A Collection of Power Supplies and Charging Solutions

Some test data for the Mean Well RSP-1500-48

Battery: 15Ah of 12S HK 20C Turnigy LiPo (4S Hardcase Packs, 3S3P)

Starting Voltage: 46.13V
Ending Voltage: 48.17V
Max. Charge Current: 41.4 Amps
Max Charge Rate: 2.76 "C"
Max Charge Power: 1984.4 Watts
Charge Added: 5.01 Amp-Hours/242.1 Watt-Hours
Charge Time: 6:50 (6 minutes, 50 seconds)
Average Charge Rate: 35.43 Watt-Hours per minute.
Cable Temp: 12ga. Silicone Wire & 4mm Bullet Connectors had a maximum temperature reading of 117 degree Fahrenheit.

I like this charger. A Lot. 8)

20140926_030504_zps4362c7dd.jpg

This bunch can have my batteries ready to go in 1 hour (I usually have them sat between 3.8v and 3.88v after avaerage length rides). Those turnigy chargers are good for around 13amps on about 17v-18v into 6 cell packs.

All previously balanced and charged in 2p when in a rush.

Every single one of these chargers are awesome HOMEBASE/Balancing charge setups, but what if you want a quick boost or opportunity charge for the road? There is the satiator of course, but I use 2 24v Meanwell hlg is in series to charge 12s lipo with 10amps and I use them to power my hyperion for balance charging.. :wink:

I like the Mean Well HLG-320H series power supplies for opportunity charging. I still don't have one personally yet, but have seen them installed on a Zero motorcycle and the White Zombie (Fastest Electric Drag Race Car).

I am not hurting for charging solutions, though. The RSP-1500-48 has spoiled me. It is SO FREAKING FAST!!! :shock:

I have now "upgraded" my battery pack to 14S. The best news is that the MW RSP-1500 has no problem cranking the juice up to 58V. Another benefit is that the charging amps are also lowered with the higher voltage, so I am not stressing the 10Ah pack as much. (Only a 3C charge rate)

I charge for ~20 minutes in the morning before my 7 mile ride to work. Usually from ~50% charge to 4.1V/cell (95% charge)

Are you running 14S on the BBS02 ? I've found a few posts stating it's possible, but they all seem to be from before the BBS02 was released. I've taken apart my HK 4S hard packs and I am reconfiguring them into a single permanently mounted case, and I am trying to find out if a 14S2P is doable without harming the controller.

(This is after frying the balance plug on a pack due to having missed disconnecting a series connection. It's just too easy to make a mistake, especially with these HXT a plugs.)
-=dave

i think most of the 36v controllers will work with no problem up to 15S lipo full charge. it would help to increase the input power resistor to reduce the voltage input on the regulator.

Never counted them up but probably got dozens, or more, different chargers laying around ...
SLA
24V 1.5A (eZip oem) - several laying around
24V 4A SLA
24V 2A 3-stage SLA
36V 2A SLA
12V 2-4-8A BatteryMinder Charger-Desulfator (FLA-AGM-GEL settings)
12V 1A SLA charger

NiCd
24V 2A charger
6 bay D-C-AA charger
Many 4-bay AA chargers

Li-ion - LiPo (LiFe - some)
iMax B6 -maybe 3 (2 fully functional)
iMax B8 Blue
iMax B8 Black
25.9V 2A Tenergy - several
37V 2A Tenergy
MeanWell S-150-24 dedicated as 6s 22.2V 6A charger
MeanWell S-150-24 dedicated as 7s 25.9V 5A charger
Dual MeanWell S-150-24 dedicated as 7s 25.9V 10A charger
MeanWell S-150-48 dedicated as 9s 33.3V 4A charger
MeanWell S-150-5 modded as s 3.2-3.7-4.2V 30A+ charger
MeanWell S-150-12 dedicated as 3s 11.1-12V 12A charger or PS
MeanWell S-350-48
MeanWell S-350-24
MeanWell S-320-12
MeanWell S-320-5
MeanWell S-240-48
MeanWell Mods
Generic S-350-48 voltage adjustable 4V-54V!!! (No known current adjustment)
More probably

Non Specific
Dell DA-1 12V 12.5A power supply - several
Dell DA-2 12V 18A power supply - 6?
Mega-Modded MW S-150-12 &24 & 48V with fully adjustable and monitored V & A

LED specific
12V 2A plug adapter
12V 1.5A plug adapters
9V 2a Plug adapters
32V HP printer power supplies
31.5V printer power supplies
(Voltage trimmed with resistors or diodes as needed)

Many-many computer power supplies 200-1000w (computer shop)

Probably many more ... I can't remember right now

DA,

Want to make one of your megamod Mean Well's for me?

I can string together Dell 2850 Server PS's all day long, but need a convenient way to dial in the final voltage and dial back the Current, and your MM MW's are perfect for that.

Something like a S-150-7.5 with Max voltage and current adjust pots.

I imagine for 24S LiPo bulk charging, I could series together (8) Dell 2850's for 96V @ 57A, then add a MM MW for the last 4.8V, and have current adjust as high as 32A ???

The 240V/50A outlet in my garage is looking for some action. :mrgreen:

Sadly, the MeanWell S-150-s seem to fault when voltage is dragged down below 50% of it's rated voltage.

