber).

Really, if you can keep the batteries in the frame (which has been done by many) to the point that nobody notices, then the only challenge becomes the hub motor (if direct drive).

I remember the gadget someone put into the seatpost (down tube? I forget the name) that directly works with the front sprockets. It wasn't powerful, but in time perhaps someone can make a really strong and fast motor in there with batteries in the frame. It would be a completely invisible system.

@Mike - Gruber Assist seat tube drive. Pretty cool thing for a very "normal" biking experience.

Cop bikes would be great for long range eBiking IMO. Serious dropouts and interesting rear section/suspension. Just imagine filling that battery box and triangle full of Lipo? But definitely NOT a lightweight stair/apt building bike.

Stolen? Could be or just government liquidation at work...

Good point, ykick, about the long-range capability. If you filled the triangle and the case with lithium, as you said, it would go far. Add something to that rear rack as well and you could probably go all day for a couple hundred miles, plug in at a motel, and continue the next day. I bet you could cross the country in two weeks on one if done right (depending on tires, flats, people throwing crap at you, etc. on the road).

But if I were going to try to cross the country I'd use a recumbent and load it up with batteries. It would be more comfortable.

Back