4kW? Axum 29er Cyclone Build

eWolf

1 mW
Welcome! This is my second custom ebike build after my first broke. and I wish to document the progress as it comes along. Do expect this thread to be a little jumbled as things get worked on without any particular order.

Main Parts
-Schwinn Axum 29er size large
-LunaCycle 3K Cyclone kit
-Phaserunner + CycleAnalyst V3
-Battery: Will be building a custom 72v with ANT BMS, cell count & type to be determined...

My main motivation for this build is to create my own simple mode of transportation which has a low operational cost (including fueling/charging, maintenance, parking, insurance, etc.) and that can go anywhere, all the while being incredibly fun as a learning experience and as a toy. My criteria are:

-Small and easily stowable in a dorm, and able to be transported on a car bike rack
-Comfortable and practical
-Over-powered, I live in a hilly area and need as much power as I can get to make hills flat and to keep up with traffic when needed
-Fun!

I have already come a long way, though luckily have taken many photos to share my progress thus far.

***Note: I will continue to edit my posts with more information on what I've done and specifications when I have time.

Oct. 9, 2021

The bike has arrived!
IMG_20211009_142612[1].jpg

Assembled! Looking fantastic for $450!
2.JPG

Sorry, the full squish isn't getting converted ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
1.JPG

The conversion begins. I am transferring over everything from my last build (LunaCycle Cyclone kit, Grin Phaserunner + CA V3, homemade battery pack).
on stand.JPG
cyclone.JPG
ca v3 mounted.JPG
battery.JPG
The vitals are mounted! Except the cranks! At this stage, the stock BB spindle was too narrow. Luckily, later on I was able to use the wide BB spindle from my broken fat bike build by knocking the bearings into place to fit the, I believe 83mm, Schwinn Axum BB. By doing so, the cranks are now able to clear the Cyclone. This was not documented.
side shot all mounted.JPG

Oct. 12, 2021

New tires arrived! I went with a set of Maxxis Hookworms, 29x2.5". I was weary these would be too slick, but later on discovered they were perfect. The knobby tires will be stored for when winter comes around.
new tires.JPG
swapping tires.JPG
Looking slick! In addition, I installed my Shimano BR-M365 hydraulic brakes and my seatpost ammo box rack from my last build. Excellent weatherproof storage!
mounted on bike.JPG

Oct 14, 2021

First ride at the park! Hit max ~50mph going downhill.
first park ride.JPG
max speed.JPG
I am able to mount the bike on the rack without the battery, but once I build the battery box, I will need to use an extension bar (used on female bikes).
IMG_20211015_163925[1].jpg

Oct 20, 2021

Unfortunately, this happened. I forgot my battery on my father's truck the night before while in a hurry. The next day, it fell off on the road and was run over by every passing car. :cry: Luckily no fire! 52v pack just wasn't meant to be. 72v pack will be in the making soon 8)

Attachments

• IMG_20211020_081515[1].jpg
    IMG_20211020_081515[1].jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 718
  • IMG_20211020_082713[1].jpg
    IMG_20211020_082713[1].jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 718
  • IMG_20211020_082806[1].jpg
    IMG_20211020_082806[1].jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 718
  • IMG_20211020_083352[1].jpg
    IMG_20211020_083352[1].jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 718
Nov 9 to 11, 2021

New parts have come in!
-Sunlite 5" rise steel MTB/City bar + 25.4 to 31.8mm shims
-Hafny mirror
-locking comfort grips
-Wsdcam 113dB Bike Alarm
-12v motorcycle horn
-72v-12v 120W DC/DC converter

Although I am a mountain biker, I do not like riding flat bars on the road, as sitting hunched over for extended periods of time is tiring on the body. After looking at BMX bars, I decided upon these 5" cruiser-esque bars as they were much cheaper and had a decent amount of rise, but not too much. I would have preferred a crossbar for mounting accessories, but you can't have everything sometimes.
IMG_20211109_220515[1].jpg
IMG_20211111_191309[1].jpg
IMG_20211111_232153[1].jpg

Nov 12, 2021

Today my SKS 29" German fenders arrived :D For "universal" fenders, they installed with only a minimal amount of modification. To my surprise, the fork clamps are "optional", so I will have to make a run to the hardware store and buy some pipe clamps to mount the fender stays. Overall, I'm very happy. We'll see if they do their job soon!
IMG_20211112_082130[1].jpg
IMG_20211112_182135[1].jpg
I mounted the 12v motorcycle horn along with the fender on the fork. It is exceptionally loud!
I also did some debadging, no more Schwinn branding.
IMG_20211113_114310[1].jpg

Very Nice!

How much weight do you carry on the rack? How does it do in the turns and bumps?

Indeed a very nice build.
But I would suggest placing the battery pack in the triangle for much better weight distribution.

99t4 said:
Very Nice!

How much weight do you carry on the rack? How does it do in the turns and bumps?

SlowCo said:
Indeed a very nice build.
But I would suggest placing the battery pack in the triangle for much better weight distribution.

Thank you!

I don't carry much weight on the rack. I do not use it for batteries, as many people assume I do. I only use the ammo boxes for storing tools, bike locks, small groceries, and on occasion a lunch ;) I might upgrade to a sturdier rack since when I return to university, I will likely take the opportunity and do food deliveries as a side hustle.

I have only pedaled it around my neighborhood as a test, but it seems to handle quite well considering the big wheels and riser bars. The larger wheels do wonders for rolling over bumps. At some point, I will upgrade the fork as the stock one is "inexpensive" to say the least. Though for the road, it works well enough. It just flexes more than I'd like.

I plan on building a battery box for the frame triangle to house a gigantic custom 72v triangle pack. For now, I do not have a battery. The build is not done yet, there is much more to come!

So I have decided, once and for all, to grind my teeth and make a list of all that I have bought and put into this build so far.
At first glance, I winced at my current total.
ebike build cost 11-21-21.JPG
I still have a battery to build in addition to other odds and ends, so I estimated what the total cost of this build will be. But when I thought about it, all things considered, $2.200-2.300 is not bad at all for the performance and features I will have. I did a few quick searches for more affordable pre-built ebikes, and I came up with RadPower's RadRunner 6 Plus which is $2000 before tax. This sports a 48v 14Ah 672Wh battery with a 750W rated hub motor. My build will blow the RadRunner out of the water with a 72v 26Ah 1800Wh pack and peak 4kW of power. So therefore, I believe I will have spent my money well with this build. I am content.
ebike build cost estimate 11-21-21.JPG

Back