• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Advice - lipo turnigy vs zippies

toft

10 W
Hy, I wanna build new pack - 15s2p (6x 5s 5ah). Im in Europe so prefer European warehouse. There now can buy 5s 5ah turnigy (20c) or zippies 20c too. Witch choose will be better? This pack is rather for commuter bike (cyclone kit) so prefer as many cycles as it is possible in best price. So with mark? Or majby somthing else? Should I buy more then 6 packs (7 maybe). Time too time as I read some packs have bad cells...

Get Turnigy.

Zippy packs are overrated in C rate by a factor of 2. I've had 2 generations of Zippy batteries and that has been the case both times. Turnigy will stay stronger longer ;)

The one advantage to zippy packs is that they are a bit lighter and smaller, but some of them tend to be missing about 100-300mAH :|

The last batch of zippy packs I got from the US warehouse were Turnigy packs... so not sure if there is a difference anymore. Just make sure you aren't getting the bottom end stuff.

I would also say the brand matters less than the c rate. Always buy as high a c rate as you can afford, then discharge at as low a c rate as you can.

If the zippys still come with unprotected bottoms, tape em up good. The turnigy packs had a thick plastic protector wrapped around 2 sides, top and bottom. I always wonderd why just two sides?

Turnigy, 25C or higher is usually a good bet. However, if the price jump is large it might make more $$$ sense to just buy 20C.

My +600 cycles, 2-1/2 year old batch of 20C Turnigy's still working fairly well. 75-80% capacity compared to when new.

Thanks, for responses. Well the 25+C rate is probably more safe option but difference in price is huge... I'll try buy turnigy pack on Black Friday sale. The price is very interesting 5s5ah -39$ per pack. Over that shipping cost (up to 2 weeks) to mi is only 23$ up to 25 kilos of weight. But still waiting on my money in Paypal acount (from friday - when I loaded account) and still nothing... :(

I have 2 x 6s Zippy Flightmax, connected as 12s1p and after a ride they would be quite warm, after a ride where I would be pulling 30a continuous.

I recently bought 2 x 7s Zippy Compacts and have connected them as 13s2p and this has made a big difference, they don't get as warm and the range is excellent.

I went for a 15 mile ride yesterday and my voltage alarms went off 1/2 mile from home, so I pedaled the rest of the way, my voltages were all around 3.6v, except for one cell at 2.9v in one of the 6s packs and a couple cells at 3.2v here and there.

I saw similar results. Running 5 ah of 30c turnigy with a 40 amp controller, The end of the ride saw the packs quite warm. Not super hot, but still quite warm. Adding another pack for 10 ah of 30c solved it, with the packs only slightly warm at the end of the ride.

Due to some noobish overdischarging at 40 amps, those first 4 packs did not last near as long as ones bought later that discharged at only half the c rate. Mostly this was because of multiple very deep discharges, near 3v. But the higher c rate couldn't have helped any.

Definitley spring for the higher c rate if you will run only a 5 ah pack, and have a hot controller.

I'm running the 5ah 20c Turnigy packs.
The way I have them configured they never see more than a 2c discharge rate.
So they never break a sweat.
They're 7s3p feeding a 30 amp motor/controller.
Maximum total voltage sag is ~1v.

Don't forget to inspect them on arrival and if you can cycle them (charge and discharge) you really want to jump on any irregularities ASAP

Back