A2B Metro aftermarket battery to the 2nd battery connector?

kevin_ve

1 µW
Hello, any A2B Metro owners added an aftermarket battery to the 2nd battery connector?
I'm hoping someone can help...
Does anyone know the pin outs on the 2nd battery connector on the A2B Metro e-bike, or where I might get a mating connector?
I'd like to connect an after-market 36 volt battery for the 2nd battery.
Seems like a shame to cut that nice connector off the bike if I can find the mating connector for it.
Ideally I would have a mating 5 pin "XLR type" female connector (see pic) to mate with the external "B battery connector", on a pigtail to an RCA type connector to my 36V battery pack I already have. (36V15Ah Li-Ion Alloy 05-Case EBike Battery Pack 90V~132V)
I would charge the 2nd battery separately with it's own charger.
I'm thinking I only need to use 2 of those pins, but which ones? There are apparently 2 more wires/pins used for the factory BMS that I don't think I need...
A2B was NO help due to liability issues I assume, as well as wanting me to buy their external battery :-(

I'm also be interested in other "upgrades" you might suggest for my A2B metro. Rear shock? better controller, computer, tires...
Thanks in advance,
Kevin
IMG_1148.JPG

pretty sure you'll find something if you search "5pin xlr"

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Stereo-XLR-Special-Mic-Cables/ci/8703/N/3992462196

http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Audio-Video-Connectors/XLR-Connectors/_/N-778cz

Yea, no luck on that connector. I think it's an XLR, but the Inside diameter is around 9/16 in (14.3 mm) The XLR's I have looked at so far are larger, around 5/8 in (15.88mm)

Well, for anyone interested, the mating connector appears to be a "Mobile Connector", Female, 5 pin, 240 degree... NOT an XLR. I haven't confirmed it or sourced it yet, but the pin and housing diameters match. If anyone wants to chime in on a source and part number....

Don't know the part number ( not been able to find a mating part either !)...
But, the connections are simple....at least on my Metro
Looking at the pins, with the locator key at the 12 o'clock position..
2 pins on the right at 2 o'clock and 4 o'clock are Negative polarity (both, connected in parallel !)
2 pins on the right at 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock are Positive polarity. ( both connected in parallel )
The remaining pin at 6 o'clock does not appear to be connected at all
If you find a source of mating plugs , let me know as I am equally reluctant to butcher a neat installation.

On mine, I just cut the connector off and tossed it. There's two heavy black/red wires for the secondary battery. I put Anderson connectors on them. I have no clue what the other small wires do, but it seems to work fine with them disconnected.

I'm using a 16s A123 pack (48v), which increases the top speed a bit. I added a resistor in series with the relay coil for the B pack to keep the coil around 36v. The stock controller seems to handle 48v fine.
I'm working on doing an external controller next. The moped tires I got help the cornering a lot too.

You can see some details here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50590

This is the connector that will connect to the Bike's external plug. It was actually sent to me by mistake as I was after the male plug to connect to the screw connector external battery. I ordered on amazon from Gaffney-Kroese supply corp.

20180427_211659.jpg20180427_211726c.jpg

In case you are looking for the male connector, here it is, also ordered from the same place.
20180512_110712[1]c.jpg

Can anyone tell where I can get a alpha plus battery or can I get aftermarket battery and controller to make it work..I dontvhave the old battery

kevin_ve said:
Hello, any A2B Metro owners added an aftermarket battery to the 2nd battery connector?
I'm hoping someone can help...
Does anyone know the pin outs on the 2nd battery connector on the A2B Metro e-bike, or where I might get a mating connector?
I'd like to connect an after-market 36 volt battery for the 2nd battery.
Seems like a shame to cut that nice connector off the bike if I can find the mating connector for it.
Ideally I would have a mating 5 pin "XLR type" female connector (see pic) to mate with the external "B battery connector", on a pigtail to an RCA type connector to my 36V battery pack I already have. (36V15Ah Li-Ion Alloy 05-Case EBike Battery Pack 90V~132V)
I would charge the 2nd battery separately with it's own charger.
I'm thinking I only need to use 2 of those pins, but which ones? There are apparently 2 more wires/pins used for the factory BMS that I don't think I need...
A2B was NO help due to liability issues I assume, as well as wanting me to buy their external battery :-(

I'm also be interested in other "upgrades" you might suggest for my A2B metro. Rear shock? better controller, computer, tires...
Thanks in advance,
Kevin
IMG_1148.JPG
Hi guys over the thread, new here ,my search drove me here , i have 2 A2b one velociti & one hybrid ,both batteries pretty much dead, rides 3 blocks then gives out ! looking to either rebuild or buy an off market battery & retrofit it to the a2b

has anyone been able too locate a matching connector for an off market non A2B battery ?
any help is appreciated , cant afford the ebikeplace $500 & 12weeks wait
thanks

Back