Are side kick stands made of steel available?

Zambam

1 kW
Stock, my Arrow 9 came with a center stand made of solid steel. I don't care for it much (not as quick as a side stand) so I replaced it with an adjustable side stand. After about 9 months use, it snapped (probably due to cheaply made aluminum). Where can I buy a stronger adjustable side stand made of steel that won't break?

IMG_3079.jpeg

Not sure if steel kickstands are available but if you don't find a new kickstand perhaps find an old steel one that will attach to your bike if you have to have adjustable and the end of your broken kickstand won't fit over the new old steel kickstand get a pipe of the correct size and length drill a hole in pipe thread the hole for a screw to adjust the kickstand.
later floyd

There are lots of steel kickstands, usually on cheap department store bikes and children's bikes. They are not brittle like cast aluminum kickstands, but they're not very strong, so they bend and loosen relatively easily.

If your bike is heavy, and its weight is relatively high up off the ground, then you should consider a two leg kickstand. Ursus makes some, Pletscher makes a very nice one.

I have had good experience with the products offered at PDW . I have not tried this new kickstand yet. Hope you find what you need.

I'm partial to Greenfield kickstands. I've broken a few kickstands but never a Greenfield. They seem to be a few steps up on the quality scale.

The standard Greenfield side stand is a USA made clone of the real deal cast aluminum stand made by Pletscher of Switzerland. They're both nice, but not surprisingly the Swiss one is nicer (and also pretty affordable, last I checked).

I have had good experience with the products offered at PDW . I have not tried this new kickstand yet. Hope you find what you need.
The PDW Sturdy Lad is rated to 88 lbs. It may be a good choice if it doesn't break. The chain stay mount unit would be better for stability for heavy saddle bag loads, which tends to rotate the bike and tip it over with the unit mounted behind the bottom bracket.
There are lots of steel kickstands, usually on cheap department store bikes and children's bikes. They are not brittle like cast aluminum kickstands, but they're not very strong, so they bend and loosen relatively easily.

If your bike is heavy, and its weight is relatively high up off the ground, then you should consider a two leg kickstand. Ursus makes some, Pletscher makes a very nice one.
The Arrow 9 came with a 2 leg kickstand from the factory. I don't like it because I have to lift the rear (bike is 72 lbs) especially if the saddle bags are loaded. That's why I want a single leg kickstand, much quicker, no lifting.

The Pletscher is rated to 25 kg (55 lbs), quite a bit lower than the PDW's 88 lbs.

Last edited:
The Arrow 9 came with a 2 leg kickstand from the factory.

There's a reason for that. The heavier the bike, the higher its center of mass, the more likely it is to fall over when set on a traditional center mounted sidestand. 2 leg kickstands avoid this problem, and rear mounted sidestands work better because they set the foot down farther from the centerline.

If you can find room for it amidst your rear disc brake and that brace between the rear stays, maybe a Greenfield rear sidestand would work for you.

There are plenty of rear axle mounted steel kickstands around, but they'll need some modification to fit on a hub motor axle, and they're kind of shabby.

s-l960.webp

Just checked. My Arrow 9 does not have tabs on the chain stay to accept a rear mount kickstand. So my only choice is a center mount kickstand like the one from Amazon that just broke after 16 months of use. I already ordered another one from aliexpress which looks like a stronger design than the one that broke (advertised as "thick anti breakage") https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...t_main.11.5f821802FOkkeF&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

If it fails, I will get the center mount PDW Sturdy Lad, which is lifetime warrantied against manufacturing defects whatever that means.

Just checked. My Arrow 9 does not have tabs on the chain stay to accept a rear mount kickstand. So my only choice is a center mount kickstand like the one from Amazon that just broke after 16 months of use.
You may not have looked closely at the photo in the link I provided above. The Greenfield rear mount kickstand does not mount to tabs. It clamps in the narrow part of the triangle between the seatstay and chainstay. Strong clamping triangulated attachment method.
stabilizer.jpg

You may not have looked closely at the photo in the link I provided above. The Greenfield rear mount kickstand does not mount to tabs. It clamps in the narrow part of the triangle between the seatstay and chainstay. Strong clamping triangulated attachment method.
stabilizer.jpg
I'm not sure if the Greenfield will work. Here's a good photo of an Arrow 9 (not my bike). There's a welded stiffener in the triangle that maybe in the way.

Arrow9.jpg

Just checked. My Arrow 9 does not have tabs on the chain stay to accept a rear mount kickstand. So my only choice is a center mount kickstand like the one from Amazon that just broke after 16 months of use.

Are you not paying attention? I just posted you a link and a photo of a rear stand that mounts to the AXLE, not to a kickstand tab. Your bike has an axle.

