Any of you use T12 tips for soldering connectors? Which tips do you use?

Aquakitty

100 W
I bought a fancy soldering station but the tips that came with it are garbage for soldering things like MT60's or XT60's etc. Maybe something like a C4 or D4 tip would be better?

I don't know tips by the numbers, but my best iron for soldering 12g or larger wire was made for stain glass windows. Not a lot of wattage, but a huge heat sink in that gigantic, long, wide, tip.

Whatever your choices may be, get the biggest fattest tip you can get your hands on. Save the pointy one for soldering tiny stuff.

I ended up getting a C4 tip and that helped me a lot with the larger gauge wire and xt90 ends. Larger surface area for contacting all that metal. I'll have to see if I can find the series but I found a training video from a company that showed how to perfectly set those cups in xt60 and xt90 with solder. Essentially, you tin your wire first, you cut a short length of solder the height of the little cup, melt the solder by heating the cup itself on the top edge and then place the tinned wire inside when the solder liquifies.

Tough to describe but I'll try to link a video because it worked like a dream.

edit: found the series, I'm sure plenty of people have seen these but thought I'd share because these are informative and easy to follow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GLeCt_u3U8&list=PL926EC0F1F93C1837&index=3

Back