43 mph unicycle...who's faster?

MadRhino said:
relatively light motors

OK so what lightweight high power hub motor do you suggest someone use to make a ludicrously fast (80 mph+) unicycle? Seriously though, because I'm thinking about how to do this with readily available ebike components that don't cost a fortune. That basically leaves the usual suspects of heavy hub motors for a direct drive.

A unicycle doesn’t need a heavy motor. It will never carry cargo, not even the weight of bike components. To do 80 on the street on flat ground, any 25 lbs motor with 40mm stator and 2t winding will do it powered 24s. A 3t would do it powered with 30s.

But, it will be hard to find someone to ride a mono at that speed. And, a mono can't be built with regular ebike components. It does require functions that are not implemented in ebike controllers.

flat tire said:
John in CR said:
A 273 motor isn't for going fast, they're for pushing heavier loads.

Yeah whatever I guess you live in a world where big rims don't exist. Actually if you're in CR that's probably true. Anyway how about a 29er, or better yet, 36er 273?

If 273's are so fast, then why hasn't anyone passed the top speed of my lowly 175x60 hubbie...other than Rovi who used a double wide and burned his 273 up in just a very few runs of less than 30 seconds each. Put whatever wheel size you want and calculate the rpm. Then find out the no load current of the 273 you want to run at that rpm and multiply it by the voltage required to get there. That's the heat created inside the motor just to spin that fast. You must not have known that I ran a 273 years before anyone else on the forum, and mine has been collecting dust since the day Fedex delivered my first high efficiency hubbie capable of any rpm I want, even well beyond 2500rpm.

The guy has a long mileage experience on monos. I wouldn’t let a newbie ride this power and speed on one wheel. No wonder why they named it ‘the veteran’. 77 lbs is damn heavy for a mono, probably the reason why he felt excellent stability and confidence. And, we can see in its responsiveness, that mono wheels software had improved a lot.

Back