AT12070 motor (similar to many 12070, 12090... motors)

Hi,

I am interested on that motor for another project.
Can you tell me the magnets and stator sizes?
I will run a ansys simulation to see if fits to my needs.
Building that here is more expensive than buying directly to the chinese but i have to be sure that will work first.

Regards

Hi,

I am interested on that motor for another project.
Can you tell me the magnets and stator sizes?
I will run a ansys simulation to see if fits to my needs.
Building that here is more expensive than buying directly to the chinese but i have to be sure that will work first.

Regards
The magnets are 40mm wide, stator is 105mm and there are 28 magnets (14pp)

I'm afraid it's all bolted up to the bike so i can't measure any more accurately at the moment.

Thanks!!
I am trying to make them build one with 20 magnet instead, it should be more powerfull according to ansys maxwell.

Regards

If you haven’t simulated the complete motor design then there are some parameters:
Torque depends on magnet strength, thickness, shape and magnetic circuit. Normally more poles equals more torque, on what assumptions did you get less?

Going from 28 to 20 must also fit with the number of slots and winding scheme.

More poles also equals a lower saturation of the steel so backiron and lamination tooth width can be reduced, going to 20 pole would then optimally require a different lamination design also.

Last edited:
Hey mx- so you're still a fan of this motor after thrashing it about for a while? I'm considering buying a 12090 in a few months for the Hyper Explorer frame I recently bought.

By noise, can you describe specifically what it sounds like? Is it present at all rpms, does it change/increase with speed, growl, whine, etc? That U15 motor I have makes a bit of a shriek when winding it up, which is actually cool IMO.

There are 2 bearings on the 12070 correct, and they're roughly how far apart? They've held up well?

Do you, or does anyone know if they've gone back to the thinner steel laminations by now?

Will I be able to tune it in the latest vesc-tool without much trouble as opposed to the difficult U15? The 12090 has fewer stator teeth and magnets... and is it available with hall sensors and is that advisable instead of sensorless?

I believe it's a 12mm shaft. Anyone know a source for #219 front sprockets that are compatible? I'll go with 219 chain on this build as target is 15+kw and over 60mph.

Last edited:
Hey mx- so you're still a fan of this motor after thrashing it about for a while? I'm considering buying a 12090 in a few months for the Hyper Explorer frame I recently bought.

By noise, can you describe specifically what it sounds like? Is it present at all rpms, does it change/increase with speed, growl, whine, etc? That U15 motor I have makes a bit of a shriek when winding it up, which is actually cool IMO.

There are 2 bearings on the 12070 correct, and they're roughly how far apart? They've held up well?

Do you, or does anyone know if they've gone back to the thinner steel laminations by now?

Will I be able to tune it in the latest vesc-tool without much trouble as opposed to the difficult U15? The 12090 has fewer stator teeth and magnets... and is it available with hall sensors and is that advisable instead of sensorless?

I believe it's a 12mm shaft. Anyone know a source for #219 front sprockets that are compatible? I'll go with 219 chain on this build as target is 15+kw and over 60mph.
I bought an 11 tooth sprocket from Simply Bearings UK, but I favour the belt drives since they are way quieter and can handle more power, even with 3D printed pulleys.

The motor has been good for me, not too hard to control but I generally only run it at 150A with 62kV version. That would be about 200A equivalent at 80kV like your old u15.

I doubt they have gone back to 0.2mm laminations, I actually doubt they every really used 0.2mm. Probably just a wrongly written spec. That said, I have been running it up to 1000eHz for 20 second bursts and it has not cooked.

IIRC, the math suggests it will work out as a similar overall power capacity to the u15.

I have not spent much time with this on VESC, I did note that with 20s that it got quite hot with the VESC 15kHz (30kHz in the tool) standard PWM frequency. I run it at more than double that on my firmware.

Honestly given the price of it, I would suggest you look and see if QSmotor 165 or 138 are appropriate for you. Much bigger and heavier but they are dead easy to tune compared to these outrunners. I think 15+kW is out of the range of this motor's capability. 8kW is realistic for this motor. I get 5kW regularly reported on my battery pack off road on hill climbs and have seen 6kW.

Last edited:
A-DamW- thanks much for the info. I wasn't having much luck in search for that type of sprocket.

mx- thanks as always. I'm loathe to pay the 10lb additional weight penalty for a qs165 but the ease of control, big torque, and higher real world KW are not insignificant carrots. Will ruminate. A number of months will elapse before upcoming build.

Belt drives are clean and quiet, though I believe slightly less efficient than a clean lubed chain, which are pretty quiet with proper alignment and some chainsaw bar oil. Main limitation for me would be finding a large enough rear pulley and the extra width for clearance purposes.

Back