Amateur's Build your own charger

so when, and if the charger that i have built fails open there's not that much crisis. If it feels closed it goes straight to Mains for .04 sec ( tested )and the 15 amp breaker will trip immediately. I am not saying that the charger that I have made is safe in any way, nor have I suggested for anyone to build what I've created. But it works for me and will continue to work till my house burns down....
Till then

Attachments

• 2019-08-29 19.12.10.jpg
    2019-08-29 19.12.10.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,069
what if that cheap 12v car relay welds or arcs over at 100+VDC? pretty sure that thing is not rated for these voltages.
i'm fairly certain the result is not going to be pretty for both your charger and the battery before a fuse/breaker upstream pops.

just option, who not get something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32945203635.html

i got a older model a few years ago that does 110V 18A and it does the business and is in the same price range. might want to spend a few extra bucks for a silent fan because the original one is shit.

Here is an old topic on a similar charger topology:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4047&hilit=bad+boy+charger

I've seen guys use a big Variac and a bridge rectifier. Not even a capacitor. They did have an ammeter though.
Fuses, circuit breakers and GFCIs are good.

Having a little supervisor circuit that will turn things off if the voltage or current goes over a preset limit would not be too hard.

relying on a house breaker as a fuse for a charger in case of failure seems wantonly reckless. At least put a fast blow fuse in line with the supply.

The ring terminals that are zip tied together - is that to keep them out of the way? Or are those connections?

mattthemuppet said:
The ring terminals that are zip tied together - is that to keep them out of the way? Or are those connections?

its probalby to keep the connectors together when the cap is removed, otherwise you are fighting everything to get it back together.

still, a better design would not require such a rediculous capacitor in the first place.

Djangolo said:
Wow, thank you Amateur. I didn't even know you could do this at home. By the way, I thought that such things can only be done if you have some kind of engineering education, but it turned out not. Only I have a question, where can I buy such spare parts? I recently Googled and came across only this site spam link removed. Who can advise me on some other options, and preferably cheaper. I don't necessarily need new parts, I can also use old ones, as long as they are in working condition. Thank you in advance, you're a cool guy, keep it up.

Bruh, Flippy absolutely destroyed this thrash. What kind of battery are you trying to charge? This is 1000% not the solution.

Back