Bafang geared brushless or a BMC?

banmac

10 µW
Greetings from Sydney!

I need some help to understand the pro/cons of a Bafang geared brushless verses a BMC (chinese origin not india), laced into a 26" rear on a hybrid for commuting to/from work (10km each way), with moderate hills along the way?

I see both are mentioned over the breadth of this forum.

I'm looking to make a choice for my 1st project and I need to listen and learn from those who have some experience in either one (or both!)

Many thanks.

I've never seen a Bafang in person, but they are very similar to the BMC in construction, just smaller.

The newest BMC motors come with a new type of composite gear material that should be stronger than nylon.

I'd say the BMC would be the choice for high power applications or where you need to climb very steep hills.
The Bafang is lighter and may be more efficient for medium power applications.

The newest BMC motors come with a new type of composite gear material that should be stronger than nylon.

To be clear here, the China BMC motors and the India BMC are different.

Do you mean that the newer China BMCs have the composite gear material?

Hi Banmac,

Bafang get a big thumbs up from me. I have put 400 km on mine to date with no problems at all. I run the 36v 20" version at 44.4v limited to 5.6 amps for our 200w rule. At the original 17 amp controller limit it would pull like a truck compared to my direct drive hub motor.

Price is the real winner, Crazyman does a great deal but the Aussie dollar isn't your friend at the moment. Make sure you get a couple of sets of spare gears, cost next to nothing.

Just be aware that you will need to spoke it into a rim yourself, you should have no problems with a 26" mtb rim but I had to get spokes cut for my 20" deep V rim.

No experience with the BMC.

Cheers
Derek

Thanks for that. In addition, the BMC world is getting harder to navigate at the moment with new announcements about motors in their range....and they certainly look pricey.

Is your set up front or rear rim hub?

Back