20x4 hub motor upgrade to 3000w kit info

MDG

100 W
Hi everyone, I have a Volcon Brat that I love but looking to mod it out to help with my commute.

I am looking to run the QS 205 motor but I need to stick with a 20x4 wheel. Plan to run a single gear freewheel like the stock setup as well.

Now, two questions! Has anyone ever used the NB Powers 3000W kit? Comes with a 20x4 rim and I can get the drop out size I need which is 190MM. It also comes with a 80A sabvaton controller which I’ve read mixed reviews on but for the most part everyone is loving their setup.

My next option is to order from QS directly a 205 motor and attempt to lace it back into my stock rim and run Votol em150 and 3 speed switch and their digital speedometer. This way im getting components I’m familiar with and not a QS knock off. I’ve attached some pics as well.

If anyone’s laced a 205 into a stock hub, where did you get spokes from and how do I determine what I need?

I’m tempted to try this companies kit: https://www.e-streetbikes.store/product-page/3000w-80a-e-street-motor-kit
Thanks! IMG_3858.jpegIMG_3857.jpegIMG_3772.jpeg

Update on this. I was going to order the NBPowers kit you see all over the internet but I don't have experience with NB and there isn't really any proof that they sell genuine QS motors and I don't want to run a Sabvoton controller.

So, I have on order a QS205 3T motor and Votol EM150 controller with QS directly. I will be using a Weinmann DHL100 20" rim. Using the specs from the rim and hub motor I was able to determine what spokes I need pretty quickly from ebikes.ca spoke calculator. It took all of 10 minutes to get the info from the rim and hub to determine what spoke lengths I need.

I am currently planning to run a 0 radial spoke pattern. Appears to be a lot of good info on this. I have not ordered the spokes yet as I am still trying to decide if I want to run the radial spoke pattern or or 1 by cross. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

I plan to use my CNC machine to make custom torque plates as well. My dropout size is 190mm and the motor is 175 but I can make or fill in the space with something easy.

I will be using a Votol EM150 controller and will have Amorge make a custom battery to fit the frame. Looking to only push 100A continuous through this kit.

I'll post up pics and info as I go for others to use!

How long of a wheelie bar are you going to put on the back ? Be careful that thinking easily take the handlebars to your teeth. What voltage are you going to use ?

So, I have on order a QS205 3T motor and Votol EM150 controller with QS directly. I will be using a Weinmann DHL100 20" rim. Using the specs from the rim and hub motor I was able to determine what spokes I need pretty quickly from ebikes.ca spoke calculator. It took all of 10 minutes to get the info from the rim and hub to determine what spoke lengths I need.

I am currently planning to run a 0 radial spoke pattern. Appears to be a lot of good info on this. I have not ordered the spokes yet as I am still trying to decide if I want to run the radial spoke pattern or or 1 by cross. Maybe someone can chime in on that.
To run anything but radial with that combo, without stressing the spokes at the nipple exit, you will probably have to drill the rim's nipple holes to "oval" them and use spherical-cup washers (like those on brake mounts/pads for adjusting angle) to allow the nipples and spokes to point directly at the spoke flange holes.

Otherwise it's likely that the nipples will point straight toward the axle while the spokes bend at the threads exiting the nipple holes, and that may cause excess stress at that point and snap them there, *or* may cause tension to cyclicly change on them and snap them at the elbow. (neither will be immediate, and may take many miles to happen, even hundreds, if the stress is low, but if the stress is high it could happen much more quickly).

If the nipples and spokes end up pointing straight without modification or washers, that's good...but unlikely with this combo of parts.

Radial lacing has worked fine for years for my wheels on SB Cruiser's MXUS 450x motors and eyeletted 20" "BMX" (ex-early-Zero MC) rims, using Sapim 13/14g singlebutted spokes from Grin. (also for years using slightly smaller Ultramotors in the same kind of rims).

Reactions: MDG
To run anything but radial with that combo, without stressing the spokes at the nipple exit, you will probably have to drill the rim's nipple holes to "oval" them and use spherical-cup washers (like those on brake mounts/pads for adjusting angle) to allow the nipples and spokes to point directly at the spoke flange holes.

Otherwise it's likely that the nipples will point straight toward the axle while the spokes bend at the threads exiting the nipple holes, and that may cause excess stress at that point and snap them there, *or* may cause tension to cyclicly change on them and snap them at the elbow. (neither will be immediate, and may take many miles to happen, even hundreds, if the stress is low, but if the stress is high it could happen much more quickly).

If the nipples and spokes end up pointing straight without modification or washers, that's good...but unlikely with this combo of parts.

Radial lacing has worked fine for years for my wheels on SB Cruiser's MXUS 450x motors and eyeletted 20" "BMX" (ex-early-Zero MC) rims, using Sapim 13/14g singlebutted spokes from Grin. (also for years using slightly smaller Ultramotors in the same kind of rims).
Ok, so I should possibly go 1X just to add some extra strength. Thanks

Ok, so I should possibly go 1X just to add some extra strength. Thanks
Well, nothing in my post says anything about that, just warning you about the problems you'll have with 1x (single-cross) vs radial with such a small space between the motor and rim.

Reactions: MDG
Well, nothing in my post says anything about that, just warning you about the problems you'll have with 1x (single-cross) vs radial with such a small space between the motor and rim.
I’m sorry, I misread your response it seems. I see now the 1X cross angle could potentially cause more stress to the spoke and possibly fatigue it which makes total sense.

The spoke itself in a radial approach would be quite short from hub to rim distance and should handle a decent amount of torque and consistent movement and use.

Thanks again, I think radial will be my approach.

Yes and they put the 50h and 40h in the same motor shell but he still didn't tell me if it's a 50 mm 40 mm ?

I reread it but I still haven't found out what size magnet maybe I skipped it

Yes the 2,000 watt qs motor has the same 150mm wide axle. I was trying to find a lighter 40 mm magnet motor with a 135 mm dropouts. I wanted a QS motor but the 50mm is to heavy and the 40mm has close to the same weight.

Back