20s(0p) battery packs each with BMS. Advice?

Hi.
20x 20s (0p) packs each with its own 40amp BMS
The batteries are liitokala 26650.
All the packs will be connected to a copper bus bar.
My thinking behind this idea is that even if a single pack fails
It will be easy and simple to replace, also smaller and cheaper BMS and also I will be able to expand the size of the pack very easily.
I'm about to start building this battery for my motorcycle.
I'm looking for advice on possible drawbacks of this approach.
Space and cost isn't a problem.
Thanks in advance.
The photo is of a single pack how I plan to make them obviously.
Rafal

Attachments

• PXL_20220223_232443708~2.jpg
    PXL_20220223_232443708~2.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 470
Paralleling these packs at the main power pair, pack level voltage? How many at once?

Much better to do all your paralleling at the 1S cell level voltage, group level, before you start serial connections.

Hi.
Thanks.
Are you suggesting the classic 20s20p approach is better then?
That would defeat exactly all the benefits of my approach.
Failure of one cell would risk the failure of the whole pack,
Failure of the BMS would cause the failure of the whole pack,
I would have to use thicker connectors between individual cells and from the whole pack for the higher current.
I would not be able to expand the pack, I would not be able to service or replace individual smaller packs.
Why is it "much better to do all the paralleling at the 1s cell level voltage"?

Rafal

earthsounds said:
Why is it "much better to do all the paralleling at the 1s cell level voltage"?

Rafal

This is why. Example circuit shown.

Attachments

• 15v5Ad.jpg
    15v5Ad.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 424
  • 15v5Ac.jpg
    15v5Ac.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 424
  • 15v5Ab.jpg
    15v5Ab.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 424
  • 15v5Aa.jpg
    15v5Aa.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 424
  • Loss4.jpg
    Loss4.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 424
  • Loss1.jpg
    Loss1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 424
  • loss3.jpg
    loss3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 424
  • Loss2.jpg
    Loss2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 424
There is no way to ensure that current flow is distributed evenly

so overall lifespan is greatly reduced to ghat of the weakest link.

Two choices, either spotweld and treat the whole pack as one unit, to be replaced when cap testing shows 70-80% SoH

or use a no-weld assembly method, and periodically atomise back to cells and go through go/no-go binning, replacing the rejects with new.

DogDipstick
What is this resistance of, is it the resistance of a single cell or the resistance of the link between the cells or both.
Would using copper links reduce that resistance and loses?
Can you please share the resources or point me in the direction so I can educate myself a little more, please?
I'm getting frustrated with Google very quickly..

Thanks for you help guys.

Resistances will never be exactly the same

neither cells nor the intra-connection wiring

Even the slightest difference can result in wide current flow differences.

This impact can be somewhat reduced by interconnecting the balance wires so each cell-group 1S level is paralleled, not just at pack voltage

I take it the schematics are showing that internal series resistance is minimized when making a larger P-group? That certainly is a benefit when using higher IR cells. And as cells get older, IR does go up. If so, somehow I think there's no free lunch, You still have IR and you can't make the heat go away if total current is the same?. Conservation of energy or some higher principal must apply. well. if I'm wrong, so be it.

The overall average load per cell will be very similar.

The distribution pattern of the current load is what is different, all the parallelism at the 1S cell group level is much more even.

When the use case calls for sub packs paralleled at high power pair voltage connections, for example redundancy while cruising in arctic waters, then the maximum number of sub packs should be two, maybe three.

Thanks for the advice, I have to admit I'm quite disappointed,
I will have to change my approach and the whole design, I really don't like the large square and bulky packs, the smaller ones would be much easier to adapt into my initial design Idea, the motorbike I'm building is inspired on the 1930 British bikes, mainly Ariel Red Hunter and the battery and the controller was supposed to imitate the engine (loosely imitate).
And now I will have to get new, stronger and more expensive BMS's, thicker wiring, but if it has to be done, it has to be done.
I'm going to go for 5x 20s4p packs (or 4x 20s5p) or maybe even 3x 20s6p

Think more about assembling from cells,

Secondhand packs as a (suspect) source of cells maybe

not so useful as sub-packs, monolithic building blocks when space is limited.

Really brand new cells is the better way to go, but it is a good idea for buildouts that take years, to used cheap used cells for testing purposes and then buy the new ones after every other part is complete tested and working.

