• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Adaptto automatic onboard charger and coil connection

lumenpdx

100 mW
I'm trying to plan out my onboard charging and trying to make sure I understand what's required here. I'll be using an Adaptto controller for battery charging, along with a pair of Mean Well HLG-240h chargers (24v, 10a). The chargers and charging coil will be mounted on the bike. My goal is to automate the charging process as much as possible. The coil can't be connected to the motor when riding or else Bad Things Happen.

I'm going to have an Arduino (actually a Teensy) on this bike to handle some other functions, and figured I'd use it to manage this too. I just need to make sure I'm approaching this operation correctly. My thinking is to use an AC current sensor on the charger's power leads to detect when the bike has been plugged in, and only then close a relay connecting the coil to a motor phase wire. When the AC is disconnected, the controller opens the coil relay.

I'm fine with the programming and such. But I don't have experience working with AC/DC at these levels.

The AC current sensor: I'd need a sensor sensitive enough to detect when the chargers are plugged in but not yet charging the batts. I haven't been able to determine what the "just sitting there doing nothing" current draw is on these Mean Wells. I'm considering something like this: http://www.amazon.com/ACS712-Current-Sensor-Detector-Amperage/dp/B00COD8KJY If the current draw at idle is negligable or undetectable, I'd probably have to use a simple AC-activated relay or something I suppose?

The relay: Any thoughts on a solid state vs mechanical? It needs to handle 48v at 20a. Would this work, or is it overkill for this task? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X465KW Any reason I couldn't just use a suitably rated mosfet instead? Perhaps an IRF5210?

As a byproduct of having a current sensor, I could easily implement an indicator light that shows the current charging state. I like that idea.

Ok, collective wisdom of the Endless Spheres... Will this work? And yes, I'm perfectly aware my EE skills are just enough to likely burn the house down...

I just realized the most elegant solution would be a 120v AC activated relay that could directly close the 48v DC circuit. That takes care of the whole connection/disconnection process in one package and is probably more reliable than using a microcontroller in the middle. But I'm only finding DC activated relays to switch AC loads. Thoughts?

Actually it would seem the most-most elegant solution might be a diode that prevents current from feeding from the controller out to the coil/charger? Does anyone know enough about the Adaptto charging system to know for certain how the connected coil affects the circuit and how to effectively isolate it without needing to manually disconnect the whole assembly? Would it make more sense to disconnect it from the charge-lead or the T'd into phase wire? I've read over the manual and manual supplement, but it's not clear to me which steps are critical to keep the system from letting the magic smoke out, and which steps are "just in case".

My plan is to use a DC-DC converter at the output of the charger, to convert "whatever voltage you're charging with" to 12V.
Use this 12V to close a 200 amp relay, which connects the coil to the phase lead.

As soon as charger gives out power, coil will be connected automatically.

Only thing is, when running 300-400 phase amps on a high powered motor, will that relay survive and not let current through?

Back