2020 Velo Orange Neutrino minivelo, Bafang BBS02 and CYC Photon, Shimano Alfine 8 IGH

Mongo

100 W
The current status of this build:
  • BBS02B motor
  • Lekkie 40 chain ring
  • Alfine 8 rear hub
  • 20" wheels, Velocity Cliffhanger rims
  • Schwalbe Super Moto X tires
  • 17AH tray battery
  • MKS Ezy Superior quick-release pedals
Click image for larger version  Name:    20201018_131354.jpg Views:    0 Size:    927.3 KB ID:    116257

I gave this bike to a relative, and it is rolling up the miles. I ended up building another one for use on Amtrak and riding the ~330 mile GAP Trail and C&O Canal trails, sometime in the future:
  • CYC Photon motor
  • Lekkie 40 chain ring
  • Alfine 8 rear hub
  • 20" wheels, Velocity Cliffhanger rims
  • Schwalbe Big Apple front, Pick-Up rear tires
  • 52-volt 17-25AH downtube mounted tray-style batteries
  • MKS Ezy Superior quick-release pedals
Click image for larger version  Name:    20230317_104158.jpg Views:    0 Size:    2.21 MB ID:    161027

The front rolling backpack's wheels and legs sit down in the front rack, secured via a bungee cord and two straps.

Last edited:
I ended up building another one for use on Amtrak and riding the ~330 mile GAP Trail and C&O Canal trails, sometime in the future:
I hope you keep us updated! Sounds like some great trails and awesome real life outdoor adventure.

Click image for larger version  Name:    20230317_104158.jpg Views:    0 Size:    2.21 MB ID:    161027

The front rolling backpack's wheels and legs sit down in the front rack, secured via a bungee cord and two straps.
With the weight of the rolling backpack on the front forks, how does it affect handling and steering?

I hope you keep us updated! Sounds like some great trails and awesome real life outdoor adventure.
Thanks much for the note - I hope to be able to Amtrak the bike from where I live on the East Coast to Pittsburgh, ride the bike to D.C. (using one of the route travel services and charging at B&Bs overnight), then Amtrak back.

Some clumsiness in the Amtrak schedule from D.C. to Pittsburgh may make me add another just-in-case day in Pittsburgh. The timeline is several years out from now, and the logistics may change.

This bike configuration is, for now, just a thought experiment, and may not be the best bike for such a trip - I've got this one (after adding panniers and fenders) as a potential backup. E-bike fiddling is my retirement hobby - one that's gotten a wee bit out of control.

Last edited:
With the weight of the rolling backpack on the front forks, how does it affect handling and steering?
It's not bad at all with a standard backpackload of clothes and the typical other mess. I've tried with a heavy ~50lb grocery load, which made it overly squirrelly and it's not what I'd want to ride long-distance, day after day - so there's a limit.

I'm getting used to the weight sway-induced riding with my cargo bike experiment.

I've since updated the bike with identical racks front & back so that the backpack can be secured in either position, along with a decaleur bag:

20240213_160133.jpg

I need the backpack, bag, and battery to be quickly removable so that the bike can drop to the Amtrak bike weight limit of 50lbs max. The battery will go in the backpack, my rolling carry-on. I doubled up on the rack struts, for extra strength.

Last edited:
Back