• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

An anti-corrosion experiment. (early stage)

I've always used Armor-all as a corrosion fighter on my bikes. I just spray it everywhere. It keeps the bike clean and non-rusting.

The only problem is that I'm all the time running out to get another quart. The cost is not exactly a killer, it's mostly the need to go to the store. But if I could get costs down, too, that'd be good.

So yesterday I tried something new. I mixed a couple of ounces of liquid auto wax (the green stuff) with an equal amount of paint thinner in a small spray bottle. My hope was that the paint thinner would evaporate leaving a thin coating of wax behind.

It seems to have worked; my test pieces were a piece of iron and a 2 x 4. In both cases, checking this morning, they seem dry with a light green haze.

I might try rubbing alcohol as the dispersant next.

Of course, they market spray-on wax, but it's not all that cheap. And this concoction might not be a lot less expensive than Armor-all. But if it leaves a "hard shell finish" particularly in, say, cable sheath ends and the bottom of chain stays and places like that it'll be worth it.

It might also be useful for making any jacket or gloves, etc., water resistant. Though if it doesn't breathe, then it'll still be warm. But your choices of what to wear have just expanded a great deal.

I'll come back if any further observations seem worth reporting.

I find a nice thick layer of road film built up over many months without washing my bike to work very well. :mrgreen:

I use the same method.

I remember somebody saying a heavy equipment owner used to brush a coat of used oil on the bottom of all their machines. Then they would use them in the dust until the whole bottom of the machines were crusted with oil/dirt. Presto, free rust barrier.. thought that was neat.

But don't misunerstand; with Armor-All there is no dirt buildup. It doesn't stick to it at all. Things stay clean.

I'm hoping that wax will have a similar effect.

I have a suspicion that Armor-All might be little more than paraffin wax. But that's mostly guesswork; they keep the ingredients to themselves.

http://www.experts123.com/q/what-are-the-ingredients-in-armor-all-cleaners-do-they-contain-silicone-alcohol-or-chemical-solvents.html

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71838

google " armorall ingredients " and you find all sorts of stuff...

Ever try " Rust Check " ?

I'm guessing the alcohol will probably work better than the thinner. I have most of an old gallon of Part-All (#10 I think) around here somewhere, which is essentially wax suspended in an alcohol-like solution, which when it evaporates leaves the wax on a mold surface to help you get the part you're casting out of or off of the mold when done.

http://www.rexco-usa.com/part.htm

Regarding the paint thinner hurting paint on the bike, that depends on the bike paint. If it's powdercoat, it probably won't touch it. Same with ohter epoxy or baked-on paints. Unless it's a rattle-can job, most of the bikes I've had were invulnerable to paint thinners of any type I tried.

All the same, paint thinner doesn't sound like a good idea on any paint.

Don't know why I didn't think of it. Paint thinner, duhhh......

So now it's on to rubbing alcohol.

Back