So, unless you only discharge your pack slightly, I don't see it working very well. ... ?

You can try!
I provided good documentation on all my MeanWell mods.

I haven't felt the need to run down the LVC circuits.
... Possibly a single zener diode?
Hmmm?
Might try looking on a S-150-24, got a few spares laying around, opened up already, they fault near 11V, all the S-150-s use same circuits?

Just have to find the zener that allows 12V both ways but 8.4V in one direction only, (test with 12V LED hooked to 1 probe?), then jumper across, to test-confirm.

(Not recommended unless you don't mind turning a good MeanWell into a parts unit.)

dnmun said:
i think most of the 36v controllers will work with no problem up to 15S lipo full charge. it would help to increase the input power resistor to reduce the voltage input on the regulator.
This article states they found caps inside rated to 63v: https://www.electricbike.com/bafang-bbso2-750w-mid-drive/
Knowing how cheap caps are, I'm having a tough time believing longevity problems wouldn't surface soon running even close to the rated max. Would love someone to prove me wrong. I'm finally rebuilding my battery this weekend (forecast calls for rain) and still wrestling with going with 14s or sticking with 13s as all the venders do. Are they sticking with 13s for a reason is my only concern :-/

-=dave

teslanv said:
I run my RSP-1500-48 mean well all the way up to 58V to charge my 14S LiPo pack. No blown caps yet.
I don't know anything about the components I the meanwell: I talking about the BBS02 controller. Close to max rated voltage typically doesn't blow a cap but degradesit quickly. In the context of the BBS02 it could cause the voltage spike on batt connect that it over voltages the downstream components. Of course catastrophic failure is always a possibility.

Guessing was looking for a longer term report from anyone running 14S on the bbs02.

Guess I may have to be the ginea pig :)

-=dave

Caps are only one of the voltage limiting factors.
Caps seem to fail more often as their rated voltage is neared - not like a fuse, just degrades faster at higher voltage.
Of course you probably won't appreciate the energy of a cap till one explodes on you!
Even a small one seems as loud as a gunshot ... I started wearing safety glasses! (aluminum shrapnel hurts!)

Most of the single voltage rated controllers I've tested, also have a HVC (High Voltage Cutoff).
I tested possibly half a dozen different 24V controllers and only the early Currie and one other supported 36V also! - (The cheapest! .?)

I did purchase 24V and 36V version of the "cheapest" controller, looking to isolate the LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) circuit. - (identical circuit boards)
I like to use 22.2V, 33.3V, 44.4V battery packs, but the LVC cutoffs are designed for 24V, 36V and 48V packs.
So the LVC cuts power prematurely, especially evident during cold weather.
Actually, the LVC seems to reduce amp throughput rather than cutting off power abruptly. (On multiple models)

Uploaded pdf

tungsten2k said:
dnmun said:
This article states they found caps inside rated to 63v: https://www.electricbike.com/bafang-bbso2-750w-mid-drive/
Knowing how cheap caps are, I'm having a tough time believing longevity problems wouldn't surface soon running even close to the rated max. Would love someone to prove me wrong. I'm finally rebuilding my battery this weekend (forecast calls for rain) and still wrestling with going with 14s or sticking with 13s as all the venders do. Are they sticking with 13s for a reason is my only concern :-/

-=dave

13S is the common size for most of the factory BMSs, not 14S. this allows them to claim the battery is 48V since 13Sx3.7V=48.1V even though we think of 48V nominal as 58.4V DC on the 16S lifepo4 packs.

ecross said:
found this PSU on ebay for about 69,00 USD and it is arrived. Could you please give us more infos to start the PSU? Whitch Pins must I short to power on?

As per the PDF, you need to connect pin C4 (Enable) to A3 (Logic_GND) as well as pin D2 (ON/OFF) to P7 (DC-)

This will start up the PSU. Initially it will run with fan speed on MAX, however as you load it up fan speed will throttle down to absolute silence, gradually increasing as heat increases dependant on load. Once charge cycle is finished on my Adaptto load is removed and fan speed again returns to full speed - this is actually kinda helpful as it gives you an audible indication of completion, however the high fan speed is quite noisy. Ideally I want to find a way to set default speed to minimum rather than maximum. It's possible to use a pot to adjust output voltage, however I haven't looked into this yet. The info is there in the PDF about the voltage adjustment.

ecross said:
-I have connect the pins, but the PSU dont start, only hiccup mode

-whats your thinking?
Apply power to unit
then
C4 (Enable) to A3 (Logic_GND)
then
D2 (ON/OFF) to P7 (DC-)
?

Try different orders of initialization?

With load applied? (52VDC through 100w light bulb, 500w halogen flood, 1000w heater)

NOTE: Just reread pin functions

Please read Protocol select on Page 5 & Page 7 - "Protocol select" Protocol to 52_OUT(-DC)
Looks like Protocol select might need to be enabled also? (750 – 3.92kΩ pull-down resistor? - for specific voltage?)
Use your own best judgement? Or wait for further opinions!

C1 (Protocol) to P7 (52_OUT(-DC))

... ?
CP1800AC52.jpg

Attachments

• Power On.jpg
    Power On.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,731
Back