52v 6aH / Saddle bag battery for Q100H - Any changes for custom battery?

Lovelock

10 W
Hi, I've posted about this before but wanted to separate into new thread.

I've just ordered the bits for my new single speed Q100h build which is 260rpm 36v.

My last project was a Q128C 36v and a 48v 17.5aH battery. My commute is 6 miles each way, the large 17.5aH didn't even go down a usage bar there and back.

This time round, I'm going stealthy and will have the battery in a seat bag.

I've spoken to the UK battery builder (Jimmy at Insat) and he's agreed to build a 14s2p Samsung 30q cube which is a direct clone of the Luna Mighty Mini.

Before I go ahead and put the order in with him, is there any changes anyone would make to the battery? Are 30q cells required or is there maybe a more suited cell? Any specifics with laying out the battery to get its form factor down etc?

For reference I'm using a 20a controller but used to average <500w pulled when on my old project with it going to 900ish for occasional bursts. I'm light, short and will be pedalling too and there is only one slight hill incline.

Thanks! (I'm also speaking to a supplier from Alibaba about this exact battery to see how much they can do it for, may purchase both and compare)

Have you checked out NESE compression holders? I've used them for an E Skate build, but planning on doing a similar bike build to yours and going to use them.

https://18650.lt/index.php/product/n-e-s-e-module/

I was looking at getting Jimmy to make the exact same battery for me, using 30Qs or Sony VTC6s, but he was reluctant to do it because of the stress on each cell (I stated I wanted a max continuous amps of around 25A). He said that 30Q is rated at 15A max current discharge, however if you discharged at this rate for a sustained 11.7 minutes the cells would be at 81℃. The golden rule is to keep the pack at no more than 45℃ even under continuous discharge at a given current discharge rate.

Although he said he’d build one for me, it wouldn’t have a warranty, and his recommendation was to go for a 13S3P and use a Topeak Aerowedge Large saddlebag. I'd be interested in knowing if this agrees with your experience?

2p will be hard on cells

deep discharge even worse

no headroom

battery pack lifetime capacity performance always diminish

definitely consider 3p or 4p

RolPik said:
I was looking at getting Jimmy to make the exact same battery for me, using 30Qs or Sony VTC6s, but he was reluctant to do it because of the stress on each cell (I stated I wanted a max continuous amps of around 25A). He said that 30Q is rated at 15A max current discharge, however if you discharged at this rate for a sustained 11.7 minutes the cells would be at 81℃. The golden rule is to keep the pack at no more than 45℃ even under continuous discharge at a given current discharge rate.

Although he said he’d build one for me, it wouldn’t have a warranty, and his recommendation was to go for a 13S3P and use a Topeak Aerowedge Large saddlebag. I'd be interested in knowing if this agrees with your experience?

Hey, same with me as he shifted me away from the 30q. After a longer discussion he said the VTC6's would suit what I wanted and I ordered it up.

52v 6aH (ish, he reckons the Sony's a bit over 3000) and the battery is actually smaller then the Luna Mighty Mini. The thing is Tiny!

I'm waiting for my motor to get laced up, but will report back once I have had a chance to test it.

I've spoken to people using the Luna Mighty Mini with a BBSHD and have had no issues with it pulling 30a in bursts, my Q100h pulling a max of 20a should be no issues for this.

Back