Another Giant DH Team build but this time Clyte 4065 on 24s

Trackman417,

Where is this ian.mich located? Web address? I have almost $600 in my two lipo chargers, a Thunder Power 820 and a Hyperion Super Duo so ditching one to get a bulk charger only makes sense to me. I'm too lazy to pull and charge 12 packs and have been toying with going to 16 for a 24s4p just because I have them.

Help a brother out???

Tom

litespeed said:
Trackman417,

Where is this ian.mich located? Web address? I have almost $600 in my two lipo chargers, a Thunder Power 820 and a Hyperion Super Duo so ditching one to get a bulk charger only makes sense to me. I'm too lazy to pull and charge 12 packs and have been toying with going to 16 for a 24s4p just because I have them.

Help a brother out???

Tom

Look him up. That's his handle on the forum lol. It seems you looked everywhere but E-S :wink:
$600 in chargers is quite excessive. I can't believe nobody saved you from balance charging just yet :shock: .
Tell me how it goes.

A little urban riding obeying all the local speed limits. I think I need more batteries. Doing in the 20 mph range (read fast bicycle speeds!) i can go over 40 miles. Going 30 to 40mph I'm good for about 20 miles.

[youtube]EhGRvRUHVvI[/youtube]

Sure is fun and quite though!

Need a new frame or try my luck with a fiberglass battery box. Want an Adaptto controller mostly so I can plug and play!

Tom

I finally got around to upping my amps to 60......wow did that make a difference. Bumping the throttle causes the front wheel to come up when your not expecting it. Hit it hard off a curb or bump and the front end doesn't come down. Now though I'm really starting to warm the rear hub up. Hottest I have gotten it is 132 degrees on the outer magnet ring between the spoke "hubs". Not sure what the limit is even after a search. I guess I may have to try one of the cooling mods although I was hoping I wouldn't have to.

I'm peaking at 57XX watts under load but the majority of the time I keep the bike at 25 mph which is a steady 5 to 8 amp draw or about 750 watts.

My bike tops out at just under 44 mph with me sitting upright and no peddling with charge at about 90%. That is with the speed lowered to 99% on the Lyen programming. Running at the 120% i was at had me scared but not sure if I should have been or not?

Next I was going to reinstall the frame bag and up the batteries to 24s5p or 25 amps (I have enough batteries to go 24s6p!) but since I'm heating the motor up in an hour it's probably not a good idea right now. I wonder if I would be better off to go to 30s3p for the heat issue?

Tom

I think you woul be fine upping the voltage and lowering the amps. If the 4065 is getting hot, maybe you need to limit your WOT to just a few every half hour or so. I bet this thing rips with that much power 8) . I was thinking about getting a lyen controller, but i just snapped one of my torque arms at 20s 40amps :shock: .
Do you have a temp probe? If so, use that as your guide to tell you how much fun you can have and when you should take it easy and just cruise around.

I've been thinking of getting the CA v3 but would rather get an Adaptto if they ever come available. I know the min I go buy a v3 they will be up for sale.

Tom

BTW....this thing does rip. Makes me wonder what a Cromotor or John's Mini-monster would feel like.

Bad news today. Let my 17 yr old son take it out and he broke the axle on a crash. I have the axle but mow need to figure out how to get it installed.

Hope he didn't blow the controller.

Tom

When I bought the hub from Kenny I bought 2 axles to go along with it just in case.......now here is the case.

He just got a few scratches and is just fine.

Tom

How did he break the axle? :shock: the quality on these motors is real questionable isn't it man?

I don't think he would have blown the controller, unless your son gunned the throttle after the axle broke.
If you know someone with a 2-ton press use that to drop the old axle out and press the new axle in. There are some YouTube videos of the process. I would like to see what you jerry rigged for a press if you couldn't find one.

I was actually looking for some details on pulling the motor apart. A few searches relieved nothing.

Actually my son did not know he broke the axle and gunned it coming up the driveway and he said the motor stopped. It spun on one side and had the wires pinched but not cut. I haven't a clue how it broke either but it was OK when I got back from my ride earlier although I may have weakened it after some 600+ miles of abuse. On the questionable part yea I'm with you on that. I often wondered if I should have an axle made out of better stuff or have the axle made larger using larger bearings and reduce the size where it goes into the bike frame. Heck you could use an 1 1/2" bearing and have enough room for 8 gauge phase wires and still have twice the meat at the wire channel that there is now.

Have any motor dismantlement videos or threads to help a brother out?

Tom

On my build thread. I pull the side covers off using wooden shims. Unscrew all the screws off the wire side cover. If some screws won't come out because of how tight they were put in leave them for last. For the screws that don't come out with the screw driver: I put the screw driver on the screw and then hit the screw driver with a hammer rather fiercely. That loosened the screw up enough for me to in screw the rest of them. After that I got a sharpie marke to make where the side cover went. Apparently orientation matters when putting the side cover back on. In order to pry the side cover off, I got three wood chisels and lightly tapped them into the cover do the cover rises evenly. When you get enough space to put wood shims in between the casing and the cover, start putting them in and start tapping at the shims with the hammer to raise the cover off the bearing. The cover should pop off the bearing or come off with the bearing.
I never took the stator out of the casing so I would look some YouTube videos up on how to take it out. Hope this gets you started. I know I wouldn't want my bike out of commision for more then a couple days.

nice build, sorry to hear about the axle.

here is a video on how to take the axle out...i believe the only way is to use a press like this:

[youtube]xtQzsCDV6tM[/youtube]

and another video on how to take the motor apart (the easiest way is using a three claw gear puller)

[youtube]4NbC2EtUw84[/youtube]

Really enjoyed few pages of your build, shame about the sad ending.

I also have the 4065, just cracked a rim was looking for info about the motor dimensions.

Since you've probably got your motor all apart, wondering if you had them by any chance? I don't have great measuring equipment, but will have to do it that way if I can't find the specs. Seller doesn't seem to share them over as I want to go to another rim (not crystalyte again).

Effective Rim Diameter mm
Hub Flange Diameter mm
Flange Spacing mm
Diameter of a spoke hole mm
Cross pattern cross
Number of spokes

from http://www.ebikes.ca/SpokeCalc.shtml

cheers and hope all goes well.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/velocity-psycho-alloy-rim-26-x-1-75-36h-black-msw

That is the rim I have and it was laced by ebikessf.com in a single cross pattern.

You will have to contact Ilia if you have any other questions. If I was you and in hindsight for mine I would go with a motorcycle/moped rim from John Homes. His web site is, http://holmeshobbies.com/home.php?cat=31 so you can run a tire, rim and tube that will last longer than you or I will!

Tom

Thanks,

unfortunately shipping to Australia is going to be a killer. I tried the cart and it seems to bug out and not allow me to order anyway...

All the DH rims I want are the same. I was looking at Alex dx32 and the shipping said up to 2 months!!!!!!!!

I want to ride today and I could wait a week or two...

Dam it Australia!!!!!!!

Not sure if it will or not but I live in Missouri also and will help in anyway I can. I shipped a couple off road cars to Australia a couple years back and it took like 2 months in a container......crazy amount of time.

Tom

Back