Are kevlar or cordura pants worth it?

RideTheIon

10 mW
Does anyone here ride with kevlar jeans, cordura khakis or other protective pants?

It'd be nice to have pants that could take a few falls without getting ripped.
I had the understanding that kevlar jeans meant that the manufacturer had woven kevlar into the outer fabric. That would have been cool but nope, apparently all motorcycle jeans are denim on top of a kevlar liner.
Cordura pants are actually cordura (nylon/non-synthetic blend) on the outside.

If the pants have built in knew pads, that's a nice bonus, but I'm more concerned with protecting my upper body.
I've only semi-badly lost it once. I was going downhill on gravel and I tried to brake. I hit the ground with my shoulder and elbow first. My legs hit the ground last. After that I bought an armoured jacket :)
I ride a mountainboard so when I wipe-out the board is coming with me. I can't do one of those knee slide things people do when they bail on a half-pipe. Getting off the board is all or nothing, I'd rather fly with both feet in the bindings than have the board twist one leg.

I'm not planning on hitting asphalt at high speeds many time this summer. It might be smarter for me to buy bargain basement pants and throw them out every time I hit the ground.
It seems that under 100 euro kevlar jeans will be shot after the first fall anyway. I'm sure the 200 euro pants give better protection at motorcycle speeds, but is the outer layer that much more durable.
Cordura pants would be another alternative, but the ones that resemble normal pants and are breathable cost a lot. The cheap ones are too motocross / construction worker / urban combat to wear all day.
The local skate shops seem to offer more skate fashion than skate durable cloths.
Climbing gear shops may be a better place to look for durable cloths.

If you've found a good combo of durability, comfort, style and price, please share!

You might try to get something from a motorcycle shop, the jeans i got there have a kevlar inner pant, and they survive motorcycle crashes, as well as eboard crashes

The above is good advice, the going to a motorcycle shop suggestion not the lederhosen.

I first went to an automotive and household store. They only had kevlar jeans that felt like they weighed a few kg and were bulky as all hell, yeehaw cowboy. The cordura gear they had was the cheap motocross pants that resembled an inflatable raft.

I considered these pants made for cyclists, but then I though being scraped along asphalt is different from continuous pedaling motion.
https://www.swrve.co.uk/collections/jeans/products/cordura-reguler-fit-jeans#
It's a shame the manufacturer only says “stretch Cordura denim” and not the actual percentage of elastin, cotton and cordura.

Then I hit a shop that specialized in motorcycle clothing. After chatting up the lady there, I realized that pretty much everyone that steps through the door wants gear that won't give them a heat stroke, won't make them look like an idiot, won't break the bank, is confortable and offer some protection in a fall.
I settled on a pair of 100% cordura pants with kevlar lining that look pretty much like the pants I normally wear.
http://hanxkauppa.fi/product_details.php?p=1498
The saleslady slapped on a nice discount, so the pants were cheaper than an E-bay China special or the Swrve jeans.

Back