The batteries are always going to be consumables, DIY maybe half the lifespan of an OEM context.

If not its own BMS, you would need a harness that serves every packs cells, and yes this is called a " pigtail"....

Pigtail parallel charging is frowned upon int he hobby RC community just because of the truth in your statement ...
Really comes down to this: Certainly. People have done it, but yeah you are right there. Just for that reason. You cannot assure a balance with pigtail charging. On another thread, going over this with another ES poster: He mentioned this:

-Charging them with a single charger runs the hazard of over charging the lower capacity one

Having a BMS for every pack is a logistic nightmare, as is balance charging every pack individually.

SafeDiscDancing wrote: ↑
Mar 03 2022 11:17pm
So if you have two series strings which you then combine as parallel "afterwards" then the weakest cell will exist "somewhere" in one of those two series strings.

... the RATE at which the weakest cell either needs more energy or wants less of it will increase as the cell gets worse and worse.

Most ...

A friend of mine once layed it out for me on paper like this: Look at the diagram and you can see how the line resistance changes with each setu... Now, a healthy battery wont have problems, but a battery with IR resistance and connection resistance all over the place will suffer from wasted energy, short life, and detriment.

Now this example is exaggerated ( you dont lose amps per connection, but milliamps maybe, 1/1000 of an amp, in practice) for showing the point. Imagine: The numbers getting worse, here or there, over time, connection building resistance, not taking charge well, never filling and never balancing because of tiny variation int eh design of the current path. Causing detriment over time. Eventually you have a " heater" weak cell that takes and wastes heat on discharge and recharge, goes out of balance, and takes more energy to charge cause its collumbic efficiency is getting worse and worse... How this bad cell affects the pack, either type of battery, is shown below. This is just diagramming the line loss and you can imagine the difference if one number here or there goes fluke.

I personally think the top example is better, with the 5 (5s) packs in parallel each with a 1p, then paralleled), that the bottom pic, showing the typical way an nickel ebike pack is built ( with many p in groups). But this ( the way I like) is not the way many build the packs. It is generally accepted that it is better to have all the pack make up or many p for a single set in the total string. Have them all leveled and balancing themselves.. ie, parallel first, series second. The ideal behind this is larger application, larger cell, and you need less ( I use one cell for 25Ah, not (10) 2.5Ah cells) ( little cells are for flashlights in y opinion). The cells stay in balance in the set, you dont need a physical balance wire to service every cell ( and a bunch of wires that need protection, and physical design constraint). Like SDD said above, the weakest cell IS gonna exist somewhere...

Now this works great if you have a lot of money that you can replace packs, but, even the Chevy Volt HV battery parallels its two cells first then strings them along... I guess it is alot easier to do 96s2p, in one battery, rather than two 96s1p packs in parallel. Alot of modern EV are like this... and managed by very * fancy * BMS.... one 290v module.

Top would be like if you get five HobbyKing lipos and string them along in parallel.. Bottom is is you parallel 5p first then string the five parallel groups along for the 15v of the 5s ( easily battery murdere.. er... managing system installed) like most ebike packs. Losses are exaggerated.

Some of it is packaging convenience, some is electrical constraints. Whats more important to you. Design constraint is always a tradeoff. For your intended application.

Besides factors like cost, convenience, performance

this can also cause safety issues

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=48802821

I've always thought that it is much harder to balance many parallel cells in the pack than when there's no parallel cells at all and each of the cell can be balanced separately...
The cost and the effort were secondary issue for me.
Safety and durability were the primary one.
I'm only using brand new 5000mAh 26650 cells and I thought that making 20s0p each with their own BMS would be the safest, the most durable and the easiest to service option.
I was a bit concerned that I couldn't find any (at all) info or examples of this approach.
I will now readjust, get few new BMS's.
Thanks for all your help.

Yes paralleled cells need to be atomised for individual SoH cap testing.

But balancing works fine, no matter what a pack is always limited by the weakest link.

Ideally one 20S BMS monitors the whole pack.

You can connect multiple sub packs together at the cell/group balance leads for that, a safer/better way to accomplish what you want.

But the real solution is to get away from the small capacity cells

If you want a 40Ah pack, buy 22x 40Ah cells and only use serial connections.

You do not want multiple BMSs

Back