Bafang BBSHD, 1000W, 68mm-120mm BB

I'm gonna run mine with a 18fet lyen controller till something breaks.

Something like this will be a game changer on this kit. 3-5 KW for a few seconds will certainly find the weak spots and when fixed a whole new day for the BBS system.

Start shopping for a shop to machine some bronze gears to replace those plastic ones. :lol: I will want a set also.

Looks like cell_man also sells them now: http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=215

Including bling ring 42T, so they must fit or there's already a version of the bling ring for the HD.

opperpanter said:
Looks like cell_man also sells them now: http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=215

Including bling ring 42T, so they must fit or there's already a version of the bling ring for the HD.

The em3ev page says: "We also offer the 42T Bling Ring (not yet confirmed if this is compatible)."

tln said:
opperpanter said:

The em3ev page says: "We also offer the 42T Bling Ring (not yet confirmed if this is compatible)."
Good spot, I jumped too early.

The preview rides were positive and this is why there was a hype, its why I bought one. The chainring should have been expected by everyone so it shouldn't really be a surprise.
However I am disappointed in the 30amp limit but I knew this could be a possibility. I changed my order from a 26f battery to a 25r battery because i may end up adding a mac motor to the rear wheel.

There have been some riders who have even broken their chain on the BBS02 when unrestricted and running max power. I suspect the best application for this drive is a fatbike or off-roader where the continuous loads are high enough that the BBS02 would frequently be getting hot. The BBSHD doesnt put out much extra power over the BBS02, but...it can take more heat and for much longer than the BBS02

spinningmagnets said:
There have been some riders who have even broken their chain on the BBS02 when unrestricted and running max power. I suspect the best application for this drive is a fatbike or off-roader where the continuous loads are high enough that the BBS02 would frequently be getting hot. The BBSHD doesnt put out much extra power over the BBS02, but...it can take more heat and for much longer than the BBS02

I agree,

This looks like an update to make it more robust and less prone to overheating.

Chain breaking is going to be a problem most likely with common/ cheaper old style chains on this drive. Time will tell, but even pedal only bikes see older style basic chains breaking with stronger riders pushing through gnarly sections. These will most likely need a ebike duty chain if putting the 160NM of torque out regularly. This is up significantly from 120NM of the BBS02. Bigger stack motor and significantly more amps from the controller (20A safe, 25 pushing it, to 30 amps safe) will spell trouble for the plastic gears if it is not made much stronger. Would like to see the bbs02 with the larger cooling fins, something like the new 30A controller and some bronze or steel gears on the primary side with good hard gears on the secondary side. "Pro" version. Much better option for a light weight cross country build. Would be good with external controller optional hookup, something like a phase runner which can be moved away from the hot motor case.

Are there any posts on how to connect the Lyen controllers to the BBS02 or the HD? Even the Lyen 12 FET would be more than adequate. The CA3 has input for a temperature sensor (sold by Grin Tech) which would automatically reduce power when the motor reaches a certain temperature. This would probably help the plastic gear also. The plastic gears that failed in my BBL02 looked melted. (BTW: I was running a 34tooth raceface on the BBS02 when the plastic gear failed)
Dale

sather said:
Are there any posts on how to connect the Lyen controllers to the BBS02 or the HD? Even the Lyen 12 FET would be more than adequate. The CA3 has input for a temperature sensor (sold by Grin Tech) which would automatically reduce power when the motor reaches a certain temperature. This would probably help the plastic gear also. The plastic gears that failed in my BBL02 looked melted. (BTW: I was running a 34tooth raceface on the BBS02 when the plastic gear failed)
Dale

What was your top speed with the raceface.

I bought mine for commuting with some light trails/wood in the weekend.
No rock hopping or technical stuff.

On regards to the 12fet lyen. At that point it may be best to get a different kit all together.
Like a cyclone or lightning rods.

Temperature is key with plastic gears. Moisture also. Great lubricity and wear for light duty use.

img40.gif

img41.gif

The Bafang BBS02 top speed is approx. 21mph with a 26 inch fat bike tire (28.5 inch diameter) and 80rpm cadence (34t front and 11t rear).

The 100mm Lightning Rod 3000 weighs 22 lbs (more than twice the weight of a Bafang BBS02) and is not stealthy. The LR big block is large, visually imposing and noisy. The motor whirrs loudly and the go kart chain is very noisy ( when compared to a Bafang BBS02 or hub motor).

I already have a Bafang BBS02 and looking for a way to use it and not be left stranded miles from nowhere when it fails.

The Bling ring and other premium chainring options will not work, its a different bolt pattern. Myself and a bunch of other vendors are working on a suitable premium replacement ring for the HD which hopefully should be available when the bulk of the motors start shipping.

Something like this will be a game changer on this kit. 3-5 KW for a few seconds will certainly find the weak spots and when fixed a whole new day for the BBS system.

Start shopping for a shop to machine some bronze gears to replace those plastic ones. :lol: I will want a set also.

