An Inspirational guy who makes special electric wheelchairs!

bigmoose

1 MW
Without any background in engineering or physics, Brad set out to design a better wheelchair for Liz. One that would provide no limits.
"I did not [have any experience]. What I did was, with my concept, I went around to a lot of people and the first thing they asked me is if I was an electrical engineer,” Soden recalled.
“I'm just a dumb ol' hillbilly, but I wasn't going to take no for answer so when a lot of people turned me down...it didn't stop me. I just kept working at it."
Soden began devouring books on electrical engineering, and he began tinkering.
"I made my first Tank Chair in 2007," Soden said. "And I basically pushed the limits on what you can do with electricity. Started a lot of fires, met a lot of resistance. But from what I learned, with the applied science, we've done some pretty cool things."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/02/sweet-chariot-arizona-man-love-for-paralyzed-wife-makes-him-king-custom/#ixzz2PzPV0UyD

tankchair_White-House.jpg

This guy has done so much for disabled mobility! Wish he were a member here! They were in a car wreck, she came out paralyzed and he walked away. She said, "Dump me." His response was: "Will you marry me?"

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/

This guy is the spiritual successor to all of us. Became paraplegic due to a bike accident. Knows his way around a hyperion charger and lithium batteries more than most of us. Builds his own lithium power wheel chairs from the ground up.

This guy is perhaps the DoctorBass of some wheelchair forum out there :)

You mean me? :)

Take a look here: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-MK3-lithium-fast-powerchair.htm Built in a bedroom.

This is shorter, narrower and lower seat than most indoor only chairs.
Also 2 or 3 times faster at true 15mph, has at LEAST 45 real world miles range (45v Lifepo4 3000 watt hour battery), double the torque, 2x 150 amp 50v roboteq controller, works on sand, snow, etc as well as uses tubeless puncture free low pressure high floatation all terrain or turf tyres and so has a "softer " ride. Uses a Hyperion charger (that I helped develop) and Bluetooth connectivity.

Enjoy...

Oh, Chassis construction and batts, of this bedroom designed chair... Pics:
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-construction/

BT conversion http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/hyperion-1420-bluetooth-conversion.htm

This guy has done so much for disabled mobility! Wish he were a member here! They were in a car wreck, she came out paralyzed and he walked away. She said, "Dump me." His response was: "Will you marry me?"
What a guy!

Welcome to the forum Burgerman ... nice lecky chair you build very inspiration
stuff! I too am in a wheelchair, i use a manual chair 24/7 (Quickie) Luckily
i have some use of my legs which gives me alot more mobility
and options when it comes to 'powered mobility devices' ::wink:: Technically
I do own an electric 'mobility device' which does give me alot more
independence, it has 'four wheels' (technically LOL) only two are used
once transferred to the seat however.

All the best with your current and future builds, have bookmarked your site will follow with
interest...

KiM

Brilliant! Way to go. With todays tools there is just no excuse for settling for a one size fits all wheelchair, prosthetic leg, etc. Love the one with the tracks.

Ah! nice to see you here, burgerman!

I followed a link on my stats page.

this:

"Avoid BMS Battery like the plague" sig,

Is THE BEST ADVICE POSSIBLE.

BMS caused almost every battery failure there ever is. They are universally dismally crap for a bunch of reasons! Throw them away now and learn what you are doing! Use a hobby style charger that will not send cells high and that balances them properly at the TOP only.

Here is my 3000 Watt hour 78 cell 13s 6p headway pack. This is after putting about 50Ah back over 4.5 hours. This is what you call balanced. The last few mins, and zoomed in. There's 13 traces here.

Attachments

• balance.gif
    balance.gif
    16 KB · Views: 1,107
Haha, well actually BMSBattery is a company that sells some of the shittiest battery packs ever.
I agree about BMSes though, some here call them battery murdering systems :mrgreen:

I always chop a little voltage off the top, a little voltage off the bottom, and bulk charge while checking balance every 50 cycles or so.

...damn, that is a monster sized pack. I wish we could get away with that... weight matters a lot on two wheels. Bet your battery lasts forever and then some!

On that note, do you know a way to make the hyperion chargers charge continuously, skipping that periodic 0 amp part of the charge cycle? that always annoyed me about my hyperion.

@Burgerman - WOW What a awesome and impressed!

You might want look this up the Zoomcamp 4x4 wheelchair using MagicPie motors.

[youtube]9PYdKnYwJU8[/youtube]

I am pretty sure I sold my Magic Pie Lyen 12fet bike to his partner in Sedona Az.

If I am thinking of the right guy the two of them build some seriously awesome wheelchairs; fire breathing dragons and, machine gun mounted chairs and things, then give them to disabled veterans. He also mentioned how they started by building "battle bots" that would fight in arenas on national television.

Definitely one of the coolest guys I have ever met.

I think that showing him my pneumatic fireball launcher was a selling point when I sold him my e-bike. :D

parajared said:
I think that showing him my pneumatic fireball launcher was a selling point when I sold him my e-bike. :D

Video definately needed of that!! Can go with methods video of the fire suit and luke with the "fire thrower!"

On that note, do you know a way to make the hyperion chargers charge continuously, skipping that periodic 0 amp part of the charge cycle? that always annoyed me about my hyperion.

Its very useful for its algo as it monitors the REAL cell voltage, and the real terminal voltage both on charge and off. It can then see when to really slow down, and guestimate the actual cell voltage ignoring the cable resistance and know whats happening.

But if you really don't want to balance cells every charge (YOU SHOULD!) then you could tell it its a lead battery and choose MAX amps, Correct Capacity (Charges CC/CV to 100thC then stops - you can choose less or more capacity to charge to a greater or lesser than 100th C up to a point.) Volts? You choose. From 13.8, to 29.4v or multiples for 24v or 36v or 48v, and Float OFF.

LiFe batteries charge at constant rate with no to little voltage rise over most of the charge right up till about 99 percent full. Then they go sky high super fast! That's where they get damaged by BMS that doesn't catch one cell getting full till 3.7 or higher. Often nearer 4 volts... So you REALLY SHOULD use balance and a charger like the Hyperion EVERY charge. And those breaks allow it to PROPERLY end charge or control charge rate.

The other stupid thing BMS do in many cases is try to balance during use and in less than full state. This puts the pack MILES out at full charge... So again some cells go sky high in the last few seconds. THROW AWAY your BMS!

Back