• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Android and Iphone what apps?

i just bought an android phone they keyboard sucks but its very small and portable, i downloaded mytracks from google its legit, google also has a navigation app, is there any others you guys recommend? these things are pretty cool, no wonder apple made an obscure patent mating an iphone with a bike, apple bike maybe? checkout the mytracks vid its pretty cool stuff

http://mytracks.appspot.com/

Hack it for root access.

Then wireless tether is awesome. (and others)
You can also install any app at no cost after this.

Btw- if you hate the keyboard, once hacked, get "swype".

Which device did you get?

I've got a motorola cliq and use My Tracks. I start recording a track and after the ride, 'send the map to google' and save it as a new ride.

I notice the detail on the phone map is much better than on the google map, as is the data. But on the google map, you can click the endpoint to pull up key stats and an elevation chart:
mytracks.jpg

cool, i got one the samsung intercept that just came out for virgin mobile, paying about $25 a month so that makes it pretty attractive, the device aint anything special i kinda wish the screen was bigger but hopefully itll b easier to mount on the handlebar, do any of you guys have any video in particular you recommend for putting a custom rom or rooting? are these the same thing or not? ive seen alot of stuff out there but so far it seems that i need to find something custom for my phone first, and it seems while htc's have alot out there samsung keeps things closed

ambrose found Dynomaster. I can't find it thru the market tho.

from web site:
Dynomaster provides the following features:
Record the following track data: position, speed, acceleration, altitude, bearing, absolute time, elapsed times, and power (HP or kW).
Record your data using multiple trigger modes: by movement, delayed, or by speed.
View 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, and 60 foot ETs. Create your own custom speed or distance ETs.
View your track data with graphical analysis on your phone.
Replay your track data instantly on your phone.
Share your track data via email, web posting, Twitter, Facebook, and more.
Send your data to Google Earth for desktop replay, analysis, and editing.
Send your data as a spreadsheet for analysis in MS Excel or Open Office.
Enable speech to have your speed and times spoken to you while you're racing.
Provide real-time ET times and speed to your fans via Twitter.
Launch Street View to see a panoramic view of your run.
Supports metric and English units.
Supports external bluetooth GPS receivers (via add-on).
Click the User Guide link for more information about these and other Dynomaster features.

Hi there,
I use speedview it's free and create a quite clean gpx file (track). I upload it then on http://www.sportdistancecalculator.com
This apps it's fully reliable on my hero with 2.1 and know froydvillain.
I'm still searching for an app which could merge a film and a gpx file. That would be totally kickass.
If someone heard about any project on this direction I would be glad to know it :-D
and yes.. Android rocks :mrgreen:

I use MyTracks but I find the interface is rather painful, though it does work. I've been mucking about with the source code for a couple weeks to see if I can make it more user friendly (like a big green "GO" button and "STOP" for recording, rather than fiddling with the menu button and then record track and stop recording... sheesh Google). If I ever get there, I'll be sure to post it up here :)

mytracks is cool but id preffer if the main interface could toggle to the aggregated statistics page, thats mostly what i need unless i had no idea where i was going which in a commute is never the case, bet it could save battery too, that and to be able to get avg moving speed per trip etc, right now i have to go into some menu to delete all trips to reset it, just so i can see my avg moving speed for that trip

That would be a simple change I think.

The whole app suffers from too many clicks to get anything done. I have used MyTracks exclusively for hikes, and I just want to hit a button to start recording/stop, and the map is only marginally useful because there is usually no data connection in the woods. I look at the altitude and the aggregated stats, which are two clicks away from each other.

Are there are stats you think are more important than the rest? It might be possible to cram them on the map. For me, it's how far I've come and how fast we're moving, just because I want to know I'll get back to the car before it gets dark or starts to rain.