Are you not paying attention? I just posted you a link and a photo of a rear stand that mounts to the AXLE, not to a kickstand tab. Your bike has an axle.
You mean the ebay one that's "There are plenty of rear axle mounted steel kickstands around, but they'll need some modification to fit on a hub motor axle, and they're kind of shabby."? It gives no specs as to material and dimensions. Does look kinda shabby. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if it will fit.

I use a massive double legged stand myself:

Because I don't want my toddler to be able to tip my bike in the garage and get hurt. I don't find it any slower once you trim the ends with an angle grinder so they match how far the wheels go down and get in the habit of lifting the rear wheel slightly when you kick it down.

Because I don't want my toddler to be able to tip my bike in the garage and get hurt. I don't find it any slower once you trim the ends with an angle grinder so they match how far the wheels go down and get in the habit of lifting the rear wheel slightly when you kick it down.
How heavy is your bike? If the saddle bags are loaded with grocery, I'd be lifting 70 lbs easy. Another problem with the factory 2 legged stand is it gets caught on the curb going up or down it.

Ok, sorry to be a bit dim, but is a 70 pound lift a challenge? I mean I toss my kiddo around all the time and he has got to be up to 80 pounds now. I have to do that with just arm strength, so picking up a bike with leg strength should not be that much of a challenge I would think, also, if you are lifting it brute force style, ya need to swing by a motorcycle shop and have the nice chaps teach you the trick that lets 110pnd girls kick a 300 pound bike onto a dual stand.

I never learned it, I just yank em into place, but this is what happens when you learn how to kick in doors before you can drink legally.

I have that one on my cargo e-bike. It opens to the widest base of anything I've seen, and it's rated for a 75kg bike.

It does overcenter deeply enough that I have to lift the bike rear up to deploy the stand, rather than just pushing it down and rolling the bike back.

I have one of those Ursus Jumbo's on my ebike. It's the only stand I've found which provides what
I consider adequate stability. It does not fit every bike, you must check dimensions carefully.
The package says "no rust", but there's white corrosion a'plenty on the "aluminum", and most of the
black paint has flaked off because of it. I don't care about that, though, naked alu is fine with me.
I can't imagine that thing breaking with any kind of normal use.

Hmm yes I do see from your photo there (the green-wrapped) that the factory Arrow dual straddle stand hangs way too low when retracted. Poor design.

I do have that type on my longtail cargo ebike (Radwagon v1) and love it. It retracts to fully horizontal, nestled up under the chain stays. Not hard to use at all, even with a heavy load. You're not actually having to lift up the whole bike straight up-- just toe the stand downward until it bites the ground while pulling the bike backward (and a little upwards). There is some kind of trigonometric lever force assist happening there. If you're lifting the bike up off its wheels to flick the kickstand down you're doing it wrong.

But agreed that factory Arrow kickstand is poorly designed and I understand your desire to use an alternate method. Good luck with your new one and hope it works well for you.

There's a reason for that. The heavier the bike, the higher its center of mass, the more likely it is to fall over when set on a traditional center mounted sidestand. 2 leg kickstands avoid this problem, and rear mounted sidestands work better because they set the foot down farther from the centerline.

If you can find room for it amidst your rear disc brake and that brace between the rear stays, maybe a Greenfield rear sidestand would work for you.

There are plenty of rear axle mounted steel kickstands around, but they'll need some modification to fit on a hub motor axle, and they're kind of shabby.

s-l960.webp

Here's a good photo of the Arrow 9 rear axle. The flat is 10 mm, diameter 13.77 mm Do you think the steel kickstand in your ebay link will fit?

IMG_3107.jpeg

Yep. That's the one I use. It's been going strong for three years now. I broke anything else made of aluminum. My bike is quite heavy in the back with a direct drive motor, 1200wh of batteries and a MeanWell "charger" on board. I also frequently carry a lot of "cargo" on this bike as well.

I wonder if the OP knows how to roll a bike backward and up onto a two-legged kickstand like this. Just use your foot to stop the legs from sliding on the ground and roll backward. This levers the bike up and onto the stand. Can be a bit tricky when trying to snug a bike close to a bike rack, but otherwise not that much trouble. And I love the stability of the double leg stand when loading groceries and such.

I wonder if the OP knows how to roll a bike backward and up onto a two-legged kickstand like this. Just use your foot to stop the legs from sliding on the ground and roll backward. This levers the bike up and onto the stand.
I know how to use a 2 legged stand. My bike from the factory came with one but it is not very well designed. It does not "roll" very well. When stowed, the legs hang down too close to the ground and gets caught going up/down a high curb. A kickstand that won't break is much more convenient for me. I don't have to worry about it falling over since I always lock it up to a pole.

Back