Adult Stand-up electric Scooter DIY

Animalector

10 kW
Good evening all,

ok, so I just started a new job today and parking is $4 per day in the carpark of the building where I will be working. I would rather free parking which is about 2km up the road. I live in Cairns, Australia so it's hot as hell even in the winter, and as a solution, I propose that I build myself an electric kick / standup scooter to pop in the car and scoot into work.

I was thinking something like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adult-Co...200679?hash=item3d1a2d97e7:g:EDoAAOSwn9lXKBaJ

And use something like this:
https://www.uumotor.com/dropout-size-65mm-hollow-tire-6-inch-gearless-hub-motor.html

with a custom battery consisting of 18650 cells or maybe cheap hobbyking lipo under or above the deck beneath a solid platform, alternatively in a pouch on the handle bar to get started.

Thoughts suggestions?

Andy

How much is that hub motor ? Looks like a hoverboard wheel with a through axle how do you change the tyre on them cant be as smooth as pneumatic be like a car with ultra low profiles, I imagine it would be cheaper to get two cheap controllers link the throttles and then bolt two hover board wheels on the rear of a scooter, hoverboards will do 15mph so a little overvolt and run them at 48v should be good for 20+mph but I don't think the tyre will change on them either not sure need a hover board owner to confirm.

I think from their webstie it was around $135 USD, some are around $100 but most are about $130 ish. I don't know yet about postage.
They have versions that are mono-axle as they call it - that is, the axle is presented on one side for hoverboard type equipment.

I would imagine that at 48V or thereabouts, it'd cruise along pretty well, and with a FOC controller it should be near silent, thus not arousing the suspicians of other pedestrians.. I'm not chasing super performance, but its more for the purposes of getting to work, without raising a sweat. I'll ride my bike on days that I want exercise.

inner speed sensor should be hall sensors. which only makes kind of sense, as external speed sensors are hall sensors as well ;)
but who cares about the speed signal anyhow?

i will follow your thread, as i always wanted to build an electric standup scooter as well. though it's not that easy.
if you consider the scooters you posted: you will need a double deck to install the battery in it, and those scooters all come without real brakes. they are not good enough to stop the scooter when feet operated. it's only a locking rear wheel and a lot of sliding.
you will need suspension and a front rear brake if you want to have reasonable speed. and even 25km/h is imho reasonable for a standup scooter.

there are some really small scooters with double deck and small front wheel hub. but they cost around $1000. they are light weight, and are ok for flat ground and sidewalk riding. but you lose the fun of building it.

btw: $4 for daily parking? i think this is a VERY reasonable price *ggg*. this is what i pay for an hour here. or what you pay for 10-15min in NYC. ;)

How big's your car? Can you fit a 24" or 26" front wheeled scooter? I hate the feel of those tiny wheeled scooters over bumps.

I've been eyeing off one of these.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Scooters-Bicycles-Zade-Scooters-Fixie-Bike-Push-Scooter-/231925698833?hash=item35ffd95111:g:O8QAAOSwQoFWQmnE

I've got some stupid fast Mxus 29mm hubs. I've been thinking of doing just this with a kickbike copy that has 20" rear wheels and a simple 36v battery stashed underneath.
Last mile transport done right, IMHO.

Love it but it's a bit big. Yes it will fit, but bigger than I wanted. I couldn't keep.that at my desk so inconvenient to have to go lock it up etc downstairs. It's not far to go maybe 1.5km to park in the free spots. So i think with 8" wheels it'll.be fine, 4" wheels.. Perhaps not.

Braking I was only going to go with regeneration on either front or rear depending on where I mount the wheel. And battery may be bolted to the handle.bar down tube

the bigger adult size scooter above with a set of skate trucks on the back and hub motors...mmm. I dont think I'll add an extra brake an go for the clean look. anyone made a three wheel vehicle with skate trucks on the back? Anyone remember the green machine big wheel...that was a cool vehicle when I was 7 and still is.
how much torque can you get out of that motor before it spins in the drop outs? I didnt see any other fixture. with a coaster brake they have something off the side that bolts to the bike but this just seems to be knarled nuts holding against the drop outs.

Back