The biggest battery drain on mytracks is going to be the GPS, so using the Map View or Stats view won't make any difference, since the raw data for both comes from the GPS.

that would be cool if it had a layer of stats or even the map cropped and some stuff on the bottom just goin off the top of my head of what i thinks more important in the stats

mph, the phone would make the coolest speedo ever! i actually got speedometer, speedview and gpshub just cuz its so cool to actually use ur phone to get an accurate speed distance especially at night and its such a simple function i cant believe how horribly mytracks fails at this, i also like the average moving speed because its the most accurate since it factors out the 0 mph at stops and intervals i never look at the actual average speed cuz of this, i always forget to stop it when i get somewhere and itll average in all the sit down time and when im walking around inside a building, which is not what im interested in

the distance is also pretty cool but i gotta also reset it all cuz i always only want it for that one trip, like knowing how far you've hiked for getting back before sundown, its important knowing our battery range and how much juice we got to 'come back', especially when ur zig zagging accross streets which is like always, or when ur cruising uncharted new paths, problem is google thinks what we really want is more of an odometer, but its not info that u need easy access to like speed & distance while actually riding on the bike, plus i got a cheapie $2 speedo on my bike which can give me that already and do a much better job since i never reset it anyway

btw does the GPS function need phone service to run?

by the way anyone tried making a mount for the phone to the bike? im thinking about buying one of these for the iphone and just modding it out, cant go wrong for $2 right? i saw another one for $6 but its bigger and i preffer an enclosure than a padded craddle cuz i can see my phone flying off that thing,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Bike-Mount-Holder-GPS-Mp3-PDA-iPhone-3G-new-/150359574783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23022108ff#ht_4497wt_907

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bike-Bicycle-Mount-Holder-Cell-Phone-GPS-MP3-iPhone-/320600687879?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4aa54a4507#ht_5197wt_907

Yeh I need a holder. I hadn't looked into it yet. I would really hate for my $500 Nexus One to go flying off the handlebars.

The GPS does NOT require a data plan. However, the Google Map will not populate map tiles without access to data :) You can pre-cache map tiles by scrolling around before leaving your home's wifi. Depending on the phone, it caches some # of map tiles... I don't know the exact amount. I did this when traveling in Turkey last month all the time, I was able to get most of Istanbul at one zoom level, then one neighborhood zoomed in closer.

Hey guys, quick question... which Android phones do you have and Android OS version?

HTC Wildfire with Android 2.1 soon to be 2.2 hopefully :) awesome little phone nice cheap entry in to smart phones IMHO not too bulky in the pocket either, my first smart phone, just love the Android OS brilliant :)

What about something like this?

Does anyone care about elevation BTW?

Attachments

• newMockup.png
    newMockup.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,438
I use B.icycle on my iphone 3g. It has maps that show and plot your position on cycle routes.
http://www.b-icycle.com/home.html

superb find thats a cool app, definitely gotta port it over to android wow i was thinking of getting a touch just to run some cool apple apps, no gps till the 3g phone? that sucks getting reamed for being one of the early adopters, just like the ipads probably gonna get a camera come march or september

In case anyone is interested... I finally made some progress last night-- I'm aiming just to overlay details over the MyTracks map for rev 1. The current speed is rather wacky at the moment. Just sitting at my desk it says I'm moving 1km/h. Sometimes there is a jump up to several hundred km/h. I'll post when I get that fixed...

Attachments

• MojoTracks20110105.png
    MojoTracks20110105.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,402
smooooooooooth :)
I would just add the possibility to record the gpx in "offline" mode (no network) that's an interesting option available on some other soft.
Anyway, very impressive work!
Gruß,
H.

It's been frustrating testing without a mount for the phone. Riding around looking at a phone is probably a good way to get killed.

So I ordered the Arkon handlebar mount from Amazon. But I was a bit impatient for it to arrive so I made a ghetto mount from a Gibson pickup box, hose clamp, and rubber band.

Attachments

• proto1.jpg
    proto1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,468
The Arkon mount arrived and it works much better. I'm a bit worried because the handlebar clamp is sized such that it won't go over the fatter part of my MTB bars. This could be a problem on my Downtube since it's already festooned with accessories.

For $15, it's higher quality than I expected. Not that's it's amazing, but totally sufficient for on road riding. There's no way I'd take a $400 phone up in the hills on it though without some added insurance.

I also tried out a early revision of a simpler application than the MyTracks fork. While MyTracks is cool, there's a lot of stuff in there, and I really only care to have an equivalent to my bicycle computer-- but that also tracks my ride.

I mapped it out afterwards and it worked rather well. There were some random points that jumped off the track, but I'm sure I can filter those out. Yeah!

Attachments

• arkon.jpg
    arkon.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2,467
Back