Bajaboard 4wd full suspension

sk8norcal

1 MW
http://www.surfingdirt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7486
https://www.facebook.com/BajaBoard

9604335129_80569aa32d_c.jpg

Very nice steering mechanism! I wonder about the weight, riding comfort (height of the board) and resistance to dirt though :)

Hey guys!

My name is James and I am the creator and engineer of the Baja Board.

I had the idea since I was young and we have recently completed the first prototype of the original idea.

It has 4 3000W motors and 12s controllers from Alien power systems.
Remote control dual throttle (front axle/rear axle) and an electronic diff
Full suspension with servo controlled dampening
Independent steering
12 inch wheels
top speed calculated 60kmhr+ (test ridden to about 40kmhr)
and it can do jumps!

I would like to bounce this idea off you guys and your feedback would be much appreciated!

We recently completed a test ride/ video day and some vids and photos will be posted soon!

james_baja said:
- Remote control dual throttle (front axle/rear axle) and an electronic diff
- Full suspension with servo controlled dampening
- We recently completed a test ride/ video day and some vids and photos will be posted soon!

I like these points most :D I can't wait for the vids to see how manageable it is. What's the total weight? Can you share the total build cost as well?
Thx

The board handles quite well, there have been a few teething problems with the steering but its also just getting the practice of actually how to ride the thing.

It feels very close to snowboarding and skating but then you have the added power from beneath your feet, Ive had to change my riding style and have been playing around with the position of the bindings.

that is a nice looking bit of kit! something i like to thing i would have designed! lol..
how are you driving the wheels ,with shafts? through a gearbox?
My dual 3Kw board is powerful -that thing must really shift....!!! insane!!

beetbocks said:
how are you driving the wheels ,with shafts? through a gearbox?
Hi Beets,

On their FB page, you can find a few more pics. You can see there that they're driving through a belt/chain with housing around it.

yeh everything worked out pretty well, I have over engineered it though so that we can treat is as a test bench and drill, cut and do whatever to it without it really losing structural integrity.

I think the wheels are just a bit big though, it was designed to take 10 inch wheels with a larger width but in the end we went with 12 inch bike tyres. The side profile is a bit big and it seems to roll on them too much so we have found a company that is going to make some 10inch wheels and tyres with the same width.

Dude...!

Could you shed some light on the amount of engineering & build hours as well as on budget?

Would be great!

So currently we just use a hand controller, but we are designing another system.

Engineering wise :

Generation 1
2 years designing, designed about 4 in total and chose this one for our first generation
3 Months build
full independent suspension
front and rear upright steering (independent)
servo controlled air spring shock absorbers about 70mm of travel
1 motor per wheel (1:4 ratio) belt drive
12 inch standard bike tires
170 kV alien drive system on each wheel with e-diff
run between 22 -44 volts on each controller

Generation 2 (featured at the end of the video)
6 months design
fabrication has started
about 3/4 size generation 1
front and rear upright steering (independent)
10 inch custom tires
half the weight of gen 1
more torque (5:1 ratio 130kv motors)
dynamic suspension
servo controlled shocks
heaps of carbon fibre 8)
due to be completed early November

thinking of doing a kickstarter mid November

like our facebook to keep up to date!

Thanks for sharing

I had my doubts, but if you're really going 55km/h without shaking, face-planting, wobbling whatsoever, it must truly be an amazing build and all the suspension must be worth it!

Maybe a stupid question, but how do you brake this thing when having to make an emergency stop at 55kmh?

Back