$29.99 CREE XML XM-L T6 LED(Magic Shine 808)

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Yes, price has dropped by at least 50% since last year.

I bought a Magicshine 900 LM headlight (no battery, no charger) for $38.55 13 months ago from Geomangear. It was a good deal at the time. I just checked Geomangear website and it's out of business! http://www.geomangear.com/

On April 6, 2012 GeoManGear stopped sales and closed its virtual doors.

On July 6, 2012 we ceased all operations.

Despite our best efforts we are not able to continue in business.

We want to thank all of our loyal, devoted, and fanatical customers from the bottom of our hearts. You have all been great supporters of GeoManGear over the years and we are going to miss you.

Thanks from the GeoManGear Team!

I've recently bought one of these XM-L lights, and they are good for e-bikes, if not a bit too narrow. Since they all got stupid Hi->Low->Strobe->Off modes, I've modded mine with Texas Instruments microcontroller, and now it's much more useable:

[youtube]ckRegtkneiE[/youtube]

Thanks for the tip, just picked one up as a Christmas gift. If it doesn't come in time, I'll just use it for myself...:)

bobale said:
I've recently bought one of these XM-L lights, and they are good for e-bikes, if not a bit too narrow. Since they all got stupid Hi->Low->Strobe->Off modes, I've modded mine with Texas Instruments microcontroller, and now it's much more useable:

i don't see any different behaviour. can you tell us more what you did, and what the outcome was?
thanks!

Well, it's difficult to get that on camera as it automatically adjusts exposure. So, by default modes are Hi->Lo->Strobe->Off. So, you're in Lo and road has opened up, there is no traffic, and you want to switch it to Hi. That means clicking three times, and going through Strobe and Off mode, which can be dangerous because you're fiddlig with light while riding and you're in the dark for a split second while you switch it on again.

Now it works like this:
-Single click: alternates between High (100%) and Low (30%)
-Double click: stobe mode, single click and you're back to whichever mode you were in
-Hold: switch off the light.

Now, my second light is on its way, and I plan to connect both of them to a single microcontroller. Also, one of them will have Wide Angle lens. So, basically, I'll have "low beam" (only wide angle on 30%) and "high beam" (both lights on 100%). Also, remote switch will be added to this contraption.

Standard light beam:
Xeccon_XML_T6_1.jpg

With Wide Angle lens mounted:
Xeccon_XML_T6_2.jpg

How my setup shoud work (alternating between Low and Hi):
621e212c93ab7ef0ff21b48e73b16600.gif

Beamshots below are courtesy of ragnar.jensen from MTBR forum.

bobale said:
Now it works like this:
-Single click: alternates between High (100%) and Low (30%)
-Double click: stobe mode, single click and you're back to whichever mode you were in
-Hold: switch off the light.

Nice improvement. Looks like you also got the strobe mode to a nicer frequency. I always found the default one on my MagicShine to be really annoying so never used it, even though I prefer a good strobe to make others aware of me at night.

Also love the wide angle beam shape, now that we have good high power lights there is no reason not to spread it out wider.

Original strobe was both too fast and too bright. Originally, it alternated between 100% and 0%. Now it alternates between 40% and 1%, so there is always light coming out the front, and it's not seizure-causing anymore.

How could we run these bike lights of pack voltage of 24 to 48v ?

Do we need a DC-DC converter ? what is a good cheap one to suit this ?

Good find, just ordered one as well. Bobale, any pics of your conversion?

Gab said:
Do we need a DC-DC converter ? what is a good cheap one to suit this ?
Yes, DC-DC would do the job just fine. I've built myself one out of LM2576HV. Other parts were slavaged from broken ATX PSU, so they were free. I've made PCB myself, too. It has 60V max input voltage and 3A rating. Output voltage is adjustable from 1.2V to Vin-2V.

kfong said:
Good find, just ordered one as well. Bobale, any pics of your conversion?
Indeed, very good light for very little money. Beautiful build quality as well.

About conversion: there really isn't much to see, I've just replaced stock microcontroller with one programmed by me. If you're talking about Hi/Low mod with two light heads, that's not yet done.

bobale said:
Original strobe was both too fast and too bright. Originally, it alternated between 100% and 0%. Now it alternates between 40% and 1%, so there is always light coming out the front, and it's not seizure-causing anymore.

My light work like. Full, middle, low. Off (hold makes it strobe)

Cree xml t6

Just bought another one with battery and also wide angle lens branded magicshine. Thx bobale.

ok i will get a dc to dc converter that can handle 20w.. what output voltage should i adjust it to suit this led ?

8.4V would be ideal. But basically, anything betwin 6.5-8.5V would do the job.

It shoud be very bright, that's what it should be. And expect stock battery to suck big time.

i am figuring i will have to replace the battery and will if needed. i want very bright. here in the caribbean some of the pot holes are knee deep. i have ripped tires and broke a rim riding at night. i ussually only ride during day light hours however i sometimes have to stay at work late and have no choice but to ride after the sun sets. this model comes 1 x 8.4v 6400mAh Battery Pack. i figure the local hobbie shop will have 8.4v batteries i can pick up if needed

Atcspaul, what voltage battery pack you're running your ebike on?

i have a 48v 10ah battery on the bike. i have seen converters for 48v to 5v and 12v but not 8,4v. my electronics knowledge is really limited. still learning daily. be nice if i could run it off the bicycles battery

atcspaul said:
i have a 48v 10ah battery on the bike. i have seen converters for 48v to 5v and 12v but not 8,4v. my electronics knowledge is really limited. still learning daily. be nice if i could run it off the bicycles battery

This one might do :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-HRD-Converter-StepDown-Power-Regulator-Module12V-24V-36V-12-50V-9V-3A-/300695260115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4602d58bd3

It's 9V output, but I believe that these lights are fine at 9V. This unit lookslike it accepts anything up to 50V input, so if your battery voltage is really over 50V, rather than 48V, it may not be OK for you. There seems to be a dearth of DC DC converters with high input voltage ranges. For those using 72V plus then ordinary mains adapters will often work down to this sort of voltage, but for the majority of us with batteries around the 36 to 60V range there isn't much available.

thank you jeremy. gonna try the battery first that comes with it and if that doesn't work i am going to get a converter. i won't be using it very often but should be nice when i do need it

Well, the battery will certainly work, but it is no match for that triple XML current draw. You can buy adjustable DC-DC converter like this http://dx.com/p/low-ripple-90w-dc-4-5-60v-to-1-25-30v-adjustable-voltage-step-down-module-154647.

Back