Are ebike Kits legal in Ontario?

johnnyz383

100 W
Ok i have to bring this up because there appears to be some ambiguity in the ebike laws in Ontario. Simply put, are ebike kits illegal in Ontario?..

I refer to the Article http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/emerging/e-bike-faq.shtml#top. Apparently an ebike that doesnt have a label affixed to it is illegal?...my assumption reading the article is that a manufactured ebike must bear this not a kit. Anybody really know what the law is?

john

I am in Ottawa and have a regular pedal bike that is converted to a E bike. Yes I remember reading that it is suppose to have a sticker on it. I been riding now on my E bike for 7 years and never had the Police blink a eye at me. In Ottawa scooter type "E bike" are not allowed on NCC bike paths. In Ontario you legal speed is 32 KMH, legal motor power 500 watts, and you must wear a helmet, and be 16 or over. I would not worry about a sticker. Most d/d motors are stamped 500w on the side covers.

bionx 1954 said:
I am in Ottawa and have a regular pedal bike that is converted to a E bike. Yes I remember reading that it is suppose to have a sticker on it. I been riding now on my E bike for 7 years and never had the Police blink a eye at me. In Ottawa scooter type "E bike" are not allowed on NCC bike paths. In Ontario you legal speed is 32 KMH, legal motor power 500 watts, and you must wear a helmet, and be 16 or over. I would not worry about a sticker. Most d/d motors are stamped 500w on the side covers.

My point exactly...unfortunately for me i was featured in our local newspaper the London free Press and now they are telling me the trike is illegal ( even though it is governed by the controller so that it wont go faster than 30 kph) and complies with every other rule. I would think they would be more interested in catching bad guys rather than harass an entrepreneur.

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/09/03/electric-trike-designer-peddles-fun-prototype#comment-1574521712

John

i used to ride a 500w kit in toronto - a few years back and never had issues on public roads and bike trails
this was a normal bicycle though. with a front hub....
the current situation seems to allow them - but these bylaws seem to change all the time

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=aaf885d32acd1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD&vgnextchannel=f4d4970aa08c1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=196784

by the looks of your setup they may be confusing it for something else

I refer to the Article http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... .shtml#top. Apparently an ebike that doesnt have a label affixed to it is illegal?...my assumption reading the article is that a manufactured ebike must bear this not a kit. Anybody really know what the law is?

Sounds to me like you need to get your attorney to write them a letter and ask for clarification of the law. Endless-sphere is pretty forthcoming with free information, but legal advice, hmmmmm. Probably not.

If the powers that be are correct in regards to an ebike kit being illegal in Ontario, this is bad news for us all... The rules are much the same in many other provinces including BC where I live; I argued in a previous thread that DIY ebikes are technically illegal in most Canadian jurisdictions due to this manufacturer sticker stipulation: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59299.

As the manufacturer, you should be entitled to apply a sticker of manufacture, though you will need to get your products approved/certified by official channels (Ontario ministry of Transportation/Transport Canada?) in order to apply such a sticker. Having a registered business should open the door to this approval process. You may need to make changes to your design as they deem necessary during the approval process, which in itself may cost money.

The rest of us Canadian DIYers will just have to wing it.

Best of luck in your endeavor :)

John. The current laws in Ontario have some glaring gaps. Until they are updated and/or tested in court, these gaps will remain. But I suggest to you that if your design meets the criteria including the label, you are selling legal ebikes. If it has too much continuous power available at the drive wheel, it is no longer an ebike.

As the situation with kits isn't expressly covered in the current laws, the obvious thing to do is make the effort to buy a kit that can be compliant and install it in a compliant manner without alteration or bypassing of any required safety features. Then any sort of issue would seem very unlikely.

Based on what I have seen, I would guess that 90% of complete 'legal' ebikes sold in Ontario are actually NOT compliant due to having the capability of >500W continuous mechanical power available at the drive wheel.

rscamp said:
John. The current laws in Ontario have some glaring gaps. Until they are updated and/or tested in court, these gaps will remain. But I suggest to you that if your design meets the criteria including the label, you are selling legal ebikes. If it has too much continuous power available at the drive wheel, it is no longer an ebike.

As the situation with kits isn't expressly covered in the current laws, the obvious thing to do is make the effort to buy a kit that can be compliant and install it in a compliant manner without alteration or bypassing of any required safety features. Then any sort of issue would seem very unlikely.

Based on what I have seen, I would guess that 90% of complete 'legal' ebikes sold in Ontario are actually NOT compliant due to having the capability of >500W continuous mechanical power available at the drive wheel.

