Bb type for bbs02

Oic20v

100 µW
Hi all
I have a gaint trance 26inch with bbs02 750w and 50v 16ah (29e), all brought from Paul at emvev.
I am looking at buying a new frame 27.5inch for my motor and battery.
My first option is Santa cruz heckle which has a standard bb 73mm, but no one has stock.
After looking at other different frames, all the new bb30, press fit bb and etc.... Are really confusing me.
So my question is what other bb types can I fit the bbs02 to?
Do all other bb type have the same diameters and diffrent widths?
Can a carbon frame bike with a bb which has a metal insert be fitted with bbs02?
My knowledge of bb is very limited and I had read a post some where about different bb types, but I dont truly understand it 100%, please help.

Hope you understand my question, English isn't my first language.
Thanks in advance

BBS02 requires a 68-73mm bottom bracket. The ID of the bottom bracket needs to be I think atleast 33mm. When I installed this on my Speciailzed Hardrock 29r I hit a snag where the ID was like ~30mm. I bought an adjustable reamer kit from Harbor Freight to ream the ID bigger to fit the BBS02. See this video and part 2 for someone with a similar issue that I had:
[youtube]ef4SK5L854U[/youtube]

Hi hxcadam
Thanks for the reply, but I am after if the bbs02 can fit the newer style bb, like bb30 or press fit bb and etc.
Because I am in the market for a new bike frame with dual suspension, and I found out not a lot of new frames on the market use the standard threaded bb anymore.

Thanks again for your reply though if I can find a frame with your problem I will know what to buy to fix the id of the bb. :D

Look at the Huttlin E Roadster just because it has a carbon frame and BBS02.

2old said:
Look at the Huttlin E Roadster just because it has a carbon frame and BBS02.
Thanks 2old that bike looks nice, so u can fit a bafang to a carbon frame.
Any idea what bb type they use? To bad I am in the market for a dual suspension frame if not I might give that a go. :D

Oic, no idea, but I THINK some of the newer BB styles have inserts that accommodate the old "English" systems. Look at ebay for full suspension carbon frames and check MTBR for more pages than you'll ever care to read of reports on various Chinese carbon full suspension frames, some with old style BB's and very commendable products. Good luck.

I looked into this and it depends on a few factors

-thickness of the bb shell. For example, carbon frames often have very thick bb's and the bafang will not clear it.
There is minimal clearance between the motor and the axle that slides into the bb.

Further, the driveside of the bafang has a channel that fits over the bb shell. That channel would hit most carbon frames and not allow the bafang to set in solidly, and further mess with your chainline.

-the Bafang relies on a clamping force on the bb shell face. It really needs to be aluminum or steel.
-most carbon frames, the carbon material is flush to the alloy bb shell. The clamp of the bafang would crush that carbon, and possibly compromise the frame.

-BB30 (not BB30 pressfit) has an adapter available to convert to standard 68-73mm bb. It is pressed into the BB30 shell.
I suspect a metal framed BB30 could be made to fit a Bafang- depending on clearance factors

-BB30 pressfit usually has lips machined inside the shell which make it unadaptable to standard bb adapters

-Although it is a kit, the bafang clearly is engineered for standard steel or alloy bb's.
In that scenario, fits very easily.
-One can fit it to anything, if you have machining or fabricating skills- not too difficult.

Thanks cruiser, that make a lot of sence, I wouldn't be using a carbon frame but am still looking at a alloy frame with dual suspension with good travel any suggestions?
I currently have a gaint trance but the motor hangs too low and with it being a 26, it just doesn't work that will in trails going over rocks without hitting the motor.

If you have clearance in the triangle, you can spin the motor up and mount it so it is above the bb
It won't hang low that way
Unless you go 29 it will hang low and be vulnerable- even then it is vulnerable
Fab a skid plate is an option or clock the entire motor if you have the space

adli3381 said:
Oic20v,

did you get the Bafang kit to work on Giant Trance? though its low, but does it fit? do you need to do anything to make it fit?

Hi adli3381
My giant trance fitted the bafang kit with no problem, but it's an old trance from 2009-2010, so it have a standard threaded bb.
But I think the newer ones come with a press fit bb. Not 100% sure though.
Hope it helps
Oic20v

Back