Another suspected ebike cheater

speedmd said:

Go Italy! Hehe
Screen-Shot-2016-02-12-at-11.18.10.png

UCI did a mass check of 90bikes in a Spanish race....
LONDON, Feb 12 (Reuters) - Cycling's world governing body carried out unannounced spot checks on around 90 bikes at the La Mediterraneenne stage race on Friday, but found no evidence of mechanical doping.
The raids came after a concealed engine was found in a bike ridden by 19-year-old Belgian Femke Van den Driessche at the recent UCI Cyclo-cross world championships last month.
It was the first proven case of mechanical doping in elite cycling, although Den Driessche denied any wrongdoing, saying at the time the bike did not belong to her.
UCI president Brian Cookson has vowed to crack down on technological fraud, in which a small motor can be fitted inside the frame to provide assistance to a rider.
Six teams had their bikes checked at Friday's team trial in Banyoles in Spain.
"These bike checks used the same type of equipment which the UCI trialled at the 2016 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships in Heusden-Zolder where a concealed engine was detected," the UCI said in a statement.
"This equipment enables those performing the tests to investigate large numbers of bikes, both frames and wheels, in a short period of time."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3444597/Cycling-UCI-raid-Mediterraneenne-race-no-hidden-motors.html#ixzz400Oi0eP2
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

And some info on check methods...
http://www.wired.com/2016/02/clever-ways-to-catch-a-pro-cyclist-cheating-with-a-hidden-motor/

speedmd said:
I posted the wired article earlier, and it is a good one for anyone interested. I know the video of another cheat suspect has been posted before, but this is a interesting analysis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQv0_ypKEP4
Pretty stupid analysis, sorry mate! :)
In this particular instance, the gravity did the trick. The counter-slope towards the inside of the corner is very pronounced here. Remember it's a sharp downhill hairpin. The bike rolled down by its own weight.

Folken said:
speedmd said:
I posted the wired article earlier, and it is a good one for anyone interested. I know the video of another cheat suspect has been posted before, but this is a interesting analysis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQv0_ypKEP4
In this particular instance, the gravity did the trick. The counter-slope towards the inside of the corner is very pronounced here. Remember it's a sharp downhill hairpin. The bike rolled down by its own weight.

You don't know that anymore than if there is a motor.

Folken said:
speedmd said:

Maybe stupid, but not so sure any of us can trust pro cycling 100% anymore. Clearly, to my eyes, the bike moves much further than I and most would expect in most any road situation. I don't think much effort should be put on looking back, but going forward things will certainly be different. Last year we watched the italian champ get a huge push in a major tour from the team car when going through a deep forest section mostly clear of the helicopter cameras. Nothing is beyond what these cheating teams will do. Nothing. Thanks Lance! :?

MadRhino said:
Next they will hide the motor inside the rider. Motorized hips and knees, soon they will have to add X ray to dope tests. Cheating is so common now, that I would not be surprized to see competitions to crown the world best cheater. :D
Precisely why I don't follow cycling racing anymore.... I would be surprised if the best cheat is not the one being rewarded anyway, already.

It would be interesting to see no rules racing develop. Drugs, motors, whatever all legal....

"Motor-doping case leads to motorised road-bike sales surge"
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/motor-doping-case-leads-to-motorised-road-bike-sales-surge/019217

...now a Dutch TV network has reported by bicycle dealers in the Netherlands are selling more e-bikes, including bikes equipped with the kind of bottom-bracket motors suspected to have been used by Driessche in the UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships staged in Belgium in January.

NOS reports that Dutch bike shops are doing "brisk business" thanks to what the UCI calls "technological fraud" and the TV network calls the "Femke effect".

The Dutch TV network reported that "sales of mechanical power assistance have increased significantly."

Another reported that sales of Vivax road-bike motors had gone up from one per week to five per week.

8)

Can a sporting organization actually force you to pay? What if you just quit competing, what can they do to collect? Seems to me that unless the police arrest her for attempting to defraud the other non-cheating racers all they can do is kick her out of their little bicycle club. And if they have already banned her, where is their leverage: my darts league can vote to fine me $50,000 too, but how do they collect in court?

Can they force you? Depends where you are and what you did. They will use this certainly as a test case for this type of fraud. UCI has some leverage though the IOC (international Olympic committee) and the associated countries NGB's (national governing bodies) through some very unusual laws and bylaws. If she or her NGB wants to send cyclists to most any international event, they will pay or settle in some fashion. Not a chance Belgium will not send a team to the next Olympics. You have a better chance of seeing a major tax imposed on all ebike sales/ imports in Belgium specifically to pay for the fines if she or the NGB can not pay than to not have cycling represented by this power house country. It is the NGB that selected and sent her to worlds. It is their responsibility to filter out and send clean riders within reasonable levels of scrutiny. The fact that she stepped up her performance in a as yet to be explained major amount in the national championship, leaves the NGB at least partially at fault for not looking deeper into possible cheating. We should have many of the blanks filled in after the hearing next week. It is looking like she is toast.

That does not really answer the question. If this individual refuses to pay and just quits the sport, what can they do to that person? I don't see how the national sanctioning body would be on the hook either, since their rules will have clearly stated that no mechanical assistance is permitted. Can my golf club enforce a $50,000 fine against me for a rules violation during tournament play between country clubs and how can they be responsible for my equipment and it's compliance with the rules? They can assess any fine they want and can even ban me but how can they collect actual money from me?

Well, I suppose if you've signed any form of contract with them (membership agreement, etc), that gives them the right to assess such fines and fees, then they could take you to a civil court to sue for the money, which would probably then award it based on the contract/agreement, I'd guess.

So once they have a civil trial over the ability of the sanctioning body to assess a fine and another to determine the amount of a "reasonable" fine, they then have to collect from a non-compliant 20-something debtor with no assets? Good luck with that! (based upon my experience as a commercial landlord!)

It seems to me that a far more effective strategy is to simply Name and Shame and then ban for life.......

I bet their staff attorneys suggested a big fine, since they are the only ones who will make any money here :lol:

It depends on the NGB and the contract. Most will require a contract for internationally competing athletes. I know several in other sports that have refused to sign the contracts. It gets ugly quickly and most financial support is killed with this move. It also allows the competitor some freedom from training and competition restrictions as well as such liabilities that are listed in them. If she has been awarded travel, equipment or training money, they may be entitled to a bit of claw back. She is on the national team and the sponsorship potential at that level is sizable if this can be settled and she can go about business as if nothing happened. Fines most times are very small compared to what some can generate. In this situation, they most likely will bankrupt a already penniless kid. She most likely will not even end up with a suitable training bike or ride at all.

She'll get a big thank you from Vivax though since their business has a five-fold increase in sales volume. The overall e-bike business in Europe also seems to have received a boost. Source: Bike Biz.

"She most likely will not even end up with a suitable training bike or ride at all."

So. Would awarding the Grrrl the annual ES Ebike Winners Trophy help much?

Back