I dont think there is any question as to the ambiguity of the current legislation regarding ebikes. There are literally hundreds of people in this city alone (perhaps thousands) that drive bikes that are powered by ebike kits. For the local police force to target one individual and not the others, well..Im not worried about them giving me a ticket based on that criteria. This trike is currently in compliance, as the controller can be modified via computer. Testing would reveal that the trike would not be able to go faster than 30 KPH. Testing the power of the unit would also reveal that the CONTINUOUS power output would be 500 watts or less, but there are no current ways for the police in this city to test it anyway. There is no mention of electric bike "kits" in the legislation so this now becomes ambiguous at best..that is to say:

3. Is a power-assisted bicycle the same as an e-bike?

Yes. An e-bike is considered a power-assisted bicycle as long as it meets all the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

When i go to the Requirements of the Safety Act i find this:

Safety and Equipment Requirements
6. What safety requirements are in place for e-bikes?

To operate an e-bike on Ontario’s public roads, the following vehicle safety and operator requirements are in place:

E-bike must not weigh more than 120 kg (includes the weight of bike and battery).
All operators and passengers must be at least 16 years of age.
All operators and passengers must wear an approved bicycle or motorcycle helmets.
All electrical terminals must be completely covered.
Two independent braking systems consistent with requirements for motorcycles and motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds) that applies force to each wheel and is capable of bringing the e-bike, while being operated at a speed of 30 km/h, to a full stop within 9 metres from the point at which the brakes were applied.
The minimum wheel width or diameter shall not be less than 35mm/350mm.
No modifications to the motor to allow it to exceed a power output greater than 500W and a speed greater than 32 km/h.
The battery and motor must be securely fastened to the vehicle to prevent them from moving while the e-bike is operating.

There is no mention of a validation sticker. A manufacture compliance sticker of the bike itself is meaningless and N/A because the bike itself started life as a bicycle and now is powered, hence question number 3. In the legislation, i think they left out this crucial part as in part 18:

18. What does an e-bike label say?
Sample label

THIS VEHICLE IS A POWER
ASSISTED BICYCLE AND
MEETS ALL THE
REQUIREMENTS UNDER
SECTION 2(1) OF THE
CANADA MOTOR VEHICLE
SAFETY REGULATIONS.

Manufacturers of e-bikes must permanently affix a label, in a conspicuous location, stating in both official languages that the vehicle is a power-assisted bicycle as defined in the regulations under the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Notice that it says, MANUFACTURES OF EBIKES must affix a label. That is where the law falls down with ambiguity as far as a kit is concerned. It is my logical assertion that therefore a bike with an electric kit does NOT require a label, based on section 18 as it was NOT manufactured as an ebike!!

As a potential manufacture of an electric trike i am going to inquire as to a manufacture compliance label, but in the meantime, since my trike is in compliance with section 6 i WILL continue to drive and promote it, just as hundreds of other people in this city do every day without fear of prosecution.

Thanks for all the replies!

John

A couple of points of clarification from the governing Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations:

1. The motor (or combined motors) continuous power output rating is required to be a maximum of 500W. There is no mention of using any form of electronic limiting of current, power or torque/RPM sensing to achieve the power limit.

2. The maximum assist speed is 32km/h, not 30km/h. And it is just that - the maximum assist speed. It is not the maximum speed of the ebike. The maximum speed is limted only by the speed limit for the road. This should be made very clear - particularly to law enforcement!

1. represents a lack of understanding of the characteristics of electric motors and is pretty much unenforceable. It should be based on something that is controllable and easy to measure, like total electrical power in with a nominal allowance for motor efficiency - i.e. 500W/0.8=625W

rscamp said:
A couple of points of clarification from the governing Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations:

1. The motor (or combined motors) continuous power output rating is required to be a maximum of 500W. There is no mention of using any form of electronic limiting of current, power or torque/RPM sensing to achieve the power limit.

2. The maximum assist speed is 32km/h, not 30km/h. And it is just that - the maximum assist speed. It is not the maximum speed of the ebike. The maximum speed is limted only by the speed limit for the road. This should be made very clear - particularly to law enforcement!

1. represents a lack of understanding of the characteristics of electric motors and is pretty much unenforceable. It should be based on something that is controllable and easy to measure, like total electrical power in with a nominal allowance for motor efficiency - i.e. 500W/0.8=625W

Thanks for the clarification Rob!!

John

Back