• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Balance wiring harness

I've been putting uneven packs together for years. Here's some of my drawings that might help. When putting multiple balance plugs together to make 1 larger one, only the first (or last) uses all the wires unlesss you connect the extra wire together with the first wire of the next pack. Are you confused now? Well, just look at the drawings. They are correct. Don't make this harder than it is. It's really simple.
3-4s+2s-to-2-7s.jpg3-4s-to-2-6s-charger.jpg3s+4s-to-7s-plug.jpg

Attachments

• 3-4s-to-2-6s.jpg
    3-4s-to-2-6s.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 878
wesnewell said:
I've been putting uneven packs together for years. Here's some of my drawings that might help. When putting multiple balance plugs together to make 1 larger one, only the first (or last) uses all the wires unlesss you connect the extra wire together with the first wire of the next pack. Are you confused now? Well, just look at the drawings. They are correct. Don't make this harder than it is. It's really simple.
View attachment 3View attachment 1

Can you balance charge all of the pack in one go? As far as I can see, I have only missed out the red balance connection in your drawing, which is duplicated by the power wire. Surely that's ok?

C.

yes, that's fine as explained in my first post.

camerart said:
camerart said:
Thanks, all opinions welcome. I always read up on any subject, before starting, I asked the question to get verification. So far I have 50% saying the wiring in #1 is ok. If anyone else answers, I'll wait till I get more than 80% saying it's ok, before starting or 80% saying it's not ok before changing it.

Agree: Me, wesnewell.
Disagree: Dogman Dan, Dnmun

C.

Another one for the disagree section.

Disagree: Dogman Dan, Dnmun, Jaunty.

actually, i just didn't understand the schematic drawing. I see now that the angled lines are not connected at the batteries.

I do see that you have two wires coming out of the middle nodes which seems redundant. But i suppose that's ok if you're required to do that because of the plugs you're using.

jaunty said:
camerart said:
camerart said:
Thanks, all opinions welcome. I always read up on any subject, before starting, I asked the question to get verification. So far I have 50% saying the wiring in #1 is ok. If anyone else answers, I'll wait till I get more than 80% saying it's ok, before starting or 80% saying it's not ok before changing it.

Disagree: Dogman Dan, Dnmun

C.

Another one for the disagree section.

Disagree: Dogman Dan, Dnmun, Jaunty.

actually, i just didn't understand the schematic drawing. I see now that the angled lines are not connected at the batteries.

I do see that you have two wires coming out of the middle nodes which seems redundant. But i suppose that's ok if you're required to do that because of the plugs you're using.

Ah good! I should have made the drawing clearer in the first place.

C.

Those drawings Wes put up are correct. Yer on the right track now.

Does anyone know if there are premade 2x6s JST-XH to 12S JST-XH balance adapters that can plug into a female JST-XH 12s BMS (i.e. a plug 'n play 12S BMS solution for 6S LiPo packs?) I want to transition from an RC charger to a BMS but soldering all of those little wires is not my idea of a good time. I have two battery packs so making the adapters (with my crappy iron and skills) would take me forever.

Buy a 12s pigtail and plug into bms. Take 13 butt splices and crimp 2 6s receptacle pigtails on it. No soldering required.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12S-JST-XH-2-5MM-XH2-5-Connector-balance-wire-50CM-Cable-CellLog-13PIN-MALE-24-/151644403239
Cut the 2 6s receptacles off this. Buy some but splices or solder the wires together.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-PARALLEL-SPLIT-JST-XH-6S-6-CELL-BALANCE-CORD-6-LIPO-BATTERY-/381149984380

Having given this more thought, I have now removed the extra wire connection from my wiring, because they are not needed and in the unlikely event of the power connection between two of the batteries was broken,then the high charge/discharge current would pass along the balance wires.

C.

Attachments

• Battery pack.jpg
    Battery pack.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 571
Back