• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

750 miles on a wildernes energy brushless 36 volt hub motor

rbelisle1

10 W
I bought a wilderness energy brusless, sensorless hub motor from ebay. its a daily communter on a manhattan flyer delux 6. 7.5 miles to work one way, 15 miles round trip. The original 12 amp batteries lasted about 500 miles worth. New batteries are 18ah. Re-enforced the bikes original rear rack and did some custom sewing for a new battery bag. Amped bikes torque arm with a steel custom fork bracket. 12v 20watt homebrew head light. The bike is really comfortable. Solid steel with wide handle bars. Upright riding position. Very heavy!!! 22mph top end with 185 pound rider. sometimes I peddle, sometimes I dont, sometimes I fake peddle... Normal ride to work in the car was 15 min with about a 10 min walk to the office. Bike is door step to door step in 30 minutes. Between gas and parking fees, the bike has more then paid for itself, even with the new batteries. And its still a lot of fun to ride, even after 6 months.

bob in phx..

The Clyte stuff gets all the attention, overvolting, shunt mods on controllers, etc. Meanwihle WE stuff stealthily gets guys where they are going unmodified, and reliably. I put 2000 miles on a brushed hub, and just switched to brushless. They do send out a pretty crooked rim though. :D They were a bit on the slow side, but the recent motors are faster, I assume they changed the winding. Sla's are still a good way to go if your ride is shorter.

update,

1000 miles and still going strong. I changed out the first set of 12ah batteries for new 18ah agms. Fast 22 mph and long running 15+ miles range. I keep two chargers, one at home and one at work. Overall, I could not be happier. Strong, smooth, steady with no problems to report.

I am at just about the same mileage on mine, from High Tech Bikes. 740 miles. I'm also real happy and running at only 36v I get sufficient speed, and no problems whatsoever.

Back