Yes it will be a game changer because no one will buy the BBS02 after ! putting a Bronze gear will defeat the main purpose of it that it is quiet ! That's why they use plastic.

Also others have talked about an external Lyen controller to solve the controller problems. Well if you do that you loose the other main benefit in that its compact and clean finish. If the BBS02 has a bronze gear and external controller you pretty much have the worst of everything !

its known to be heavier as it has a lower KV motor for the power it has compared to the Cyclone/AFT 36v 960w kit. But it will be noisy and costlier as well with all those modifications! Then on top of that you have a very complicated and weak gearbox design to repair and rebuild .

I'm not sure you get the worst of everything with an external controller and bronze gear.
With a controller like the Grin Phaserunner, only 99 x 40 x 34 in size, it would be easy to tuck away. http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/controllers/c-phaserunner.html
Also I think that a bronze gear would be more quite than a steel gear. If the nylon gear needs to be changed twice a year with heavy riding, thats to often for me!
Maybe a composite gear and a way to re-program the controller to 40A, would be the holy grail..

TorEddy said:
I'm not sure you get the worst of everything with an external controller and bronze gear.
With a controller like the Grin Phaserunner, only 99 x 40 x 34 in size, it would be easy to tuck away. http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/controllers/c-phaserunner.html
Also I think that a bronze gear would be more quite than a steel gear. If the nylon gear needs to be changed twice a year with heavy riding, thats to often for me!
Maybe a composite gear and a way to re-program the controller to 40A, would be the holy grail..

I'm surprised someone hasn't gone and offered it as an option - enough people seem to be concerned about "plastic", how difficult would it be to machine a metal gear or make a composite one?

Ade said:
TorEddy said:

I'm surprised someone hasn't gone and offered it as an option - enough people seem to be concerned about "plastic", how difficult would it be to machine a metal gear or make a composite one?

This should be a job for companies like e-Rad.
What else are they contributing to, except for the gear shift detection..?

speedmd said:
BBS02 dwg has the bcd at 81mm.
Bafang01550.jpg

81mm diameter are the m4 threads on the backside of the motor...

P.s. The Plastik gear is perfekt and strong, I love the silence! If you blast arround full throttle it is just going to melt so is the rest of the Motor.

The BBS 02 is a blast for 300W continous trailriding, where you pedal on top with short 1000W brusts. I love it!

It is just not made for full throttle commuting at 1200W.

Does anyone have some detailed Pictures from the BBSHD? how is the chainline, it seams to have the same sprocket Mount the BBS02 has. is there any Chance to get a 30T sprocket on with a chainline similar to the BBS02?

Not sure it would be loud with metal primary gears. The helical cut allows a much quieter mesh. Certainly worth looking at. Regardless, if the plastic ones can not take the heat or torque it is a fail that is not worth making and will kill the product demand and versatility of the kit.

External controller opens it up to higher voltages and currents, FOC, torque sensing and all other CA options. You can hide the controller anywhere you like.

Found the original /spare chain ring for the BBS02 and did some measurements. Correct the 81mm is wrong and the motor side. BCD on the ring is very near 60.45mm -60.46mm; Center hole is just over 50mm at 50.18mm. Screw clearance holes are drilled at 5.28mm.

speedmd said:
Not sure it would be loud with metal primary gears. The helical cut allows a much quieter mesh. Certainly worth looking at. Regardless, if the plastic ones can not take the heat or torque it is a fail that is not worth making and will kill the product demand and versatility of the kit.

A fail is the 46T Chainring, if you change that to 32T you won't have much Problems and can still go 25mph...

You can destroy everything be overvolting and to much amps.
When I go trails riding with the BBS02 I ride the bike hard to the absolut Limit that is still not the Limit of the BBS02.

But if I try to go as fast as I can full throttle on the road for several miles it gets hot. So better not use it for that! If you go full throttle all the time on your car you are going to break something at least it is not lasting very long(I can confirm that ;) ).

The BBS 02 is a nice smooth and very strong Pedal on unit and not for going 30mph on a straight road without pedaling... So the fail is the user...

@ spinningmagnets: I can measue the exakt Diameters in CAD to double check. I had some chainring adapters made that fit fine :)

The 32 T gives a terrible chain line on this kit. Agree, it would reduce the torque demands on the gearing, but it would be much better with larger fins and stronger gears even for folks running them easy. The weakest link needs to be external, not internal IMO. It can generate the torque, but can not last delivering it, makes it a short lived item. It is just plain old "poor quality" /low product robustness engineered into the product. Sort of like a craftsman circular saw. Rated as a high BHP saw and the first few times you put it to some challenging work and the gear box blows up. Something with proper gearing like a commercial makita or like pro saw line can get overloaded hundreds of times before it finally gives up in a ball of fire with the gorilla operating it. :twisted: They have tons of technology in the controller system that can easily handle adding thermal rollback and should be incorporated ASAP. Just to protect the plastic drive train if nothing else.

Back